Using CPE for wifi (Realtek 8186 on Amobia)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Hi, I recently discovered that my CPE for Amobia wireless has a Wifi SSID of RTL8186-GW and was wondering if I could use this for normal Wifi access to my phone and laptop. Currently I have a Linksys WRT54G connected to the CAT5 cable that comes from CPE but it would be sweet if I could just use the CPE and have no other cables or routers.

Kloon

Expert Member
You sure its your cpe? normally a cpe is only a link to the wisp. For it to broadcast would need a more expensive rb with more than one mini pci slot and a extra radio which equals more money, and wisps wont realy give you more than you need.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I am pretty sure it is. I have so far only picked it up with me phone (N82) when standing next to it. I am a complete novice when it comes to CPE stuff and so far I have figured out that I can reach the admin console of the CPE box on 192.168.8.1 but I do not have a username and password for it. I did mail the support guys and I hope they will help me.

From what I have read up on the RTL8186 it seems it can connect 2 networks and my guess is that the one is the WISP and the other my CAT5 LAN. Not sure where this Wifi SSID comes from but I am hoping that after they (hopefully) supply me with a username and password I will be able to configure a WPA2 key for it.

Either way I am hoping to move to neotel in February.