Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
By blew up they probably mean it fused. When light can't travel through an optic up it heats it up and fuses it. This causes light to be reflected back at the point heating it even further and initiating a chain reaction of fuses.

Don't think this is the problem though. It appears we were shifted to a new ip yesterday. Data goes through but doesn't travel back again because, probably, the old ip was still being sent out. I also got billed for the lost MBs yesterday so they must have travelled back but only never reached me. Can anybody confirm this ip change?
 
Ok, does sound like backhaul link congestion, best to email Vodacom along with full details of your location and the all important http://speed.vodacom.co.za/ test results.


On Vodacom HSDPA with 98% signal strength I got the following results:
Download speed: 154kbps
Upload speed: 51kbps

That's still in the EDGE range while I'm on an HSDPA connection:(
 
Probably a silly question, but are you on pre-paid and do you have enough funds?

If not, call 155 and let them check your profile.

V3G ... I have emailed you regarding my problems but have not heard anything back from you. I know you have been away but have you received my email? Your mailgate01.vodacom.co.za was refusing mail outright today. I tried emailing you from 3 different servers, the server would all connect to mailgate01.vodacom.co.za and that server would just cut the connection.

Please let me know.
 
On HSDPA. Current Download Speed between 2 and 4KB/s. Not normal. Did a speed test just now after download:
Download Speed: 1298 kbps (162.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 332 kbps (41.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

What the hell is going on?
 
Try downloading from a different server.

I doubt there's a different server, as i thought that might be the case. Its the new Huawei software i'm downloading from the Huawei link in Csnoopy's post.

I wasted about 30megs trying to download it, then i had to cancel the download becoz i had a customer come in and i needed to use my laptop for some updates for her modem :(
 
You need to instead a [searchforum]Download Manager[/searchforum] to pause & resume downloads as well as use multiple threads to speed up your downloads.

Funny you should mention this...

I have DAP installed. Downloaded the file. Instead of the 15meg zip with software, DAP downloaded a 15meg file called "download.do". With DAP, it found only one Source, and that's the Huawei Server. Got Download Speed of about 30 to 45KB/s. And i have DAP set to "Extreme Acceleration".
 
Weird Problem help please??

Can anyone explain this?

I got a Nokia 6234 and prepaid vodacom sim a couple of days ago, for my son to use. I have downloaded the wap settings etc. The sim is provisioned for data etc. During the day up until about 6pm the internet access works fine, but in the evening trying to access any data connection (web, mxit etc) results in the error "packet data authentication failure". This has occured for the last 3 nights since we got the phone and card.

I have tried changing from 3G to GPRS, but get the same error.

If i put a contract sim into the phone it connects.

The strange thing is during the day it all works fine, suggesting the setting on the phone are valid - it seems for some reason Vodacom is blocking this sim from accessing any data connection after a certain time??
 
Hope this problem with the connections in certain regions will be looked into cause i cant take this extremely low download rates, because even websites are giving me a timeouts, its starting to get on my nerves :mad:
 
Hope this problem with the connections in certain regions will be looked into cause i cant take this extremely low download rates, because even websites are giving me a timeouts, its starting to get on my nerves :mad:

Yup, it's driving me crazy. It works fine during the day, so it's not my phone. It's not a particular tower, either, because I've tried in a variety of locations. It starts about 17:30 (or earlier, but that's the earliest I normally try to use it), and then lasts until about 22:30. It was fine last week, and I had hoped that it was just people trying to use up their bundle before the end of the month, but it's just carried right on into the new month. It either won't connect, or if it miraculously does, it doesn't actually load any sites. It's almost as if it can't even contact the DNS server.

This is why I moved away from VM, and to VC (prepaid, in case that makes a difference). And because it's GPRS on my phone that I'm trying to use, I can't even just use a MTN sim card - I'm not swapping sim cards every time I want to check my email via my phone!
 
Yup, it's driving me crazy. It works fine during the day, so it's not my phone. It's not a particular tower, either, because I've tried in a variety of locations. It starts about 17:30 (or earlier, but that's the earliest I normally try to use it), and then lasts until about 22:30. It was fine last week, and I had hoped that it was just people trying to use up their bundle before the end of the month, but it's just carried right on into the new month. It either won't connect, or if it miraculously does, it doesn't actually load any sites. It's almost as if it can't even contact the DNS server.

This is why I moved away from VM, and to VC (prepaid, in case that makes a difference). And because it's GPRS on my phone that I'm trying to use, I can't even just use a MTN sim card - I'm not swapping sim cards every time I want to check my email via my phone!

