The ULTIMATE Watercooler Thread

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Standing around the water cooler and speaking about ...
PS: I wonder why MyBB redacts such and awesome word to ****?

S.Claus

Expert Member
@r00igev@@r You remember that custom router firmware I wanted to compile? Turns out Ubuntu was reverting back to dash instead of bash causing it to fail.
06655070b3cc8faaff4824eee848adc0.gif

Not sure if this is the right thread but thanks for being willing to assist.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
@r00igev@@r You remember that custom router firmware I wanted to compile? Turns out Ubuntu was reverting back to dash instead of bash causing it to fail.
06655070b3cc8faaff4824eee848adc0.gif

Not sure if this is the right thread but thanks for being willing to assist.
Was it a thing with environment variables?

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Any ideas on how to deice the watercooler. We didn't buy that option. ULTIMATE indeed!!!!

Last edited:

S.Claus

Expert Member
Was it a thing with environment variables?
The build environment/build script is extremely finicky with very precise setup or it fails as soon as you start building but to be fair the developers never intended for a scrub like me to build their own firmware.

Jägerbomb :cool:

Last edited:

Gambit

Expert Member
Can we talk about IPv6 to the home?
Our business fibre provider gave us a /48 IPv6 prefix. I enabled it for a few days on our office router but then turned it off because the routes were atrocious in comparison to the IPv4 routes. Had way better latency and download/upload speeds on IPv4. I'm guessing that not all their peering links are dual-stack and they probably spend a lot of time tweaking IPv4 routes. They probably don't really care about IPv6 at all as so few people in SA use it.

When we first set it up, there were some issues with their DHCPv6 server assigning the proper prefix from their radius server, when I was troubleshooting with their most senior network engineer he admitted that we were the first client that actually asked for IPv6. I found this interesting as they are a very large and well-known ISP. Even though IPv4 is almost completely allocated, I'm guessing it is going to be another 10-20 years before it starts gaining traction in SA as no one seems to be championing it. I would love to stop using NAT, it feels like a complete hack. IPv6 seems so much more elegant.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Our business fibre provider gave us a /48 IPv6 prefix. I enabled it for a few days on our office router but then turned it off because the routes were atrocious in comparison to the IPv4 routes. Had way better latency and download/upload speeds on IPv4. I'm guessing that not all their peering links are dual-stack and they probably spend a lot of time tweaking IPv4 routes. They probably don't really care about IPv6 at all as so few people in SA use it.

When we first set it up, there were some issues with their DHCPv6 server assigning the proper prefix from their radius server, when I was troubleshooting with their most senior network engineer he admitted that we were the first client that actually asked for IPv6. I found this interesting as they are a very large and well-known ISP. Even though IPv4 is almost completely allocated, I'm guessing it is going to be another 10-20 years before it starts gaining traction in SA as no one seems to be championing it. I would love to stop using NAT, it feels like a complete hack. IPv6 seems so much more elegant.
The only good IPV6 routes are facebook and google.