Things to do when your cap runs out

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Garyvdh, thats an impressive list man,thanx from teh bottom of my heart and am sure the whole of myADSL feels the same :)

lets keep this fresh shall we

PS
Which one of those links could we download trailers etc from, i noticed alot of Quicktime HD stuff is cached using the Akamai servers however one needs to find the source before using local bw. So is there a program that can find files on the net only with the term akamai in it :) or is that not legal?
You are welcome :) ... but really a lot of the work was done by others, I just updated the list.

Unfortunately, a lot of the video sites, I find, do not have all the video working. I guess they must get the video from different sources.

The best places I think ... to find the movie trailers would be on Ster Kinekor and Nu Metro, M-Web and Iafrica entertainment page, and the News Portals entertainment pages.

Other than that, feel free to ask here... I am sure guys will be quite willing to DL the trailers for us on their International bandwidth and then upload them locally for us. I know I would! ;)

It is perfectly legal also to search for stuff using the term "akamai". That is a good idea!

feo

Honorary Master
The Apple website will stream the HD clips using local bandwidth but there's no direct download link, just a button that opens up Quicktime and starts the streaming. If you have Quicktime Pro, you can save the clip once streamed.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
uh...you could also just buy more...?
uh, why buy more when you could save money?

Actually, a lot of us have multiple accounts. When our cap runs out, we use that to download tons of stuff from local servers, and we use our alternate account or our 3G to surf internationally.

You would be amazed at how much we can get locally... :rolleyes:

seymour7

I might be getting ADSL soon :D and according to Telkom, their 3 GB international cap will also come with a 30 GB local cap. So, I was looking around for some locally hosted sites (just to see if I actually could use up my local cap) and used this cool webpage:

http://www.81solutions.com/server-location.html

to find a website's physical location. Hope it's useful. :)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I just noticed that internal DivX program updates also work on Local only accounts as well. Don't know if that has been mentioned yet. Would be nice to know which program updates work on local only.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I just noticed that internal DivX program updates also work on Local only accounts as well. Don't know if that has been mentioned yet. Would be nice to know which program updates work on local only.
What program is that exactly?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
What program is that exactly?
When I ran the VideoLAN converter, it used the DivX codec which triggered an update check. It then downloaded and installed an update to my DivX software to 6.8.3. Not sure which parts of the software were updated.

nauseous_monkey

Expert Member
Hint: Go onto Gmail Talk when Cap Runs Out

Download the Mxit Messenger for your PC and add all your Gmail contacts... with this you connect to local servers but you are able to access international contacts. Pretty cool trick I think.

nSidious

AVG Antivirus 8 will check if an update is available internationally and then download it locally. Will work if you using routesentry (Local+int).

nSidious

Check Page 2. Nice, comprehensive list by Senast. It should be made a sticky or moved to the first page i think.
Check Here as well. Just scroll through. U will see the list.

Last edited: