rabothole

Just as a warning to the people out there trying out Vidi's Streaming service on the bases that its a 30 day trial.

When I registered I distinctly chose to not subscribe to the unlimited plan and that I would only be interested in the Rentals, due to the fact that they stated that you would only be billed for the movies you watch I continued to add my CC details. I read the T & C's and nowhere there it stated that you would be billed for anything if you have not selected it...

So when I completed I noticed that hey they enrolled you to the 30 day trail for the full subscription, I went ... thats awesome of them, I browsed a bit and even thought they have something here that might be appealing to some that's not used to much, I tested the speed it needed to stream and so on. Never watched anything entirely... I started to tell some friend about this service and they should check it out BUT remember not to check the box that says Unlimited Subscription.... until one day the 10th of Oct 2014:

My account was debited with the monthly subscription of R149 that renewed my Subscription, I emailed them and their response was : "Once you have registered for the 30 day FREE trial you accept the terms and condition stating that after the 30 days free trial you will be billed R149 per month for the membership."

Even though T & C's stated :
5.3 If you select the Subscription option then you authorise us to charge you such Subscription for each Subscription Period. After confirmation it was due to the content that was viewed in the Trail period.

So guys please note that the free trail only entitles them to start billing you after that.

Just a heads up on that one. I will now rather drive to the DVD-shop and rent Blue Ray's for more money and time consumed than support this local business trying to rob you before they started.

Thank you for this awesome platform to warn people to not fall in the same trap.

Last edited:

Jakkels1991

Expert Member
Just as a warning to the people out there trying out Vidi's Streaming service on the bases that its a 30 day trial.

When I registered I distinctly chose to not subscribe to the unlimited plan and that I would only be interested in the Rentals, due to the fact that they stated that you would only be billed for the movies you watch I continued to add my CC details. I read the T & C's and nowhere there it stated that you would be billed for anything if you have not selected it...

So when I completed I noticed that hey they enrolled you to the 30 day trail for the full subscription, I went ... thats awesome of them, I browsed a bit and even thought they have something here that might be appealing to some that's not used to much, I tested the speed it needed to stream and so on. Nevern watched anything entirely... I statred to tell some friend about this service and they should check it out BUT remember not to check the box that says Unlimited Subscription.... until one day the 10th of Oct 2014:

My account was debited with the monthly subscription of R149 that renewed my Subscription, I emailed them and their response was : "Once you have registered for the 30 day FREE trial you accept the terms and condition stating that after the 30 days free trial you will be billed R149 per month for the membership."

Even though T & C's stated :
5.3 If you select the Subscription option then you authorise us to charge you such Subscription for each Subscription Period. After confirmation it was due to the content that was viewed in the Trail period.

So guys please note that the free trail only entitles them to start billing you after that.

Just a heads up on that one. I will now rather drive to the DVD-shop and rent Blue Ray's for more money and time consumed than support this local business trying to rob you before they started.

Thank you for this awesome platform to warning people to not fall in the same trap.

Yes this also happen to me! Great start VIDI... Immediately cancelled that *****... No more monies for them idiots

rabothole

Yes this also happen to me! Great start VIDI... Immediately cancelled that *****... No more monies for them idiots

Its such a shame, the company and things seemed so Legit(over time would have made a difference)... I would have seriously gave them a shot renting movie I want to see and not drive to go collect and return, but I tell you... I will not again give this company a chance.

I'll even go as far as rather renting from VUDU/Amazon Prime instead of just supporting local.

Jola

Honorary Master
I understood it like that and cancelled before the due date, I don't think that it was misleading.

I would like to support them, but cancelled because of poor streaming and the lack of a proper Android App.

I understand that they are just starting, and would support them in spite of the poor selection, but they have to fix the previously mentioned first.

In the meantime back to Netflix. And iTunes.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Its such a shame, the company and things seemed so Legit(over time would have made a difference)... I would have seriously gave them a shot renting movie I want to see and not drive to go collect and return, but I tell you... I will not again give this company a chance.

I'll even go as far as rather renting from VUDU/Amazon Prime instead of just supporting local.

Amazon bills you a year in advance after the 30 day trial, just by the way.

shogun

Expert Member
Most services do this when you have to enter credit card details for a trial. It's a common practice, and now that you have seen it, you will spot it more often.

Not saying it's a nice thing to do, but lots of companies do it. In my opinion a trial should be a trial... once it expires, you should then be prompted for payment details. The service should be good enough that people want to sign up after the trial.

Deanoblado

sorry guys but this is normal how these services work e.g hulu, netflix etc. vidi is no different. if you sign up for the 30 day trail period you need cancel before the trial is over otherwise you will be billed.

rabothole

I agree actually with all of you...

The difference with the other services they do not give you the option to subscribe without the unlimited subscription... They actually have it in their terms and conditions that they will bill you after the trail ran out... Where as Vidi's T&C's says depending on your selecton when subscribe would be charged accordingly. Which in this case was false and I was billed according to the content viewed on the trail.

Amazon tells you on subscription that you will be charged annually which is also only R1000 and thats annual still a lot cheaper than the Vidi price... Even with you annual unotelly subscription this would save you about R600 annually... No questions asked.

Dont get me wrong I would have gladly gave them a chance if this did not happen even if the content sucks, streaming isnterrible, android app is just a replication of the site... But my intention was just to warn people of the fact that you invertently give them permission to deduct a Montly subscription if you viewed any content even if your selection for the subscription was to only use the rental option.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Most services do this when you have to enter credit card details for a trial. It's a common practice, and now that you have seen it, you will spot it more often.

Not saying it's a nice thing to do, but lots of companies do it. In my opinion a trial should be a trial... once it expires, you should then be prompted for payment details. The service should be good enough that people want to sign up after the trial.

Except because people are sleezy bastards they will rather create new email addresses to carry on using the trial forever and never pay.

rabothole

You know there are terrible people out there, but the main thing should be, If you don't want user to have options then just don't give it to them... don't go and be sneaky about it. I read through those terms and conditions of Vidi and nowhere it states that if you view content in the trial period you give them the authority to debit you account for the next month. I could not find the word Trail for searching if in my browsers search option. Now suddenly after some noise was made they quickly updated their T & C's

Before some noise was made:
5 Prices, Payment and Access Period
5.1 All of our Prices in relation to the Service are set out on the Website and may change from time to time.
5.2 You must pay the applicable Price to us either via credit card or debit order or such other payment method made available by us.
5.3 If you select the Subscription option then you authorise us to charge you such Subscription for each Subscription Period.

and After some noise was made:
5 Prices, Payment and Access Period
5.1 All of our Prices in relation to the Service are set out on the Website and may change from time to time.
5.2 You must pay the applicable Price to us either via credit card or debit order or such other payment method made available by us.
5.3 If you select the Subscription option then you authorise us to charge you such Subscription for each Subscription Period automatically after the first 30 days Free trial.

Convenient ? Or sneaky ?

But tell the user to go away thats how we work....

rabothole

Just got a phone call from VIDI, they apologise for handling the issue the way they did and they will be refunding the money after all. They will then keep me as a subscriber that will be billed for what was rented as I requested. So seems to me that they actually gives a damn.

Thank you VIDI.