Vodacom number leak fix being implemented

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Well done Vodacom for taking responsibility for the issue and for acting quickly with a fix. Refreshing to see this approach, and not trying to blame it on a hacker :)

VegOtter

If only all companies and *cough cough* certain government/districts would adopt this same approach.

If someone finds a vulnerability or bug, then thank that person for pointing it out and fix it. Simple and effective.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
How long has this 'leak' been in effect? When was it officially introduced, albeit unintentionally as they say?

TrueCartman

Did myBB contact them first when discovering this or did they announce it to the world first..? I would have preferred they told vodacom first...Allowed them to respond and fix the issue and the tell everyone.."hey we saw this issue reported it and they fixed it" instead of "hey every website everywhere gather as much info as you can from vodacom subscribers while they try and fix the issue". Like the guy who reported the City of johburg issue..Granted he tried and failed but at least he tried his level best to let them know before taking the other route. Just my opinion ...:)

genetic

Honorary Master
Did myBB contact them first when discovering this or did they announce it to the world first..? I would have preferred they told vodacom first...Allowed them to respond and fix the issue and the tell everyone.."hey we saw this issue reported it and they fixed it" instead of "hey every website everywhere gather as much info as you can from vodacom subscribers while they try and fix the issue". Like the guy who reported the City of johburg issue..Granted he tried and failed but at least he tried his level best to let them know before taking the other route. Just my opinion ...:)

Stated in the article...

Thanks to the MyBroadband investigation, we identified a bug in this update which means that in some cases the cellphone number and IMEI number were sporadically visible to other websites,” Boorman said.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Did myBB contact them first when discovering this or did they announce it to the world first...?

We told Vodacom first (around 15:00 on Tuesday), but we weren't the first to know, which is why we ended up publishing (just before 10:00 on Wednesday) before they had a fix in place. I fired off e-mails to them whenever we discovered something else in testing.

Solitude

Executive Member
Sure it's great that they are fixing the number leak but it hasn't been mentioned anywhere that they are modifying the data being sent. With websites being shown differently when using Vodacom.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
We told Vodacom first (around 15:00 on Tuesday), but we weren't the first to know, which is why we ended up publishing (just before 10:00 on Wednesday) before they had a fix in place. I fired off e-mails to them whenever we discovered something else in testing.

Ok, then thats not too bad then.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Well done Vodacom for taking responsibility for the issue and for acting quickly with a fix. Refreshing to see this approach, and not trying to blame it on a hacker :)
Damn, forgot about the 'hacker' angle.... :(

But, as I always say in these cases; ****'s going to happen. Best we work together and fix it as soon as possible.

Beri

Expert Member
Free phone for the guy that found the problem and pointed it out should be in order!!!!

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Free phone for the guy that found the problem and pointed it out should be in order!!!!
Cool idea, as soon as he comes out the woodwork, we can sue him! :D

Actually, not sure who it was, got it directly from Jan. Might even be more than 1 person.

Chingha

Expert Member

Actually, not sure who it was, got it directly from Jan. Might even be more than 1 person.

i can let you have that info if you would like it.

Equalizer

Banned
The problem actually started more than a decade ago. Vodacom was informed by the media about 7 years ago. It was still ongoing up to now.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master

Probably more than 1 person ;) and there is also probably

Journalistic source protection is important for this reason though

Maybe Vodacom should give MyBB some goodies to put into a draw, or better yet make an unconditional funding grant for postgraduate studies for investigative tech journalism ...

Beri

Expert Member
Probably more than 1 person ;) and there is also probably

Journalistic source protection is important for this reason though

Maybe Vodacom should give MyBB some goodies to put into a draw, or better yet make an unconditional funding grant for postgraduate studies for investigative tech journalism ...

Goodies for a draw never works in my favor..... :(

I am sure Jan can had it over to his source. Call him mr X

LPCPT

So you can actually buy stuff and pay with your phone credit?
Where was I all the time.

Oh now I remember, I just play safe. Never will I use mobile money. Pay via bank or credit card.
Can't wait for some suckers, who entrust their money to a mobile operator to be scammed.

Grep

Jannie, there have been lots of allegations thrown around about of how Vodacom has been selling off client information to other companies. I am not just talking about companies under the Vodacom umbrella per say, but selling it off to anyone that is willing to pay.

Can you elaborate possibly on this? Has this stuff ever happened, is it ongoing or are people making up stories?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Jannie, there have been lots of allegations thrown around about of how Vodacom has been selling off client information to other companies. I am not just talking about companies under the Vodacom umbrella per say, but selling it off to anyone that is willing to pay.

Can you elaborate possibly on this? Has this stuff ever happened, is it ongoing or are people making up stories?
Obviously it's against policy, so no such thing will happen officially. I can honestly say I've not ever seen this happen in any way and at one point I was hell-bent to find out. So far, never found a trace but if you have a story, please make contact and I'll pick it up.