Toyota (Corolla) owners [USB]

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
So my father upgraded his Corolla from 2010 to 2011, and the new one comes with the USB port.
But each time I insert the USB with 5 MP3's in the root folder, it displays error 1. I tried it with FAT, NTFS and 5 x with FAT32, with 1 MP3 / 1 WMA, still displays "ERROR 1." So, how doe someone go about solving this?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Stick to FAT32. Try with folder & without folder. Rename file to ABC.mp3 (in case 8.3 issues). Lose the WMA...unlikely.

The most likely cause of your troubles though s the MP3 encoding. Try CBR first. Chances are you've got VBRs...which aren't widely supported by h/w.

Wag

Expert Member
Maybe not related. Bought a ml with mp3 player using memory cards. Could not read any of my sd cards till I read on google the card has to be 2 gig max. Anything bigger is a no go. Old firmware on the music system is the culprit

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Stick to FAT32. Try with folder & without folder. Rename file to ABC.mp3 (in case 8.3 issues). Lose the WMA...unlikely.

The most likely cause of your troubles though s the MP3 encoding. Try CBR first. Chances are you've got VBRs...which aren't widely supported by h/w.

OK. Let me try. CBR; VBR?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Maybe not related. Bought a ml with mp3 player using memory cards. Could not read any of my sd cards till I read on google the card has to be 2 gig max. Anything bigger is a no go. Old firmware on the music system is the culprit

Thanks, one is 2GB.

Where can I get the Toyota specifications thing?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I tried 2 files and named them ABC, ABCD. It displayed the latter for 3 seconds, then continued to the "ERROR 1".

Also, got mediainfo; just checked which files were CBR, were VBR, inserted first the CBR ones (2), still error. Tried VBR (2), still error.

Last edited:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Dunno about the usb but my toyota 6 cd frontloader ( 2009 ) can play any format mp3/wma. Doubt the player is the issue, try a diff stick?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Lol; I googled this and I saw this on the 2nd page...

I have tried different USB's. 5 now. And nothing. Starting to think there's a problem with the port, but the car is new.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I'm trying to get it online. But it's just an MP3?
Nah modern devices are all kinds of fussy when it comes to formats. The problem is the formats contain so many settings that hardware can't really cover it all so they usually just support a subsection of it.

i.e. There is no such thing as "an [standardized] MP3". Software players cope much better with all the variations so users usually don't see it. Things like iPods have iTunes that transcodes things transparently so that the data that hits the actual hardware is compatible with the hardware.

Paul_S

Expert Member
Nah modern devices are all kinds of fussy when it comes to formats.

Why don't they just run the software based code on hardware?
Designing and building a hardware decoder is silly when microprocessors and embedded systems are so cheap now days.
In any case if the MP3 compatible CD players found in vehicles can handle VBR, CBR different encoding bit rates, etc. then why can't the USB port do it too?