US Election 2020 - Pt 2

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Biden blisters Trump pandemic actions as 'historic mismanagement'
Biden: 'It seems our wartime president has surrendered, waved the white flag and abandoned the battlefield'.

Democratic Presidential candidate Joe Biden on Tuesday used the occasion of his first news conference in nearly 90 days to launch a fresh attack on United States President Donald Trump for what he called the president's "historic mismanagement" of the coronavirus pandemic.

Speaking in his hometown of Wilmington, Delaware, the former vice president argued that earlier action by Trump would have reduced the number who fell ill and the economic impact of the virus. Biden accused Trump of "outright ignoring the crisis" as cases rise.

Biden said Trump, who at one point in the pandemic declared himself a "wartime president", appears to have given up the fight.

"Now it's almost July and it seems our wartime president has surrendered, waved the white flag and abandoned the battlefield," Biden said.

buka001

Executive Member
Let me cut you short quicky.
There are no scenarios where you can violate individual rights on the basis of a collective, or to frame it better, there are no scenarios that specifically need collective rights because individual rights are insufficient to protect people's freedom.

Philosophically, this is commutarianism vs individualism.

Good debate on it here:

If you want to fame it correctly, you can limit individual rights when they violate someone else's individual rights. But you can only do this if there is no other way to resolve the issue. This is broadly what is written down in SA's constitution in section 36.

This is a good part of SA's constitution and I think it is the legal principle that most courts use in most cases to resolve conflicts of rights.

So topic at hand: when it is ok to force someone to wear a mask and when it is not.

If I am out running in the fresh air and I can keep away from people (which when I run, happens naturally because I end up sweating and smelling like a pig), I am not violating anyone else's right to life as the chances of someone else catching the Kung flu from me is very low. So forcing someone to wear a mask in this scenario is unreasonable. Also people can voluntarily choose to go to the beach as it is a leisure activity. If someone feels that they are vulnerable to coronachan, they don't have to go there.

That is different to lets say in a supermarket, where there isn't fresh air, keeping a good distance isn't possible, and people kinda have to go to there to get supplies. In that scenareo, given there isn't really much other option, wearing a mask can be a regulation. But you are now also interfering with how the supermarket does its business.
This is where the " less restrictive means to achieve the purpose" comes into play. Simply asking a shop to do this can achieve the purpose in a much restrictive way. Since most people are statists and do whatever the government says they must do, the vast majority of shops will enforce a mask policy.

To use a less controversial topic: speeding.
This might be uncomfortable for you, but there is an acceptable rate of traffic fatalities.

How do I make this claim?
If you limited the speed of every vehicle to 40km/h, you would would dramatically reduce the amount of people who die and get seriously injured from car accidents. Insurance claims would also be a lot less as you would have to be a special person to total a car at 40km/h.
So why isn't this law?
Because of a few things:
1) Enforcing the limitation will be highly difficult as people generally want to go faster than 40km/h.
2) There is an economic cost to enforcing such an imposing thing, both directly in terms of the amount of enforcement and indirectly in terms of the hours of productivity that is lost driving at 40km/h.
3) Turning everyone into a criminal makes it easer for people to break more laws. (broken windows).

Stupid people (eg the South African government), do not look at secondary effects of policy. They only look at the effect right in front of them and don't think about what the broader impacts of said policy will be.
Your philosophy is at odds with your objection to lockdowns.

Texas opened up its bars and other public places again to appease the Muh FreEDOm crowd, only to see cases spike. Texas is now closing the bars again.

People will now die because of the conflict in rights.

We saw this with the whole "Willing to die for the economy" line that came out in April.

And I warned that despite the importance of the protests, ultimately they would also bring about unnecessary deaths due to the virus. Time will tell if the claims that because they were outdoors, people wore masks and so on did mitigate the rise in cases, but I am sure that there will still be transmissions and subsequently deaths due to the protests.

buka001

Executive Member
Oh for some entertainment, read the actual bio of the lawyer who was hired by that couple to defend the..

This is real. Sounds like such a charming bloke.

boramk

Bammed
4 more months and hopefully this charade of a Presidency ends.

He has no consistent messaging and his motto of Keep America Great is falling flat since it ain't great.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Only if they are white. That will result in a complete cleansing of whiteness and finally the progressive utopia, free of white people will be realized.
Except of course if you are a white person. Then you are as morally culpable for slavery as if you actually owned slaves yourself.
I can understand how that will upset you. I mean white people today are fully morally culpable for stuff that other white people did 400 years ago.
lol, the victimhood complex just never stops. Just endless grievance and whining.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Disgraceful tweet from a person of his stature. Anyhow, Florida is a huge state, there are probably many elderly people in Florida who vote Democrat. Also the simple fact of wishing death on your political opponents...yeah.

