The Official Xiaomi Thread

Park@82

Honorary Master
I upgraded to a Mi Max 3, Nov 2018, including local Import fess, etc. R4000, at the time, it was listed in RSA for just over R12000, now listing for under R9000. Very happy with it. I ordered via Gearbest, took 7 days to arrive into RSA and waited about 4 weeks for it to clear at customs :mad: but the wait was worth it. :D
Can also import via these guys by the looks of it https://miphones.co.za/products/mimax3

pinkscorpio68

Can also import via these guys by the looks of it https://miphones.co.za/products/mimax3
I ordered my first phone from them, a Mi Max. For a local company, I waited nearly 2 months, then they lost the order, then the courier company couldn't locate the package, and numerous phone calls, it was one excuse after the other, it was a nightmare. At the time of listing when I ordered for Gearbest, MiPhones listed the phone for over R10k. I vowed never to purchase from them again. Gearbest FTW!

deesef

I upgraded to a Mi Max 3, Nov 2018, including local Import fess, etc. R4000, at the time, it was listed in RSA for just over R12000, now listing for under R9000. Very happy with it. I ordered via Gearbest, took 7 days to arrive into RSA and waited about 4 weeks for it to clear at customs :mad: but the wait was worth it. :D
Just a heads-up, if you need a duplicate

miphones is listing the Mi Max 3, 64 gig for R4600. That's the best local price that I have seen for this phone.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha debuts with wrap-around display, 108MP camera

Xiaomi has always been saving its most exciting technologies for the Mix lineup and the just-released Mi Mix Alpha did not disappoint - it has a wrap-around display, 108 MP camera and the latest chipset by Qualcomm.

However, there is a massive caveat that we just have to mention - it will cost CNY19,999 - that is over $2,800/€2,500. Yes, the Mi Mix Alpha is more expensive than the Samsung Galaxy Fold and the yet-unreleased Huawei Mate X.

The gorgeous looking phone will have Snapdragon 855 Plus chipset, 12 GB RAM and 512 GB storage. The battery is 4,050 nano silicone cathode power cell with 40W wired fast-charging. However, this is the less intriguing part - the more interesting is the actual display that goes all around the phone.

Xiaomi says this design allows it to achieve a screen to body ratio of 180%. It's higher than even the Mate X foldable phone, although you can't unwrap the Alpha and get one giant continuous panel.

The panel has 2.15 mm thick bezels on top and bottom and a camera strip on the back, with the lenses protected by a sapphire glass. The edges are pressure-sensitive and will provide notifications. There is no speaker or any other holes - the proximity sensor is ultrasonic, audio is available thanks to “Display Acoustic Technology” and there is advanced palm rejection technology.

Bighit

Expert Member
Was wondering what the point of showing a screen at the back of the phone was, then found the answer:

"
The sides of the phone will show reminders and notifications. The back will be dormant when you're using the phone as usual (i.e. using the front screen), but will turn on when you flip the phone around. There you'll have a display which has shortcuts to your most used apps.
And your selfie game is about to be stronger than ever. When you turn the Mix Alpha around, the rear camera becomes a front camera. You'll use that, all 108 megapixels of it, to shoot your selfies.

"

CUDlybunny

Expert Member
Maybe using a lot of power to indicate you are charging doesn't make a lot of sense but it does look awesome.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Congratulations looks awesome.
What's the details? How much it cost all in?
I'm still having trouble deciding between the note 8 pro and MI 9.
Ordered last Thursday 10pm. Paid just short of $370 including Expedited DHL. Shipped while I slept.

Was phoned Sunday 9am for ID and email by DHL (Sunday!) and received a customs invoice shortly thereafter. Paid online with CCard 5min later. Tracking confirmed released by customs by lunch and it left JHB on Monday morning.

I would've had it yesterday were it not for braai day. I'm impatient so paid DHL EL a visit at 8:15am this morning. The end.

Total in my hands R6100 (includes currency conversion on my Virgin Money CC)

FlashSA

Executive Member
12hr Mi 9T Pro impressions

Amazing play store installation speed and setup. No lag or stutters when switching or opening apps. This is my first flagship CPU since a Samsung S5 so the jump up from a midrange CPU can really be felt.

AMOLED screen really pops and no notch is pure win - I refuse to accept a notch or punchhole and the popup camera solves this. Kids were mindblown when I showed them the popup camera. In display fingerprint reader works well but I keep fingering the back camera's to unlock: old habits die hard. Would still prefer a rear FP reader.

Auto brightness is set to brighter than all my previous Xiaomi's which may reduce battery life but certainly makes the screen look great.

Camera's so far so good but need to play more. 2x optical zoom nice to have once again.

Included hard cover fits nicely but I eagerly await 2x clear polycarb covers from BG so I can enjoy the back of the phone.

Getting used to the smaller form factor coming from Mi Max 3.

Only negative is the stock Android dialler which killed off call recording. I might get over this though.

deesef

I need a bit of help, please. Just received a Mi Band 4. Everything is working great, except that the vibration when receiving notifications is a bit soft.

The Mi Fit app does have a menu option for vibration settings. The options are Normal, Default and Custom. The options "normal" and "custom"under the vibration menu are greyed out on my Mi Fit app. Only the "default"option is available. Does anyone have any advice to activate the other vibration options?

FlashSA

Executive Member
I need a bit of help, please. Just received a Mi Band 4. Everything is working great, except that the vibration when receiving notifications is a bit soft.

The Mi Fit app does have a menu option for vibration settings. The options are Normal, Default and Custom. The options "normal" and "custom"under the vibration menu are greyed out on my Mi Fit app. Only the "default"option is available. Does anyone have any advice to activate the other vibration options?
Never had a complaint about my mi Band 3 or 4's vibration. Make sure you are wearing it tight on your wrist like a strap, not a bracelet.

reachme1983

Hi, I have brand new sealed Xiaomi Mi A3 64gb and 128gb. Please message me if anyone interested. Thanks, Sai 0793120929