The official Ubiquiti Devices Q&A Thread

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Starting this thread as search doesn't bring something like this up.

A place to ask and answer Ubiquiti related questions for newbies and experts alike.

If there is a already a thread, please point it out

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
My newbie questions

Hi,

Want to install two ubiquiti ac lite or maybe one ac lite and AC LR in my home. Thinking of replacing my mikrotik hap ac lite with a UAG too.

Use case is max of three SSID.
Home, home automation and guests.

Home is for all residents. They have full access to net and HA net devices. My NAS, and alarm, CCTV will be here too.

Home Automation Net:
I want all my HA devices to be seperated and monitored. Thinking of also putting my alexas, Google home devices, chrome casts,firetvs, Apple TV in this network.

Guest. Simple guest network with password for guest to have access to net but not any other devices.

Questions:-
1. How important is it to have a clould controller / key? Is is the secret sauce that gives you the awesome stats, etc? Do I have to buy it or can I use the free cloud based one that apparently all Ubiquiti devices can use?

2. If I buy the UAG, will it make managing the three SSIDS and their network rules easier? I guess I am going to have to work out how to NAT/Pat traffic from home LAN to HA LAN for all devices located on Home lan to see the alexas, cast to chrome/ airplay, etc? Because typically all devices at home are on one flat network making discovery easier. Putting them on seperate networks is going to require extra work..

3. Each network will require its own VLAN, I Assume, so do I get a VLAN capable switch or can the UAG handle this. I have a dumb gigabit switch for the Home LAN Already.

4. I want my apple TVs and Firesticks to send all traffic via a VPN, (may do this for devices on my HA LAN) , so that at least for the media devices, I could use NordVPN defined on the UAG or similar to get access to US. / UK catalogues of Netflix/amazon prime. Using NordVPN on my ipad makes Netflix us/UK work but when i do the same via mikrotik router, it never works.

Thx in advance

Last edited:

phil77

I don't know much about networking but i have an ac lite mounted to the ceiling and an edgerouter x connected to the fibre cpe.

I started with the ac lite and the unifi controller has always given me problems with logins or the controller not "seeing" the ac lite. I will probably need to reset it again to change settings on the ac lite.

I have 2 ssids, main and guest, guest has speed limits and also can't see other devices on the network.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
I don't know much about networking but i have an ac lite mounted to the ceiling and an edgerouter x connected to the fibre cpe.

I started with the ac lite and the unifi controller has always given me problems with logins or the controller not "seeing" the ac lite. I will probably need to reset it again to change settings on the ac lite.

I have 2 ssids, main and guest, guest has speed limits and also can't see other devices on the network.
Are you happy with it ? No experience of the controller but could your firewall settings be blocking access from controller to APs?

phil77

Are you happy with it ? No experience of the controller but could your firewall settings be blocking access from controller to APs?
It could be that, i remember reading about it. I am happy with it and would recommend the system but i'ts just not for people who want a "plug and play" solution.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
My newbie questions

Hi,

Want to install two ubiquiti ac lite or maybe one ac lite and AC LR in my home. Thinking of replacing my mikrotik hap ac lite with a UAG too.

Use case is max of three SSID.
Home, home automation and guests.

Home is for all residents. They have full access to net and HA net devices. My NAS, and alarm, CCTV will be here too.

Home Automation Net:
I want all my HA devices to be seperated and monitored. Thinking of also putting my alexas, Google home devices, chrome casts,firetvs, Apple TV in this network.

Guest. Simple guest network with password for guest to have access to net but not any other devices.

Questions:-
1. How important is it to have a clould controller / key? Is is the secret sauce that gives you the awesome stats, etc? Do I have to buy it or can I use the free cloud based one that apparently all Ubiquiti devices can use?

2. If I buy the UAG, will it make managing the three SSIDS and their network rules easier? I guess I am going to have to work out how to NAT/Pat traffic from home LAN to HA LAN for all devices located on Home lan to see the alexas, cast to chrome/ airplay, etc? Because typically all devices at home are on one flat network making discovery easier. Putting them on seperate networks is going to require extra work..

3. Each network will require its own VLAN, I Assume, so do I get a VLAN capable switch or can the UAG handle this. I have a dumb gigabit switch for the Home LAN Already.

4. I want my apple TVs and Firesticks to send all traffic via a VPN, (may do this for devices on my HA LAN) , so that at least for the media devices, I could use NordVPN defined on the UAG or similar to get access to US. / UK catalogues of Netflix/amazon prime. Using NordVPN on my ipad makes Netflix us/UK work but when i do the same via mikrotik router, it never works.

