The Toyota Supra Thread

FiestaST

Honorary Master
WATCH: Bringing a legend back to life - Toyota's hot new Supra sports car

Toyota brought a legend back to life with the new GR Supra.

It's the fifth generation of this popular sports car. We take a look at the Supra's past, its technical origins and predecessors.

The two-seater comes with rear-wheel drive.

Wheels24's Janine Van der Post has been a Toyota-fangirl since the first time she watched Initial D, and even owns a Corolla 20V RSI. Has the new Supra in SA met her expectations?

https://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/watch-bringing-a-legend-back-to-life-toyotas-hot-new-supra-sports-car-20190814

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Watch This First Full Tear Down Of The 2020 Toyota Supra Engine

The Toyota Supra is one of those cars where the arcane alphanumeric droid-name of its best-known engine—the 2JZ-GTE—is almost as well-known as the car itself. So when it was announced that the reborn Supra would have an inline-six engine developed by its partner BMW, that was a confusing development for many Supra-stans. How did that BMW B58 engine turn out, and what’s it like inside? This video is the first really comprehensive tear down of the new Supra’s engine, so we can finally see.

The reason this 500-mile Supra is getting its engine torn to bits is because it’s in the shop of Papdakis Racing, a Formula Drift team that wants to make 1000 horsepower from the stock 335 horse engine, and to do that, it all has to come apart.

Thankfully, Steph Papadakis filmed the whole teardown process so we can all take a peek at what’s going on in there. Here, watch:'

https://jalopnik.com/watch-this-first-full-tear-down-of-the-2020-toyota-supr-1837213368

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Toyota Supra vs Porsche 718 Cayman GTS vs Audi TT RS vs Alpine A110 drag race - Carwow

thechamp

Honorary Master
Maybe I am still hung up on the looks of the old one but I am just not bowled over by this one, it just looks too over-designed.

ben M

Maybe I am still hung up on the looks of the old one but I am just not bowled over by this one, it just looks too over-designed.
I don't know if this makes sense, but it just doesn't register as a Supra in my mind.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Toyota Supra Already Tuned To 600 HP (447 KW)

The interest around the new Toyota Supra is massive and everyone is watching what owners and tuners are capable of creating.

The Supra you see here apparently delivered 527 horsepower (393 kW) and 626 Nm and at the rear wheels and if we use the good old 15 percent drivetrain loss, we end up with the crank muscle figure mentioned above.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Toyota Supra vs Supra Mk4 vs 2000 GT vs GT86 vs AE86 vs Celica - the best Toyota sports cars - Carwow

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The New Supra Looks Best In White, Just Like the 2000GT

The new Supra isn’t coming soon. It’s here, and there’s already a color that looks best. Some of us around here can’t get enough of the Nitro Yellow the car comes in, and it’s hard to blame them. A shouty car ought to be a shouty color, right? You didn’t buy a Supra to have it ignored along the curb, did you?

Just one thing though. There’s a better color that BMWToyota will slap on your new sports car: Absolute Zero White.

Not every car can pull off a white paint job. Slabbier sedans and crossovers tend to look like washing machines in base-spec white, and white vans are a phenomenon. The Supra, though, makes the most of its white paint, with its bulges, folds, and creases throwing shadows around.

Now, this would be a much more difficult argument to make if the car didn’t just look good in white, but it still wouldn’t be hard. Why? Because even though this new car is a Supra, it’s actually got quite a bit in common with the 2000GT, Toyota’s first real halo car.

Like the 2000GT, the Supra has a straight-6 powering the rear wheels, was born of a joint project with another firm (Yamaha, in the 2000GT’s case), and has a baby brother (the 86 to the 2000GT’s 800GT). The 2000GT also only had two seats, a feature it shares with the new Supra but not Supras past.

Supra 1.jpgSupra 2.jpgSupra 3.jpg2000GT 1.jpg2000GT 2.jpg2000GT 3.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
People Are Already Renting Out Their Toyota Supras

If I know anything about hype, it’s that there will always be a slew of people following right behind it, trying to profit. The 2020 Toyota Supra is perhaps the most hyped-up car of this year and it’s already landed on Turo, ready for folks to rent.

The first is this red Supra with Premium trim in Newark, New Jersey, being rented out by a host named Octavio. At the time of this writing, the fee is $132 a day, which isn’t terrible. The included distance is apparently 200 miles a day, 1,000 miles a week or 1,500 miles a month. A thousand miles a week is a lot of miles! You could cover some serious ground without violating that restriction.

Octavio asks renters to have fun, but to definitely also respect the road and the law. He’s forbidden customers to race or launch the car, though I suspect a few people might try and break that rule.

The second is this white Premium Launch edition that’s being rented out by Tyler in Westminster, Colorado. Tyler is asking a little more in fees; he’s charging $549 per day. The included distance is 150 miles a day, 1,000 miles a week and 1,500 miles a month.