Vodacom CEO explains why mobile data expires

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Vodacom CEO explains why mobile data expires

Vodacom CEO Shameel Joosub has explained that mobile data expiry and high out-of-bundle rates are legacy issues which need to be addressed.

Speaking to eNCA’s Taking Stock, Joosub said the cellular industry in South Africa evolved to create lower in-bundle rates and higher out-of-bundle rates.

ttygt

Oh, so I loose it because it is cheap.

So what about this: Ask me the flipping full price, which never expires, and I will gladly pay.

InfidelGastro

It sounds far fetched but nevertheless, this tidy little money spinning scam of theirs will finally be coming to an end and they'll have to come up with another scam. I have little doubt that they will, if they haven't already.

system32

Expert Member
He said they are building a new system where customers will be warned when their in-bundle data is set to expire, and they will be given three four options:
  1. Buy a new data bundle that is compliant with CPA and does not expire
  2. Buy a new data bundle.
  3. Continue to use the Internet with higher out-of-bundle rates.
  4. Stop using the service..
  1. FTFY - just make your bundles comply with CPA and not expire.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
What Shameel was talking about is pricing, not expiry.

Data bundles expire because it's a service, not a physical product.

Milk, petrol, etc. are all physical products and don't expire. Once you bought it, you take it home and consume it at your leasure.

Access to a data network is a service, just like you pay for access to a gym, DSTV, etc.

I've been saying on this forum for many years, the first person that can turn data into a physical product you can buy and take home for later consumption will win the Nobel prize for Physics. :)

system32

Expert Member

Milk, petrol, etc. are all physical products and don't expire. Once you bought it, you take it home and consume it at your leasure.

Access to a data network is a service, just like you pay for access to a gym, DSTV, etc.

I've been saying on this forum for many years, the first person that can turn data into a physical product you can buy and take home for later consumption will win the Nobel prize for Physics. :)
Can I have the Nobel prize for pointing out that electricity is not a physical product.
Pre-paid electricity does not expire?
Why should data expire?

isie

Executive Member

I went to the shops and I bought a recharge voucher today - and i load it on my phone in a months time

Please send me my nobel prize.

Budza

Executive Member
Can I have the Nobel prize for pointing out that electricity is not a physical product.
Pre-paid electricity does not expire?
Why should data expire?
Careful- electricity costs more the more you use...

Don't give them any ideas!

:sick:

system32

Expert Member
Where is that in the CPA?

You might be thinking of vouchers? That must last for 3 years?
No I'm not thinking of vouchers.
The CPA is not clear in this regard.
The spirit if the CPA was to prevent unfair consumer practices by corporates like Vodacom.
Expiry of data is unfair.
Vodacom used a narrow definition to ignore the CPA.

NCC disagrees with you and Vodacom in terms of data expiry - see MyBB
All data bundles must be valid for at least 3 years – National Consumer Commission
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...ast-3-years-national-consumer-commission.html

#DataMustFall

isie

Executive Member
Careful- electricity costs more the more you use...

Don't give them any ideas!

:sick:
Electricity the more you use the more you pay - but i can build up a surplus if i buy below the change over rate but not use it.
Data the more i buy the less i pay but i have to use it all up before the month ends :cautious:

lotus123

Now here's the thing - if I want to, I can spend all day at the gym, or all day watching DSTV (re-runs). So in a sense that's like an "uncapped service" (yes, I accept that the gym has fixed opening hours, but the point still stands).

So to get back to your analogy, access to a data network is a service if you pay for a fixed term of usage, as you do with uncapped data. When you buy bundles, it's a product.