The official running thread™

recommendations on affordable shoes for different foot running types?

i need to go get checked still but want to get a gauge on pricing
 
recommendations on affordable shoes for different foot running types?

i need to go get checked still but want to get a gauge on pricing
I alternate between Asics Gel Kayano and Kalenji Run 100's and i find the lightness of the 100's to be a big plus.

NB seems to be the current go to running shoe.
 
Getting mild shin pains since changing shoes to NB Rsomething. My previous pair was also NB and didn't cause this issue.

Recommendations for good shoes or something what to do to avoid what seems like mild splints?
 
Getting mild shin pains since changing shoes to NB Rsomething. My previous pair was also NB and didn't cause this issue.

Recommendations for good shoes or something what to do to avoid what seems like mild splints?

Have you also increased your weekly mileage significantly? It is very hard to make any recommendations on shoes that will work for other people. You sort of have to find what works for you, which can be an expensive or frustrating experience. But going to a proper running shoe store is a good start. Not sure where you are based, but some good Gauteng based stores:
You can also do some basic exercises to improve your strength and mobility. Some examples here.
 
recommendations on affordable shoes for different foot running types?

i need to go get checked still but want to get a gauge on pricing

Keep an eye on onedayonly they often have running shoes on for about R1500 this week they had great deals on HOKA and last week was New balance. I think you generally pay around 2k+ for shoes unless you can source some last gen shoes.
 
Getting mild shin pains since changing shoes to NB Rsomething. My previous pair was also NB and didn't cause this issue.

Recommendations for good shoes or something what to do to avoid what seems like mild splints?

You get two types of shin splints anterior and posterior shin splints both require a different type of shoe to help. I have really suffered this year (since December last year arg) with shin splints, I have done everything from orthotics - strengthening - buying a bike - bio - buying 3 pairs of new shoes and all I can say is I think everything as a collective helped.

Best advice is take it slow, like take a week-3 weeks break and the next week only do a slow 5k then sleep on it and see how they feel. Take 2 days between running and slowly build back up to your mileage again 10% rule. For me as soon as I tried to do too much it set me back weeks and I had to start all over again.

Only just got myself up to the 60km - 70km per week mark again and still need to take off some days when I push too hard.
 
Hey guys

Anyone doing the versus / asics runs?

I registered for v4.0 for tomorrow. Do I need to link strava somehow or grant them permission?
 
I've been doing a short 4-5km run once per week, for a couple months now. Today I did my fastest pace (average pace per km) yet my average HR was lower than normal.
Seems I am very affected by weather and when it's cooler I run faster with a lot less effort.
I realize this is kind of an obvious statement, but it's the degree of difference caused by the cool weather that surprised me most.
Is this fairly common, especially for you more seasoned runners?
 
I've been doing a short 4-5km run once per week, for a couple months now. Today I did my fastest pace (average pace per km) yet my average HR was lower than normal.
Seems I am very affected by weather and when it's cooler I run faster with a lot less effort.
I realize this is kind of an obvious statement, but it's the degree of difference caused by the cool weather that surprised me most.
Is this fairly common, especially for you more seasoned runners?
I've also noticed a massive difference. I mean, yeah, it's to be expected - I just didn't expect it to be such a huge difference. Just shade vs sun already makes a large difference to my hr.
 
I've been doing a short 4-5km run once per week, for a couple months now. Today I did my fastest pace (average pace per km) yet my average HR was lower than normal.
Seems I am very affected by weather and when it's cooler I run faster with a lot less effort.
I realize this is kind of an obvious statement, but it's the degree of difference caused by the cool weather that surprised me most.
Is this fairly common, especially for you more seasoned runners?

Here in Gauteng, I always feel that I run best in the autumn - about April/May time. Nice sunny mornings, not too hot, not too cold.
 
I've been doing a short 4-5km run once per week, for a couple months now. Today I did my fastest pace (average pace per km) yet my average HR was lower than normal.
Seems I am very affected by weather and when it's cooler I run faster with a lot less effort.
I realize this is kind of an obvious statement, but it's the degree of difference caused by the cool weather that surprised me most.
Is this fairly common, especially for you more seasoned runners?
Heat/Cool plays a is a massive factor as the cooler temperature has higher oxygen density but also dehydration affects your performance.
Comrades 2013 had the highest percentage of non finishers as it was one of the the hottest and windiest on record.

Well done on the weekly runs. How's your time?
 
I have recently started running and am finding myself with tendon pain for the last two days. I am not even able to use my standing desk for extended periods of time without having pain. (The tendon pops/clicks as well). Dr Google says that it is my peroneal tendon that's acting up.

There isn't a particular event that caused this injury and looking at my running data below it is possible that this pain is as a result of my increased workout time and distance as of three days ago.

Would an ankle brace/lace help here and can anyone recommend a decent one? I would like to avoid further injury here as far as possible. Also, I assume I would still be able to use my same road running shoes with this?

I've searched this thread for related info, yet I was not able to find any. Apologies if this has been asked before.Screenshot_20201010-154710.jpgScreenshot_20201010-154748.jpgScreenshot_20201010-154806.jpg
 
@now05ster You are increasing your speed + distance at the same time. You are asking for injury. Only ever work on one of them at a time.

Early in your running career you are going to face niggles here in there. If its too painful to run then make sure you rest. If it doesn't subside after a few days then go see a physio. If you are itching to get back on the road/trails, do a combination of running and walking (eg: walk for 3min, run for 2min - max 30min)

Whenever I am training for an ultra, I always work in 4 week blocks. Let's say you start with 50km of mileage in week 1. You increase by only +-10% for week 2 (55km), and then the same for week 3 (60km+-). Week 4 you head back to your week 1 mileage ('recovery'). In week 5 (new block), you start on your original week 2 mileage (55km). You then build up again. Usually 3-4 blocks does the trick depending on the ultra distance / conditions.

The same principle can apply for any distance in my opinion. Always respect the 10% mileage limit.

Lastly, the right shoes play a role for certain people, however you can just be like me. I only wear Salomon's (their trail shoes - Sense Rides, Pro's and Ultra Pro's) for both the road and trail. Always worked for me. Some shoes are just good all rounders.
 
@now05ster You are increasing your speed + distance at the same time. You are asking for injury. Only ever work on one of them at a time.

Early in your running career you are going to face niggles here in there. If its too painful to run then make sure you rest. If it doesn't subside after a few days then go see a physio. If you are itching to get back on the road/trails, do a combination of running and walking (eg: walk for 3min, run for 2min - max 30min)

Whenever I am training for an ultra, I always work in 4 week blocks. Let's say you start with 50km of mileage in week 1. You increase by only +-10% for week 2 (55km), and then the same for week 3 (60km+-). Week 4 you head back to your week 1 mileage ('recovery'). In week 5 (new block), you start on your original week 2 mileage (55km). You then build up again. Usually 3-4 blocks does the trick depending on the ultra distance / conditions.

The same principle can apply for any distance in my opinion. Always respect the 10% mileage limit.

Lastly, the right shoes play a role for certain people, however you can just be like me. I only wear Salomon's (their trail shoes - Sense Rides, Pro's and Ultra Pro's) for both the road and trail. Always worked for me. Some shoes are just good all rounders.
OK. Thank you for this. I think that I might need to address the probable cause of the issue by adjusting my running routine.

My goal for now is to achieve an average of 80% max heart rate for 30 minutes a day. I can therefore comfortably reduce my pace.

Keen to see a biokineticist sometime and give this thread a read through.

Man, running is awesome.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X