• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

US politics general thread

Tman*

Expert Member
Trump has an army of crazier followers. He obviously wants Kanye's endorse because most of the rest of the entertainment industry oppose him. Plus Kanye being black is a further nod for him. He must know that Kanye is given to stunting.
Ah yes, the "Basket of deplorables" as 'ol Hilldog calls 'em :ROFL:

Seriously

Honorary Master
Not even worth the effort. They ignore this at all costs. Why they do so willingly I can only guess it's cause it doesn't fit in to their agenda.
Yet many of them suffer and struggle with our own homebrew illegals problem causing our society and economy to strain close to a collapse in itself.

Emjay

Expert Member
The Federalist Society gave Trump the list he's allowed to choose from, and they don't really care. So yeah, they could have lined up any drone that would do the same thing for them.

But I suspect Trump just didn't want to back down (because he's an egomaniac), and incidentally Kavanaugh wrote an opinion in 2009 saying he doesn't think sitting presidents should be indicted. Also conveniently changed his mind (after railing against Clinton) on expanding the presidency's power when he started working for Bush. ;)

It's already paying dividends, as today Kavanaugh pretty much said the federal govt. can detain immigrants indefinitely w/o bail hearings, that their power to do so is unfettered & in fact intended to be harsh in its application. Even fellow Trump appointee, Gorsuch, seemed troubled by it. Due process lovers curiously not minding this.

https://t.co/DWhEqYHdft
The debate around due process aside, you really are being dishonest in terms of this. You are just putting this down to Trump egomania, and now somehow trying to cast Kavanaugh as a Trump plant to enact Trump's wishes. You do understand that Kavanaugh has to work within the confines of the law and what Congress wishes and cannot make unilateral decisions, right? If you read the transcript (at https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/2018/16-1363_h315.pdf), you will note that Kavanaugh is not against putting in time-frames completely. He was trying to dig a little deeper into understanding what a "reasonable" time frame would be. If you read testimony by Mr. Tripp, you would also see that there is more to this than just detaining illegal immigrants who may be criminals for an indefinite period.

greg0205

Honorary Master
You know how folk say there's a Trump tweet for everything Trump does? Well, the last couple of days have been doozies...

Let's take a look, shall we?

@realDonaldTrump

Let’s be honest, if Obama thought he could get away with campaigning during the storm, then he would have been in Ohio on Monday.
7:51 PM - 30 Oct 2012
@realDonaldTrump

Yesterday Obama campaigned with JayZ & Springsteen while Hurricane Sandy victims across NY & NJ are still decimated by Sandy. Wrong!
10:01 PM - 6 Nov 2012
@realDonaldTrump

It's Thursday and only 26 days until the election. How many illegal donations from China and Saudi Arabia did Obama collect today?
10:07 PM - 11 Oct 2012
That last one is spectacular... Yesterday, Thursday, we were 26 days away from the midterms, and, as you may have heard:

"As to whether we should stop $110 billion from being spent in this country, that would not be acceptable to me." - Donald J Trump, yesterday.

"They buy apartments from me. They spend $40 million, $50 million. Am I supposed to dislike them? I like them very much." - Donald J Trump, 2015 on his campaign trail.

cerebus

Honorary Master
You can whine all you want. Go and read back. I can't be bothered, it's there. I actually think it was one of Cerebus's posts with regards to Kavanaugh, I might be mistaken about the poster.
It's actually the opposite of what you claimed:

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobb...-say-they-have-not-been-able-to-reach-the-fbi

Multiple people who have information related to sexual misconduct allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh have come up empty in their attempts to speak with the FBI, according to Reuters.

The news service's report comes as a deadline for the FBI investigation into Kavanaugh nears. It's also been reported that the probe could end on Wednesday morning.

Richard Oh — a Yale classmate of Kavanaugh and Deborah Ramirez, the woman accusing Kavanaugh of exposing himself in front of her at a college party — told Reuters that he contacted the FBI's Denver field office twice.

He said he unsuccessfully attempted to provide information that would support Ramirez's claim.

cerebus

Honorary Master
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-now-cost-americans-more-than-obamacare-taxes

Trump's tariffs now cost Americans more than Obamacare taxes

On Sept. 19, President Trump imposed a 10 percent tax on $200 billion of Chinese imports. On Jan. 1, 2019, this tax will rise to 25 percent. But even without that January tariff rate increase, trade taxes on American businesses and consumers will exceed those of the ACA.

With the added $20 billion in trade taxes coming from this latest round of tariffs, the National Taxpayers Union Foundation now estimates the total annual cost of enacted tariffs to be $41.65 billion. That easily outpaces the tax bill from the Affordable Care Act for next year ($34.6 billion) after accounting for recent changes to the ACA.