• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

The ZAR Exchange Rate Thread

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Dollar vs Euro hasn't changed much in the last couple days. Looks like the Rand strengthening today is emerging market or SA specific.

Visser

Dollar vs Euro hasn't changed much in the last couple days. Looks like the Rand strengthening today is emerging market or SA specific.
The rate hike in the US did not have the desired effect. There were great indications ahead of the announcement that the Dollar would not strengthen and, in fact, be a sell for a short period of time.

I think the main reason for this is the uncertainty about the figures in the US. Yes, the economy is strengthening, yes, unemployment is down. But, there is a bigger problem a few people have noticed. Wages are not increasing. In fact, it did increase recently, for the first time, but not by much. In fact, the cost of living in the US actually killed the rate at which wages have increased. This is starting to leave a number of questions (some questions include whether there is a shortage of skills or simply if unemployment rate figures are being manipulated). In addition to this, if this is indeed the case, the rate hike may have a very negative effect on consumers and their debts.

Only time will tell....

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
The rate hike in the US did not have the desired effect. There were great indications ahead of the announcement that the Dollar would not strengthen and, in fact, be a sell for a short period of time.

I think the main reason for this is the uncertainty about the figures in the US. Yes, the economy is strengthening, yes, unemployment is down. But, there is a bigger problem a few people have noticed. Wages are not increasing. In fact, it did increase recently, for the first time, but not by much. In fact, the cost of living in the US actually killed the rate at which wages have increased. This is starting to leave a number of questions (some questions include whether there is a shortage of skills or simply if unemployment rate figures are being manipulated). In addition to this, if this is indeed the case, the rate hike may have a very negative effect on consumers and their debts.

Only time will tell....

Not much change in the last few days. USD vs Euro stayed roughly within a 0.5% range. So no selling or buying yet.

chicken247

spannungsbogen, a pregnancy that exists within an arc of tension that touches the profound layers of human existence

Does everyone get the same feed? or is this also segregated into nodes of priority?

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Rand recovered a fair bit after the new finance minister was announced. Recovered about half of last weeks loss in a few hours already. Hopefully people don't read his twitter posts...

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Does anyone believe inflation has dropped in the slightest? Anyone magically find it easier to buy groceries and pay bills these days?

StatsSA busy jumping the shark imo, usually they tend to keep their lies somewhat believable ... seems no more
It's worth mentioning that full cream pasteurised milk has gone down by about R10 compared to about a month ago at my local Checkers. :)

Swa

Honorary Master
Temporary recovery. The Rand's problems started before the debacle with Nene and won't be fixed by appointing a new minister. Tbh I think it's mostly global turmoil contributing to the recent weakening.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I paid R13.75 for a 2l Coke in January 2018 at my local Spar. That same 2l Coke is R19.98 today at the same Spar. So, if inflation came down, I am not sure what I am missing.
Sugar tax. I drink Coke Zero and pay R16.99 for a 2.25lt bottle at both Checkers and Spar.

krycor

Honorary Master

Only time will tell....
The problem is they tightening monetary system and this is impacting fang stock too.. I think dow down for 5 straight days now but still very early days..

I dunno.. I still think we will only see major panic next year but it’s interesting that the market is already acting up and they not close to where they want to take interest rates to.

The major mess trump is creating will take impact soon as job losses, price increases on goods imported / trade tax, goods made locally at higher costs etc all start weighing them down and then as if that’s not bad enough.. debt repayment, recession, equity loss ..