The official running thread™

waiting on times as mine porked out but it was a good run, im hoping to be around my goal but anything south of 27 will do
 
Just got back from a veeeerry slow 17km run. Lot of walking in the last few kms. One of the guys I was with was battling with a sore back so we took it easy. Still, all time on the legs.
 

Did it and tbh it was cr@p. It was a single track so ended up mostly walking behind packs of people out for a stroll. If I actually ran 3k's in total it would be a miracle.

Time is going to suck donkey's balls. Ah well at least I have my first 10k under my belt. At least the badges make a nice pic.

IMG_20190526_095728 (Copy).jpg
 
Finally got rid of my cold and got out for a 7km run in 42 minutes yesterday. Getting tired of 6 minute km's so might try and get that down a bit. Next competitive run a 14km trailrun mid June.
 
12km in 1:18. My last long run before my first competitive race on Saturday.

Kinda nervous. Any tips for the days leading up to a race?
 
12km in 1:18. My last long run before my first competitive race on Saturday.

Kinda nervous. Any tips for the days leading up to a race?

How far are you running? Try increase your water consumption in the days leading up to the race while cutting back on processed sugar and alcohol (tough, I know! :p ). Otherwise don't change too much. Your body is used to what you are putting into it so to drastically change a diet or try something new could be more detrimental than beneficial.
 
How far are you running? Try increase your water consumption in the days leading up to the race while cutting back on processed sugar and alcohol (tough, I know! ). Otherwise don't change too much. Your body is used to what you are putting into it so to drastically change a diet or try something new could be more detrimental than beneficial.
Thanks man. It's a 10k. Alcohol has been cut out long ago, and I try to keep the sugar intake under control.

What about mentally, what do you do to stay relaxed? I dagga, but a little nervous to get high before a run.
 
Thanks man. It's a 10k. Alcohol has been cut out long ago, and I try to keep the sugar intake under control.

What about mentally, what do you do to stay relaxed? I dagga, but a little nervous to get high before a run.

Lol, I can't help you there unfortunately. Have never indulged in that :D. I would imagine though that it probably isn't the smartest thing to do since you're going to dehydrate during the run which wouldn't be a good combination with the narcotic effects of cannabis. I don't have any techniques for relaxing pre-race. I just make sure I've been to the toilet because trying to run with a full bladder or when you're touching cloth is not pleasant.

Are you doing it alone or with mates? With mates is definitely best because having a laugh with them at the start line (or snapping a few pics if you carry a phone with you) does make it easier. Generally though, once the gun goes off and you get into your stride, you will naturally relax.

EDIT: Don't put any undue pressure on yourself regarding your result. If you go out there and enjoy yourself, the result will come naturally.
 
1:24:02 :oops:

I know I expected my first 10k TR to be around 1:20 but this is awful.

Think I will stick to 5k's in future.
 
Lol, I can't help you there unfortunately. Have never indulged in that :D. I would imagine though that it probably isn't the smartest thing to do since you're going to dehydrate during the run which wouldn't be a good combination with the narcotic effects of cannabis. I don't have any techniques for relaxing pre-race. I just make sure I've been to the toilet because trying to run with a full bladder or when you're touching cloth is not pleasant.

Are you doing it alone or with mates? With mates is definitely best because having a laugh with them at the start line (or snapping a few pics if you carry a phone with you) does make it easier. Generally though, once the gun goes off and you get into your stride, you will naturally relax.

EDIT: Don't put any undue pressure on yourself regarding your result. If you go out there and enjoy yourself, the result will come naturally.
Related question: do they do random drug tests at these events?
 
Related question: do they do random drug tests at these events?

Nope. I think the only time you might be subjected to a test of sort is if you had to win an international marathon. That going to happen anytime soon?
 
1:24:02 :oops:

I know I expected my first 10k TR to be around 1:20 but this is awful.

Think I will stick to 5k's in future.

Nah, kak stories! You might have just had a bad day at the office. These things happen. Stick with it.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X