Upgrading laptop motherboard.

marco

Expert Member
I want to replace my old laptop motherboard but am concerned about the Windows 10 that will not be on the new board. Do I have to purchase a new software OS?

WAslayer

Expert Member
No, you don't have to..

I moved my existing install over to my new motherboard, started a live chat with Microsoft support and asked them to activate Windows for me since I changed the motherboard.. 10 minutes later, windows activated..

marco

Expert Member
Thanks but what I did was replace my Windows 10 to Ubuntu as the MB has an embedded 32 GB eMMC. To save space I formatted the HD first.

Now I want to install a 128 GB SSD and a new MB as the old MB does not have an edge connector for an SSD.

The new SSD will not have an OS. So my concern is about getting Windows 10 on it.

Nevar

Just out of interest what laptop are you running ? as I have never heard of a laptop that supports newer Motherboards ?

Sure if it is faulty it can be replaced with the same but upgrading seems a bit far fetched.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Just out of interest what laptop are you running ? as I have never heard of a laptop that supports newer Motherboards ?

Sure if it is faulty it can be replaced with the same but upgrading seems a bit far fetched.
I agree. Rather sell the old one and buy a new one.

ponder

Honorary Master
Upgrade latop motherboard :ROFL:
It's possible, you get different specs in a model range and dropping a higher specced MB into the same lower specced chassis is at times doable. My old nx6110 would accomodate MBs from higher specced nx6xxx & nc6xxx models. Got to be careful in picking the replacement board though and it's not financially viable to buy new either, would have to source from ebay etc. Might as well just buy another laptop.

marco

Expert Member
This is a brand new laptop that I was given. It is an Acer E 11 and I can buy a MB with an edge connector for £ 40 and a 128 GB SSD for £ 30. That is R 1 400.00 for a brand new laptop with no OS.

marco

Expert Member
Where can I get it for that price. I can get a key off ebay though but I don't know how to use it.

airborne

Executive Member
Where can I get it for that price. I can get a key off ebay though but I don't know how to use it.
EBay keys seem to all be msdn keys. Check the classifieds on Mybb there are some legit sellers that look to sell Win 10 Pro for around R250, use a pid checker after installing to make sure it's a oem or retail key.

airborne

Executive Member
I'd try Flashgear on the forum, he sells in the classifieds, he's legit, other guys in not sure, eBay keys are almost guaranteed not legit.

marco

Expert Member
$14 Not too bad at all but I'll look for Flashgear first as he is local. Thanks.