Thx in advance
If you want the controller there are other options as well. I know people who are running theirs on a Raspberry pi 3, and others who are running theirs on the free-forever Google Cloud Platform instance.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
If you want the controller there are other options as well. I know people who are running theirs on a Raspberry pi 3, and others who are running theirs on the free-forever Google Cloud Platform instance.
Thx. May just get a key and be done with it. Keep everything security related on prem... Already have 3 pis, (2x kodi, 1 x HomeAssistant) - while the pis are small it's the damn chargers that take up space. LOL

sajunky

Honorary Master
Came here by a mistake. Started to avoid "official [put_your_own_brand] threads" sometime ago.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Came here by a mistake. Started to avoid "official [put_your_own_brand] threads" sometime ago.
Well, my opinion, is that it makes it easier to find info. Hopefully it can become as useful as the mikrotik thread.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
So Folks, question. I bought a few devices, a Ubiquiti 8 port switch, USG, and 2 x AC-Lites. Decided against a cloudkey as I see gen 2 has been announced but not in the country as yet.

I thought Ubiquity offered a free cloud controller and I wanted to set mines up with this. Looks like I may have to run it on the Google cloud as @HeftyCrab mentioned until I can afford to buy a key.

The first thing I want to setup is the Firewall and Switch. My question is do I really need to use the router/modem provided by the ISP to connect to the wan port of the USG . While I love my Mikrotik - it's managed by the ISP (VOX) so a bit of PITA. As I have fibre, I want the USG to establish the Internet connection from the wan interface. the ISP gave me the PPPOE login details and said I could use my own firewall. I am asking without having unpacked or connected the USG as yet, but if someone knows it would be great. Trying to think about everything before I destroy my existing network at home.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Generally when you are replacing a gateway with another it needs to be connected to the WAN port and have the PPPoE connection configured on it. I had a ton of Unifi's at my old office and they were amazing. I never got round to getting a UAG because I had a linux server handling all of those.
I installed the controller on a linux server too, it made it easier to just run in the background on something that was always on although it really isnt required.
I also had 2 of the 48port switches but they arrived the day before I left the company so I didnt get much chance to play with them.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Generally when you are replacing a gateway with another it needs to be connected to the WAN port and have the PPPoE connection configured on it. I had a ton of Unifi's at my old office and they were amazing. I never got round to getting a UAG because I had a linux server handling all of those.
I installed the controller on a linux server too, it made it easier to just run in the background on something that was always on although it really isnt required.
I also had 2 of the 48port switches but they arrived the day before I left the company so I didnt get much chance to play with them.
Thanks. Will be playing with it tonight if I can get home in time. Will post feedback here.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
So I had a productive night yesterday. Threw out my mikrotik router/wifi/firewall and replaced with with a Unibiqti USG and 1 AP (as a test). Installed the controller on my Windows PC , and after 10 minutes of troubleshooting, realised that the Firewall on my PC was blocking communication to the USG and AP to allow me to adopt. But in that period, I setup the Wi-Fi credentials (Home, iOT, Guest) and other bits and bobs. It was really easy.

Disclaimer: I have a background in networks/security so perhaps that skews my perception

PPPoE setup to connect to my ISP was dead simple. I can't believe it ! It just worked
Configuring Port forwards for stuff was easy too.
Updating Firmware is a cinch.

The stats are amazing!

So far very happy with what I have achieved. Tonight, I install the second AP and the switch to activate the WiFi VLANs, etc. I expect most of it work and then I start the process to move iOT devices, etc into the LANS - this weekends job!

MiffMeister

I also went over to an Ubiquiti setup from Mikrotik. Loving the stats and other information you can see from the controller

PhireSide

Executive Member
I am one of those running the controller off a Raspberry Pi (2) which also handles my dDNS, Pihole ad-blocking and a little Mumble server with plenty of room to spare.

Sadly, I cannot make my router hand out the PiHole address as the DNS address due to limitations on the router side (Huawei B315) and if I create another DHCP server on the PiHole and turn the one on the router off, it still firewalls DHCP traffic not originating from the B315 itself.

As it stands I have a lonely AC Lite AP running my WiFi at home but I may add another one as the coverage in the main bedroom is spotty at best

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
I am one of those running the controller off a Raspberry Pi (2) which also handles my dDNS, Pihole ad-blocking and a little Mumble server with plenty of room to spare.

Sadly, I cannot make my router hand out the PiHole address as the DNS address due to limitations on the router side (Huawei B315) and if I create another DHCP server on the PiHole and turn the one on the router off, it still firewalls DHCP traffic not originating from the B315 itself.

As it stands I have a lonely AC Lite AP running my WiFi at home but I may add another one as the coverage in the main bedroom is spotty at best
Check this out. Maybe could help you ?

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/b315-lte-router-can-i-just-use-it-as-an-access-point.928890/

Edit: scratch that - will not work