Why are you complaining about the tweet and not the 2 Republican elected officials responsible for it?

And he's not wishing death on his opponents, even if the tweet is distasteful.

The rich, old retired racist driving around in a golf cart yelling "white power" is a pretty good distillation of Trumpism, too.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Speaking of confederate statues...

Jeff Sessions is still a racist ass.

“The police had been demoralized. There was all the Obama — there’s a riot, and he has a beer at the White House with some criminal, to listen to him. Wasn’t having a beer with the police officers."
Referring to Henry Louis Gates Jr.

It's also a lie, since the police officer was also there.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Gosh, why would they do that?

The Senate will incorporate the annual intelligence policy legislation into the National Defense Authorization Act -- but only after stripping language from the intelligence bill that would have required presidential campaigns to report offers of foreign election help.

Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia, the top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, said Tuesday that Senate Republicans forced the removal of the election reporting provision as a condition to include the intelligence bill on the must-pass defense policy legislation.

access

Honorary Master
In 1977 I was nine.

Steve Biko was killed.

Elvis died and Hotel California came out.

We'd had teevee for two years and we were watching CHiPs and Bonanza and Rich Man, Poor Man and the Dingleys... Before then we'd have to listen to Springbok radio.

My favourite movies that year were Star Wars and Smokey and the Bandit.

Nico Diederichs was president and Colin Eglin started the PFP. Jimmy Carter became POTUS.

I'm 52 today, and obviously, I'm *exactly* the same person I was in '77. No changes, whatsoever... That's how humans work. We never change and learn and evolve, amirite?
sooo......

do you feel the same about ex nazis :D

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Redneck Trumptard hicks not happy.

Facebook bans hundreds of accounts tied to violent 'Boogaloos'

Facebook will remove groups, accounts and pages connected to violence or that are a 'credible threat to public safety'.

Facebook on Tuesday announced that it had banned a violent anti-government network loosely associated with the broader "Boogaloo" movement, a slang term supporters use to refer to a second US civil war or a collapse of civilisation.

But the platform did not try to name the group, underscoring the difficulty of grappling with an amorphous network linked to a string of domestic terror plots that appears to obfuscate its existence. Among other complications, its internet-savvy members tend to keep their distance from one another, frequently change their symbols and catchphrases and mask their intentions with sarcasm.

The move by Facebook designates the group as a dangerous organisation similar to the ISIL (ISIS) group and white supremacists, both of which are already banned from its service. The social network is not banning all references to "Boogaloo" and said it is only removing groups, accounts and pages when they have a "clear connection to violence or a credible threat to public safety".

The loose movement is named after "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo," a 1984 sequel to a movie about breakdancing. "Boogaloo" supporters have shown up at protests against COVID-19 lockdown orders, carrying rifles and wearing tactical gear over Hawaiian shirts - themselves a reference to "big luau," a homophone for "Boogaloo" sometimes favoured by group members.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Trump 2020: He reads.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Your philosophy is at odds with your objection to lockdowns.

Texas opened up its bars and other public places again to appease the Muh FreEDOm crowd, only to see cases spike. Texas is now closing the bars again.

People will now die because of the conflict in rights.

We saw this with the whole "Willing to die for the economy" line that came out in April.

And I warned that despite the importance of the protests, ultimately they would also bring about unnecessary deaths due to the virus. Time will tell if the claims that because they were outdoors, people wore masks and so on did mitigate the rise in cases, but I am sure that there will still be transmissions and subsequently deaths due to the protests.
I remember this other time were thousands of people gathered in the streets for some unknown reason.

rietrot

Honorary Master
4 more months and hopefully this charade of a Presidency ends.

He has no consistent messaging and his motto of Keep America Great is falling flat since it ain't great.
Jip the Rona and lockdowns really screwed with his campaign slogan. That was planned way to far ahead.

He should definitely revert to MAGA and start talking about rebuilding.

lumeer

Expert Member
Why are you complaining about the tweet and not the 2 Republican elected officials responsible for it?

And he's not wishing death on his opponents, even if the tweet is distasteful.

The rich, old retired racist driving around in a golf cart yelling "white power" is a pretty good distillation of Trumpism, too.
It's disgraceful because he is implying that senior citizens in Florida are white supremacists.