Torrents and me

SharnThoR

Hi Everyone

I've been watching and reading these forums for quite a while now. Never had any real issues that i couldn't find answers for here, so I never had to bother posting anything...until now

I used to use Vuze as my download manager but that went miserably. So I went over to uTorrent. Everything went perfectly for a few days, then all of a sudden, my speeds are down to 0.1kb/s.

At the same time, I must also say, that I download most of my stuff from free international usenet servers and those downloads averages at around 250kb/s and reaches the 500kb/s mark from time to time. So line speed is not the issue here.

I've tried some examples etc from youtube and reading on the uTorrent forums etc, but can't seem to find anything to fix this.

I stay about 2 blocks away from one of the main sub stations in Edenvale, so my line speed is EXTREMELY fast generally and I never have any issues.

I have a 4mb/s uncapped line and Telkom ISP.
Normal TP-Link 300mb/s modem router that connects via ethernet to a TrendNet 1750AC Modem router.
The pc is connected to the TrendNet AC router via Wifi.
The wifi speeds are not the issue as I stream movies and series from the TrendNet AC router to my Laptop connected to the TV regularly.

Perhaps it's just ports? I've even tried downloading the ubunto ISO from their torrent leeches with a VERY high seed rating, but even that hovers at around 0.1kb/s.

Please can anyone help me on this? I need torrents to download files that's too old for me to find on usenet. Anything that's posted later than 30 days, in general, I struggle with.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
What time of day do you get these bad speeds?

Torrents generally work best when you let them go overnight.

SharnThoR

Hi

Yes I do have 4mb/s uncapped line.

This is all the time. I checked a specific few downloads over the last week. The downloads are pretty much going nowhere over a whole week.

I've also checked past 12 at night, nothing.

SharnThoR

Yeah, same issue. I had Vuze installed there initially and that failed rather miserably.

All other stuff, browsing etc and normal downloads are perfect.

I've also opened all incoming and outgoing connections in my Internet Security(Bitdeffender) and Windows Firewall is disabled.

When I do a port check in uTorrent, it goes through and shows me the little green tick box at the bottom right corner also.

Electric

Honorary Master
You know what I've recenly done with my Torrents?
I started using free download manager as my torrent downloader as well.
Compared to Utorrent, like night and day.

I can get full line speed on a 20Mb VDSL with FDM but Utorrent hobbles along.

SharnThoR

So what would you suggest? Everywhere I've check, everyone kinda recommends uTorrent?

Also, uTorrent was working perfectly for a few days before this happened. Im' assuming that an update happened or something.

Segg

Expert Member
This is a long shot, but check that there aren't any speed restrictions that have been accidentally set on uTorrent.

I prefer Vuze, much more powerful imho

Thor

Honorary Master
P2P traffic throttled ? Perhaps....

Grab a free 1GB account fron AF and test again.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Hi Everyone

I've been watching and reading these forums for quite a while now. Never had any real issues that i couldn't find answers for here, so I never had to bother posting anything...until now

I used to use Vuze as my download manager but that went miserably. So I went over to uTorrent. Everything went perfectly for a few days, then all of a sudden, my speeds are down to 0.1kb/s.

At the same time, I must also say, that I download most of my stuff from free international usenet servers and those downloads averages at around 250kb/s and reaches the 500kb/s mark from time to time. So line speed is not the issue here.

I've tried some examples etc from youtube and reading on the uTorrent forums etc, but can't seem to find anything to fix this.

I stay about 2 blocks away from one of the main sub stations in Edenvale, so my line speed is EXTREMELY fast generally and I never have any issues.

I have a 4mb/s uncapped line and Telkom ISP.
Normal TP-Link 300mb/s modem router that connects via ethernet to a TrendNet 1750AC Modem router.
The pc is connected to the TrendNet AC router via Wifi.
The wifi speeds are not the issue as I stream movies and series from the TrendNet AC router to my Laptop connected to the TV regularly.

Perhaps it's just ports? I've even tried downloading the ubunto ISO from their torrent leeches with a VERY high seed rating, but even that hovers at around 0.1kb/s.

Please can anyone help me on this? I need torrents to download files that's too old for me to find on usenet. Anything that's posted later than 30 days, in general, I struggle with.

I recommend spending the money on an anonymous overseas seedbox.
Split it between 2 or 3 mates

The torrents are super fast and you get quite decent storage
You then FTP or sFTP back to SA
So no PTP. Also uses less bandwidth since you dont seed on your own account

Costs money but worth it esp if you split the cost a bit

SharnThoR

Okay, I'll try all of these tonight quickly.

Thor187 - AF?

Segg - I did try and uncheck everything that hat uTP and uHT as well, nothing worked. Speed restrictions are all set to 0(no restriction). I also checked and swtiched max download to 9999 and max upload to 9999...nothing :(

Thanks for all your help everyone!!! I'll let you know tonight or tomorrow morning the outcome.

I'll try and compile a list of everything that I'm doing...perhaps I'll find that one stupid little button somewhwere that wasn't supposed to be ticked

Batista

Executive Member
You are being throttled as per Telkoms rules.If you want to download at full speed just get a business account. 220 kb/s download rate all day every day...