Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
if your connection is 35-40kbps then I cry for your part, as my grandmother's GPRS wap phone will kick your connection in the bud! I think you meant 40Kb/s , just make sure when you post don't do kBps, Kbps, kbps etc, it's a bit confusing to keep track of. Normally we say kb/s for download speed, and kbps for downlink rate, something like that, much easier to follow thx :P
As with my speeds I would be glad to have 23kb/s download, while VC fixes their s..... but unfortunately that 23kb/s isn't even constant, I get a lot of timeouts etc :(

What exactly are they fixing, and whats the ETA? Im in Midrand and the speed SUCKS. A friend stays in PTA, and his is also CRAP.
 
Download Speed: 1339 kbps (167.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 13 kbps (1.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Why is the upload speed so crap? And that download speed cant be right, i get 20KB/sec max on even local sites.
 
Oh that download speed is correct alright... the max i got was 212KB/s. That's only during the day anyway. In the evenings it drops down to between 12 and 20Kb/s. Last night i got 19.6Kb/s flat out.

As for the upload speed, there was a post somewhere about if the base-station gets overloaded it limits uploads to 64Kb/s on HSDPA.
 
Oh that download speed is correct alright... the max i got was 212KB/s. That's only during the day anyway. In the evenings it drops down to between 12 and 20Kb/s. Last night i got 19.6Kb/s flat out.

As for the upload speed, there was a post somewhere about if the base-station gets overloaded it limits uploads to 64Kb/s on HSDPA.

I wonder if vodahell.co.za has been registered yet? :rolleyes:
 
Download Speed: 1339 kbps (167.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 13 kbps (1.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Why is the upload speed so crap? And that download speed cant be right, i get 20KB/sec max on even local sites.

The speed is measure by your PC, so it will be right - at the time it tested. It could obviously drop straight after the test. I always keep dumeter running, so I can watch my speed while I work.

This morning I've been getting anything from 200kb/s to 1.2Mb/s downlink.

The network is not healthy at the moment. We know what's causing it and work is being done to rectify it. We should see improvements over the next few days, hopefully before the weekend.
 
For the last [approximately] 30 minutes I've been experiencing the sending but not receiving issue [both local & international] with 60MB left on my PPDB, receiving now but it is really slow, I assume it's intermittent backhaul link congestion, if it happens again I will certainly email [email protected] and have it logged as a problem.

Makes one long for the days where you could put a high voltage generator on the line, give it a few good cranks and you're line is 'clean' again!

Actually, the HT genny could still work, just need a new (human) adaptor. ;)
 
- Your area = Lonehill
- Your type of modem = Nokia 6233
- The modem's EMEI = ???
- The modem's firmware revision = ???
- apn you're on = internet

Pinging smtp.vodacom.co.za [196.11.146.148] with 500 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=1639ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=692ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=368ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=380ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=581ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=365ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=375ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=347ms TTL=252

Pinging smtp.vodacom.co.za [196.11.146.148] with 1000 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=503ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=502ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=521ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=542ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=685ms TTL=252
Request timed out.
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=502ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=619ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=518ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=523ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=502ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=531ms TTL=252

Not getting the empty connections but keep getting disconnected and my AVG virus update was going at 400 Bytes/s with nothing else active.
 
- Your area = Lonehill
- Your type of modem = Nokia 6233
- The modem's EMEI = ???
- The modem's firmware revision = ???
- apn you're on = internet

Pinging smtp.vodacom.co.za [196.11.146.148] with 500 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=1639ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=692ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=368ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=380ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=581ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=365ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=375ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=500 time=347ms TTL=252

Pinging smtp.vodacom.co.za [196.11.146.148] with 1000 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=503ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=502ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=521ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=542ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=685ms TTL=252
Request timed out.
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=502ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=619ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=518ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=523ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=502ms TTL=252
Reply from 196.11.146.148: bytes=1000 time=531ms TTL=252

Not getting the empty connections but keep getting disconnected and my AVG virus update was going at 400 Bytes/s with nothing else active.

Ditto!
 
Not getting the empty connections but keep getting disconnected and my AVG virus update was going at 400 Bytes/s with nothing else active.

Just been disconnected another 5 times since the last post. Tried to download the latest Opera from FileHippo and got about 100 Bytes per second. I have 387.01MB left on my PPDB so it's not an issue with that side. Basically the system is almost totally unusable. It seems fine at night though as I managed to download a 100Meg patch last night at about 11:30pm so it looks like a capacity issue.
 
Just been disconnected another 5 times since the last post. Tried to download the latest Opera from FileHippo and got about 100 Bytes per second. I have 387.01MB left on my PPDB so it's not an issue with that side. Basically the system is almost totally unusable. It seems fine at night though as I managed to download a 100Meg patch last night at about 11:30pm so it looks like a capacity issue.

Its especially sucky today for me too. And its pretty fast at night for me too. I noticed mine speeding up at around 11PM. I wonder if vodacom is throttling the connections to try and keep the network up?
 
Aside from getting disconnected my speed's actually been ok today. Was a bit slow since this morning but fine since then. ;)
 
Mine has come right now. Downloading at 10-20KB/s. It's not quite the 40KB/s that I get at night but at least the connection is usable.
 
Speed Test done at 17:55 on E220 ppdb

Download Speed: 1853 kbps (231.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 358 kbps (44.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Is this even possible? I've run 5 tests, and they're all returning this result...
At the same time yesterday, I was getting ~600kbps.

Did you guys do something? For the love of G*d, don't undo it!

I will keep testing to monitor the 7PM problem.

MrOoze
 
Vodacom Speed Test
Time: 6.06pm
d/load: 883kbps
u/load: 281kbps

Nice speeed!
 
Last edited:
Speed Test done at 17:55 on E220 ppdb

Download Speed: 1853 kbps (231.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 358 kbps (44.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Is this even possible? I've run 5 tests, and they're all returning this result...
At the same time yesterday, I was getting ~600kbps.

Did you guys do something? For the love of G*d, don't undo it!

I will keep testing to monitor the 7PM problem.

MrOoze

What colour is the E220 showing when you get this speed? Also, won't you PM me the number in the E220? Would like to check your profile, out of interest. Promise not to change anything!!
 
The light is that light-blue that I believe indicates HSDPA connectivity.

19:00 1681 kbps down
349 kbps up

19:30 1839 kbps down
353 kbps up

Should it be possible to get 1800+?
From my side, the only recent change I made was to convert to the Huwaei Software, as I wanted to see my signal strength.. This shouldn't have an impact, should it? (signal strength is 97%, btw)

Will PM you the number now.

MrOoze
 
how your speeds now mr oOze?

hey mr oOze

are you still getting those fantastic speeds this evening meneer?

I'm taking a frigging pounding once again this evening!!!

Your download speed is: 12.9 KBps, or 103.17 Kbps
:(:(:(:(:confused::confused:
 
hi, sandman

Last night my situation was the same as your's. Since I got home from work today, I've been running speed tests, and am STILL consistently getting these freakish speeds.

I'm scratching my head, but for once, it's with a smile on my face :D
 
Your download speed is: 12.18 KBps, or 97.45 Kbps

E220 100% signal strength in the norwood area.... I give up... oh, sentech speed test...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X