Troubleshooting crashing PC

PetrusPadda

Greetings, newbie here

About two months back I built my own budget PC. All my parts are new except the GPU. After struggling a bit to get everything to work correctly my PC started crashing after a few minutes of gaming. The crash is the loss of any video output and it appears that whatever was going on in the background also hangs, although I can't exactly be sure about that. Furthermore, the GPU fans start spinning at max RPM as well. The weird part is that it usually only happens when I enter the menu or minimap while in-game. I have run Prime95 on my RAM and CPU without any failures or crashes. I have used Windows tools on my RAM and drives, again without any failures. The GPU I stress tested using Furmark in 1080p preset, also without any failure. The only thing I noticed was that the GPU temperature climbed to about 84°C. I have been trying to figure out what's going on with the PC for weeks now without much success and I'm becoming truly hopeless and desperate.

The specs are:
Mobo: Asus Prime B450-K
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: 2x8gb HyperX Fury 3200MHz DDR4
Boot Drive: Hikvision E2000 256GB m.2 SSD
Secondary drive: Hikvision E100 1TB SSD
GPU: Aorus RX 570 4GB
PSU: Antec VP500PC

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
any game or something specific? i would look for new drivers or lookup driver related specific issues

PetrusPadda

any game or something specific? i would look for new drivers or lookup driver related specific issues
No specific games, it has done this with AC: Unity and Syndicate, Divinity 2, PC Building Simulator, The Witcher 3 and War Thunder. I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers many times before.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Probably need an bigger power supply, like a 750watt. What you got is good for idle.
450watt gpu + 65watt CPU
500 watt psu

ponder

Honorary Master
Is the PSU new or old?

What happens when you run the gpu & cpu stress tests at the same time?

84C sound on the hot side, I would clean the heatsink/fans & apply some decent fresh thermal paste. Test.
Remove the case side cover. Test
Use msi afterburner and set the fan speed % manually and monitor the temps. Test
Have a room fan blowing into the case. Test

Use DDU to ensure drivers are properly removed.

PetrusPadda

Is the PSU new or old?

84C sound on the hot side, I would clean the heatsink/fans & apply some decent fresh thermal paste. Test.
Use msi afterburner and set the fan speed % manually and monitor the temps. Test

PSU is brand new. I will run the tests in a few and see what happens, thanks. As much as I want to open the card up, I don't think that is possible as it will void the warranty on it.

PetrusPadda

Is the PSU new or old?

Okay so I ran the tests as instructed. They ran absolutely fine at first an then when I switched to the GPU stress test from the CPU strest it did the crash.

ponder

Honorary Master
Okay so I ran the tests as instructed. They ran absolutely fine at first an then when I switched to the GPU stress test from the CPU strest it did the crash.

Do you have another psu unit you can test with or use a friends?

Where did you buy all the parts from.

PetrusPadda

Do you have another psu unit you can test with or use a friends?

Where did you buy all the parts from.
I don't have one at the moment, that will have to wait unfortunately. I bought all parts, except GPU from Evetech.

PetrusPadda

Okay so this is the end of this road. I tested the GPU on two different working rigs and it did the same, seems it's broken pretty bad.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it!

ponder

Honorary Master
Okay so this is the end of this road. I tested the GPU on two different working rigs and it did the same, seems it's broken pretty bad.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it!

It's under warranty so not a train smash.