Same problem here, its been like this for the last month or so, works fine during the day, do you think maybe its because the traffic on the network is more after 17:00 ? At first i thought it maybe be only the international connection but lately its .co.za sites also, i hope it gets fixed SOON !!!!! :(
 
Yup, it's driving me crazy. It works fine during the day, so it's not my phone. It's not a particular tower, either, because I've tried in a variety of locations. It starts about 17:30 (or earlier, but that's the earliest I normally try to use it), and then lasts until about 22:30. It was fine last week, and I had hoped that it was just people trying to use up their bundle before the end of the month, but it's just carried right on into the new month. It either won't connect, or if it miraculously does, it doesn't actually load any sites. It's almost as if it can't even contact the DNS server.

This is why I moved away from VM, and to VC (prepaid, in case that makes a difference). And because it's GPRS on my phone that I'm trying to use, I can't even just use a MTN sim card - I'm not swapping sim cards every time I want to check my email via my phone!

same thing in pe on a moto v360v
 
Are contract sims given preference over prepaid during peak data traffic? :confused:

That is how it appears to me, because if i replace the prepaid sim for a contract sim the phone connects without problem.

I had wondered if their was some way one could limit the time a sim could access the net, some type of "parental control" system, as this prepaid sim is one that has been reissued(we can access the previous owner mxit contacts etc) but that seems not to be the case.
 
Still having same problems with prepaid vodacom sims.

V3G any ideas whats is causing this and when we can expect resolution or is it time to ditch said vodacom prepaid sim and use another network?
 
Hi all,
Been getting loads of dropped DNS queries and connections to servers simply dropping. The ppp connection stays up fine though. So I tried vodacom3g's suggestion of the pinging a server on their side and got the following results. Speeds are ok though, right?

Connection Info
Area: Braamfontein, Jhb
Modem: Huawei E220
Firmware: 11.110.05.00.67
APN: internet
SIM: Prepaid

Signal: ~97%
Download: 886 kbps
Upload: 354 kbps
(single pass on http://speed.vodacom.co.za/speedtest/)

Ping Statistics

ping -t smtp.vodacom.co.za

Ping statistics for 196.11.146.148:
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 24, Lost = 26 (52% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 222ms, Maximum = 453ms, Average = 286ms

Ping statistics for 196.11.146.148:
Packets: Sent = 53, Received = 20, Lost = 33 (62% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 78ms, Maximum = 440ms, Average = 122ms​


ping -t -l 512 smtp.vodacom.co.za

Ping statistics for 196.11.146.148:
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 13, Lost = 37 (74% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 149ms, Maximum = 973ms, Average = 269ms

Ping statistics for 196.11.146.148:
Packets: Sent = 61, Received = 17, Lost = 44 (72% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 150ms, Maximum = 460ms, Average = 191ms​

ping -t -l 1024 smtp.vodacom.co.za

Ping statistics for 196.11.146.148:
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 11, Lost = 39 (78% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 211ms, Maximum = 327ms, Average = 237ms

Ping statistics for 196.11.146.148:
Packets: Sent = 46, Received = 13, Lost = 33 (71% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 223ms, Maximum = 509ms, Average = 258ms​
 
Last edited:
Not even going to greet as I am too frustrated to even be civil.

Looking through a lot of the previous posts we all seem to have similar problems in different areas.

It seems that in the evenings everything goes for a ball of ****! It starts at around 17:00 hours and lasts until around 22:30 - 23:00.

For myself, I have noticed that Mondays - Thursdays are horrible, with Friday and Saturday nights being pretty good and then Sunday nights are pathetic again.

I have done the speed tests, reported it to 155 with no feedback, post here a few times.

I have spent money on an external antenna to ensure maximum signal strength and yet this issue still continues.

Here is my latest speed test done on only the Vodacom Network.

Date: NOW
Time: 08:34pm
Download: 151kbps
Upload: 186kpbs
Signal Strength: -61dbm
Location: Garsfontein, Pretoria
Card: E620
IMEI no: 357130000600456

Current Status: Gatvol!!!
My current plan if this is not resolved soon: I will order ADSL and not renew my 3G contract. :( (I do not want to, but it feels like I keep ordering a ham and cheese sarmi and VC keeps forgetting the ham!)
 
I feel your pain

Download: 151kbps
Upload: 186kpbs
.....
Current Status: Gatvol!!!

I also recorded the same bad rates a few days ago:

Download Speed: 133 kbps (16.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 219 kbps (27.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'm living in the fearry glen area, so it's not just limited to certain areas or cell towers, there is something wrong with the signal, or infrastructure, but I think vodacom "might" fix the problem soon enough, as a lot of users are experiencing the same difficulties with connections. I can't run a speed test every 5 hours or so, cause it's wasting my bundle, and I already went OOB rates last month, and that was not planned!

PS: my download speed was around 1400kbps and upload near 270kbps a week or two ago, so there is something wrong.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X