Torrents and me

AntiGanda

Banned
I thought in South Africa when downloading Torrents is now illegal?
Not yet. Torrents are used for legitimate purposes.

You may get some company tracking your IP (no encryption on FDM) and sending you a warning, but these are not taken seriously unless you are one of the kingpins uploading Mandela movies :D

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption

Suppose it depends on the content. Can download lots of software etc. through torrents "legally".

Most of us here only really just download Linux ISO images anyway so shouldn't really be much of a concern. . .

SharnThoR

Okay...first things first.

I downloaded and installed FDM after I uninstalled uTorrent.

Nothing...absolutely nothing. It doesn't seem to even connect.

File that I'm trying:
File size: 6.6GB
Sections: 9/826
Speed: 0b/s
37 peers connections
In around an hour, downloaded 88.8kb
Status bar at the bottom shows 0kb/s - Does this mean FDM can't connect?

SharnThoR

Okay, I was looking for TPB, but it seems to have closed.

That lead me to a program called chilitorrent. That seems to be downloading at around 2kb/s atm...

WTF???

Thor

Honorary Master
No no no son you are doing it wrong.

First thing first is to make sure it is not your account....

Go grab a AF account it's free and quick.

Then after you established that is not your account then you go and fiddle with apps.

Utorrent is fine you just need to go through all thr settings I will guide you.

stephannel77

P2P traffic throttled ? Perhaps....

Grab a free 1GB account fron AF and test again.

Yup, read the Telkom uncapped tread where telkom guy said gp is throttled and allocated bandwidth to cape for torrents. I say they have major bandwidth shortage.

stephannel77

Okay...first things first.

I downloaded and installed FDM after I uninstalled uTorrent.

Nothing...absolutely nothing. It doesn't seem to even connect.

File that I'm trying:
File size: 6.6GB
Sections: 9/826
Speed: 0b/s
37 peers connections
In around an hour, downloaded 88.8kb
Status bar at the bottom shows 0kb/s - Does this mean FDM can't connect?

Your problem is with Telkom bud. Have the same problem. Btw when their services back to normal try qBittorrent. Works well

MickZA

Executive Member
Just been updating some linux systems and WebAfrica is flying atm, sign up for their 1GB free account and you get an extra 1GB into the bargain - use this account for your testing.

SharnThoR

WTF??? Afrihost wants a copy of my ID?

With that said, I can now only check it out tomorrow :(

I've been using PeerBlocker with my usenet downloads... It seems the downloads are slightly better(3kb/s) when I enable PeerBlocker also.

Last edited:

Thor

Honorary Master

They do that, security and shiat, they all do it. Don't worry about it AF is safe dude and it is free.

SharnThoR

They do that, security and shiat, they all do it. Don't worry about it AF is safe dude and it is free.

Okay, I'll send my ID in the morning quick... I'll try and take a picture now and send it.

Seriously, I'm so sick and tired of this....

ld13

Honorary Master

Your post does not make sense. I guess that you thought downloading torrents are now illegal in SA? This has never been the case. Unless anything changed recently it is simply unlawful to share copyrighted items that you download. By the nature of how torrents work you tend to upload data to the swarm while you download stuff. This has the practical implication that torrenting local content can land you in some trouble should a stakeholder of said local content decide to press charges (since you uploaded/distributed their copyrighted content without their consent). An international firm could also come after you, but they would probably have to get a local firm to do so on their behalf - don't see that happening soon.

You may get some company tracking your IP (no encryption on FDM) and sending you a warning, but these are not taken seriously unless you are one of the kingpins uploading Mandela movies :D

I find it odd that you feel FDM is somehow subpar due to firstly the spam adware? First time in my life where I heard the term adware and FDM in one line. If it was somewhere in the installer, I missed it and clearly had the option to not install any unwanted additions. Such an option alone would sidestep the "problem" of spam adware in one fell swoop. Are we talking about the same FDM here?

Secondly you diss FDM because it lacks encryption. Valid point, although I think you do not understand the use of the encryption offered in eg. utorrent. The main protection/advantage that encryption offers within utorrent is the ability to sidestep to some degree the shaping being done by your ISP by encrypting the traffic you are pushing over their pipes. With the type of deep packet inspection being done by basic firewalls of late I doubt this is as effective as it was way back when. So in short it does 0% to hide your public IP from the swarm or the ability of anyone tracking your IP. Unless I misunderstand the concept of encryption completely. If that is the case, please feel free to correct me.

If you are using utorrent with the encryption simply to avoid being "tracked" and getting a letter of demand, without any other countermeasures... please speak up so that we can rather help you to tweak your ways that will give you a "safer" torrenting experience.

Also, if you do not like FDM, say so. No one can argue with a statement like that :p Personally I use utorrent and not FDM. Purely part of my ways/stubborn to change.

I've been using PeerBlocker with my usenet downloads... It seems the downloads are slightly better(3kb/s) when I enable PeerBlocker also.

You use peerblock with your usenet downloads? That is not what peerblock is for. It does 0% for usenet. Unless you include the usenet server IP in the blocklist... but that would not be useful at all.

Last edited:

SharnThoR

Nuff said...

FDM didnt work for me at all though...

Finally, Afrihost replied and I've got my login details... I'll check back here asap

Anthro

Expert Member

If you have a smartphone, take a picture of it, and email it to them - yes, they will accept that :D

SharnThoR

Okay, I've done some testing...

I eventually received the Afrihost connection details, but I couldn't not connect at all, account was most likely not completely activated at that stage.

I've kept on using Chillitorrent for the past weekend and few days. The downloads goes at random speeds at random times. Mostly, when I'm at home, the downloads doesn't exceed 2kb/s. When I get home off work, 10gb was downloaded... Or when I wake up in the morning, 10gb was downloaded...

Still not massively fast, but I am now just going to use torrents for the odd occasion that I cannot find what I'm looking for on usenet.

P.S Usenet still running over 200kb/s. Top speed I've reached is around 700+kb/s.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

ld13

Honorary Master
P.S Usenet still running over 200kb/s. Top speed I've reached is around 700+kb/s.

The absolute max your line can do is 512kb/s and in actual terms it is a bit less after taking into account overheads etc. Any speeds reported close to or over 500kb/s are simply glitches/cached/etc data that is being picked up by the program.

mikegreen

I've been thinking about this too. FlashGet has been my go to for a while now, and it's BLAZING fast for me. Problem is, it tends to crash. Which highly annoys me. Will probably give FDM a try - have never used it before...