The RAIN has dried up

Assasin_Zer0

My struggles with Rain .

I had a Telkom R599 uncapped LTE package 350GB FUP and had a fairly stable 80Mbps Connection.
I also had a Rain 4G sim installed in a TP-Link TL-M7450 which was doing great.

I started my Rain 5G Journey in October 2019 ,This was just before it was commercially launched when they
were contacting user to trail 5G , I still had to pay R2000 Odd for the Router .

Everything went great this included great speeds both up and down , low latency , no jitter it was pretty much flawless.
With the exception of Load shedding , Most of my equipment in my home office is connected to UPS's .
This is where i learnt that Rain didn't cater for load shedding on 5G , what we did find out was that during load shedding
after a reboot , you could fail-over to 4G and the connecting was still fairly usable.

During the second week of December i had a hardware failure on the then N5368 (with Q20) note it's not the X Version.
After contacting Rain and a couple of weeks of struggling they finally sent out an engineer to investigate.
This was the first week of January , The unit was replaced with a N5368X (Units that are being supplied now) and they also took back the Q20.

During the second week of December after the new unit was again mounted outdoors same spot. My overall experience started rapidly degrading ,
Speeds were dropping , pings were high , jitter was bad this kept going until i finally opened a case on 18 January 2020.

After a few weeks of back and forth between myself and the Rain customer support engineers , I don't know how many router reboots and factory resets.
They sent out an engineer to investigate, We then took down the router and spent about 2 - 3 hours walking my yard and doing speedtests.
We eventually found a good spot on the other side of my house. The engineer left and i then remounted the outdoor brackets pole and ODU and redone
my network cabling.

The next few days was smooth Sailing.
Then during one of our MS Teams sessions with Colleagues i started getting constant call drops , video was bad , audio was really bad.
i tried rebooting the router and that seemed to have made no difference , I did a factory reset ,and still no improvement.

I phoned Rain again , and had the ticket reopened.
Sometime a few few day's went past sometimes a few weeks where i wouldn't hear anything ,
I would then try to call or ask for an update via chat, The answer or update if you could call it that was that , "Your issue has been escalated to our networks department"
I would try call or chat every 2nd or 3rd day to get an update. After you mange to get through to someone the update would be "Your issue has been escalated to our networks department"
Eventually a few day's later i got a call from a customer engineer , Stating that they have remotely changed something on my router and that everything should be fine.

I spent the next 2 or 3 day's testing , and found that there is not much that has changed.
i had phoned back in again and reported my findings ,and they said they would "Escalated to the networks team"

Fast forward a few weeks , and still have the same issues So i decided to start putting some monitoring in place ,
You can see from the the blow more or less what my experience has been like . Now bare in mind this doesn't show stuff like packet loss , ping and jitter.
That experience has been quite horrible , Dropped calls , delayed audio in calls , voice breaks , sluggish laggy video

So Rain phones me yesterday 16 April after @rain_mobile asked me to send my account details .

"We have some news from the network department "
"Because you get around 20 - 30 Mbps we can downgrade your account to the Rain standard package"
.................... Your Joking right ? Now this is after i have explained to them , i took the 5G Package for a reason (Back then there was no standard or premium, only premium R1000\Month )
Now i do need to work from home , When i do it usually involves Teams sessions , Webex , Skype , RDP , VPN , Mail and the list goes on.
So i explain this again, To which i get the following reply "Our networks teams have determined that the issues to all 3 towers is due to elevation difference between myself and the towers" and the more users that connect to the tower i'm latched onto the narrower the 5G beam\Radius gets

So the only thing we can do is downgrade you for a more stable and better connection.

As a side-note , i have been able to connect to all the 3 towers in the past.
At the moment and for the last month or so , i have been latching onto a tower that is over 2.4Km's away ...
There is two other towers about 300m and 600m away.
Now i have more or less the same issue with the 4G router, which also used to work fine.
They also at some stage said that i wouldn't be able to get 5G Speeds.
I know of another RAIN user on the forum that has the same performance issue, that doesn't live too far away,.

Now my issue is , Telkom no longer has the R599 LTE package i used to have .
So i cant go back to that .
There is no Fiber available ,
ADSL up to 2Mbps
Wifi : Only Level-7 but not worth the price .
1587100554236.png

Anyways enough Talk ,Time for pictures. Please share your thoughts :)

I am Latched onto tower "1"

1587100236743.png
1587101191858.png

1585202204146.png

The Peaks are usually between 02:00 - 07:00 (Best performance , Stability , Ping , Jitter) I have other tools to monitor that

1587100158659.png

1587100383666.png

1587101099577.png

Attachments

IceQB

Expert Member
At least they contacted you
Have had no reply to complaint submitted 11 April

Assasin_Zer0

At least they contacted you
Have had no reply to complaint submitted 11 April
True , But i have been paying R1000.00 since October.
But yes , I know they have even stopped the online chat now , So the only thing you can do now is fill out a contact form and hope & pray for the best ,.

Good Luck .

IceQB

Expert Member
That's no customer service at all then.
Pm you here for details & never hear from them again.
I've convinced so many people already to not take rain, they just building a bad rep for themselves

MEG101

I want to share my experience as well. I have been a happy Rain customer since October 2019. I have 2 Sim Cards (one is Unlimited Off Peak and other is 24/7 Uncapped) I have used them in a ZTE 283V Router and had no problems - always achieving speeds 50+ and sometimes 80+ in both the Router and Samsung S9. Starting about two month ago, speeds were drastically slowing down to a point that it is basically unusable. I traveled for work to Atok which is a small town in Limpopo and had a solid connection of 10 down and 10 up on the 4G Uncapped 24/7 sim. When I returned to Polokwane and connected at home, speeds were very bad to about 0.45 down and 0.25 up on both sim cards. I have logged various tickets with Rain and had responses that they have received my website queries, and that is as far as I heard from them. Yesterday 16 April 2020 a support agent contacted me and asked me what device I am using and when did the problem start and exact location and speed test at location. I send the information through and got a response that the problem is "not you, its us. The lockdown has caused congestion on certain towers which is impossible to plan for" as I am connected to one of those towers. They cannot solve this quickly and no remedy for the situation now, and if I believe the service is not workable, Rain will refund me and cancel the service. Simple as that solution - if I am not happy - just cancel. I emailed them back and asked if the Network Administrators cannot reset and reboot the towers - as we all know a reboot can restore the service and works again. I got the response that the "Network department are on it as this was unplanned for and hoping speeds will improve" I am attaching screenshots so that you can see yourself. I am sorry but if that is the way we are treated - you had a great service for a while - towers get congested because they still continue to sell 4G sims and 5G devices - and if I don't like the service - cancel and we will refund. No matter if we loose you as a customer. Really pathetic!! They should have known during lockdown too many people are using the service and did not plan tower upgrades. I believe there are may Rain customers feeling the same way - paying for a service the company cannot offer or sustain.

Attachments

Clintie

Thats the one issue I take from this unwarranted pride from Rain when they say they are swamped by new "Demand".

REALLY!? Are they doing any capacity planning at all considering they cant even satisfy their current customer base?

It really is Bizarre that we accept this kind of service from ISP's in the year 2020.

dalkill

Eish... Im on R599 lte telkom contract adsl forced lte bullying.. at 1.5mbps throttling today.. i was looking to jump ship... But wow looking at Rain problems... I'll have to stick with my 1.5mbps. better the devil u know...
that the problem... Any new entrant to market is so swamped by demand by people hungry for value for money... The soon oversell their products and you end up with.... "goedkoop is duur koop"

stacatt0

Exact same experience with respect to Support interaction. A pity - Rain was doing so well. All that goodwill is being frittered away.

Assasin_Zer0

@Assasin_Zer0

You are in Rooihuiskraal and there is no fibre available?
The Reeds , and nope . No Fiber ,
Our lines still terminate at Cnr of Old Johannesburg and Uitsig.
They dont want to move us to the DP thats like 200m away.
So it's 9km's copper from where i am to the exchange. The best we can get here at the moment is 2Mbps ADSL.
if you want to go fixed line that is .

cavedog

Honorary Master
The Reeds , and nope . No Fiber ,
Our lines still terminate at Cnr of Old Johannesburg and Uitsig.
They dont want to move us to the DP thats like 200m away.
So it's 9km's copper from where i am to the exchange. The best we can get here at the moment is 2Mbps ADSL.
if you want to go fixed line that is .
Okay you have the 5G router mounted outside?

IceQB

Expert Member
I want to share my experience as well. I have been a happy Rain customer since October 2019. I have 2 Sim Cards (one is Unlimited Off Peak and other is 24/7 Uncapped) I have used them in a ZTE 283V Router and had no problems - always achieving speeds 50+ and sometimes 80+ in both the Router and Samsung S9. Starting about two month ago, speeds were drastically slowing down to a point that it is basically unusable. I traveled for work to Atok which is a small town in Limpopo and had a solid connection of 10 down and 10 up on the 4G Uncapped 24/7 sim. When I returned to Polokwane and connected at home, speeds were very bad to about 0.45 down and 0.25 up on both sim cards. I have logged various tickets with Rain and had responses that they have received my website queries, and that is as far as I heard from them. Yesterday 16 April 2020 a support agent contacted me and asked me what device I am using and when did the problem start and exact location and speed test at location. I send the information through and got a response that the problem is "not you, its us. The lockdown has caused congestion on certain towers which is impossible to plan for" as I am connected to one of those towers. They cannot solve this quickly and no remedy for the situation now, and if I believe the service is not workable, Rain will refund me and cancel the service. Simple as that solution - if I am not happy - just cancel. I emailed them back and asked if the Network Administrators cannot reset and reboot the towers - as we all know a reboot can restore the service and works again. I got the response that the "Network department are on it as this was unplanned for and hoping speeds will improve" I am attaching screenshots so that you can see yourself. I am sorry but if that is the way we are treated - you had a great service for a while - towers get congested because they still continue to sell 4G sims and 5G devices - and if I don't like the service - cancel and we will refund. No matter if we loose you as a customer. Really pathetic!! They should have known during lockdown too many people are using the service and did not plan tower upgrades. I believe there are may Rain customers feeling the same way - paying for a service the company cannot offer or sustain.
Similar response from them, just simply told if you don't like it cancel & get a refund.

Assasin_Zer0

There is something i dont understand ,

1. How are they going to offer a guaranteed standard package ?
2. What changed , it used to work ?
3. How is elevation an issue now ? (Unless i picked up my house and moved it )
4. Tried moving the router yesterday (I keep Latching on to the tower 2.4km away and not one of the 2 closer ones)

SlowInternet

Executive Member
It seems like Rain has a generic reply they send out to everybody complaining about connection or speed.

BlueOne

There is something i dont understand ,

1. How are they going to offer a guaranteed standard package ?
2. What changed , it used to work ?
3. How is elevation an issue now ? (Unless i picked up my house and moved it )
4. Tried moving the router yesterday (I keep Latching on to the tower 2.4km away and not one of the 2 closer ones)
Also in the Reeds, and your story pretty much matches mine. It was off last night from 9pm till about 1am. Got signal again around 10am, and was great till 5pm, and then has been off and on again this evening.
Always seems to go really bad in the evenings.