Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Google Mail', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

:(:(:(

Here goes attempt number3 :rolleyes:
 
Number three gone to the dogs as well:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Google Mail', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
 
So you believe that signal strength that varies from zero to some, is not a signal strength problem, do you not have anything better to do with your time? - also take note that I did not say it was cell breathing, I simply suggested that cell breathing might be the cause.
No I believe that it's easy to blame external causes when internal causes seem to be the problem most of the time. A signal that varies from zero to some may be a signal strength problem but one that goes from relatively good to flat zero instantly seems more like no signal for there to be any strength problem.

I know what he is experiencing since that is the same problem I get a lot and can sympathise that it is not anything on his side. It's easier to blame someone/something else.
 
No I believe that it's easy to blame external causes when internal causes seem to be the problem most of the time. A signal that varies from zero to some may be a signal strength problem but one that goes from relatively good to flat zero instantly seems more like no signal for there to be any strength problem.

I know what he is experiencing since that is the same problem I get a lot and can sympathise that it is not anything on his side. It's easier to blame someone/something else.

@ic, surely you've learned by now that prom has the real, actual, inside information on what the actual causes are in any instance.

As per usual, I lied when I reported here that these specific cases were caused by inter-failing links, and (even though I said I would not give anymore answers) I just sucked it out of my thumb.

The huge monitoring center we constructed to monitor and manage network faults is obviously no match for the monitoring and management tools that prom deployed in Dullview. :rolleyes:
 
Just offer to buy his crystal ball. You can then close your centre :D

Have (quite seriously) offered him a job in the past. We've got so much to learn from prom. Business principles, economics, engineering, systems design, process structuring, operational practices, competitive information, industry expertise, etc. The list is endless it seems.

By employing prom, we can bring back a culture of honesty (my lying will have to stop for example), we can improve service levels (no more downtime), drive down costs (higher speeds for everyone at lower costs), etc.

Maybe the forum as a whole can help convince prom to join Vodacom and sort everything out for us. I know we all will be eternally grateful. WE can get rid of most of the Vodacom staff and the forumites will get a better service at a lower cost.

A true win-win.
 
Have (quite seriously) offered him a job in the past. We've got so much to learn from prom. Business principles, economics, engineering, systems design, process structuring, operational practices, competitive information, industry expertise, etc. The list is endless it seems.

By employing prom, we can bring back a culture of honesty (my lying will have to stop for example), we can improve service levels (no more downtime), drive down costs (higher speeds for everyone at lower costs), etc.

Maybe the forum as a whole can help convince prom to join Vodacom and sort everything out for us. I know we all will be eternally grateful. WE can get rid of most of the Vodacom staff and the forumites will get a better service at a lower cost.

A true win-win.

Sarcasm... Gotta love it ;)
 
Sarcasm... Gotta love it ;)

I'm dead serious about the job offer, no jokes.

I'm old and realistic enough to know that you can always learn from others, so truely believe that prom, with all his knowledge, expertise and even clairvoyance, can add value.

This goes for anyone that believe they can add value to Vodacom in any way. Make contact with me. :)
 
Last edited:
@ic, surely you've learned by now that prom has the real, actual, inside information on what the actual causes are in any instance.

As per usual, I lied when I reported here that these specific cases were caused by inter-failing links, and (even though I said I would not give anymore answers) I just sucked it out of my thumb.

The huge monitoring center we constructed to monitor and manage network faults is obviously no match for the monitoring and management tools that prom deployed in Dullview. :rolleyes:
Perhaps you can explain to everyone how a cell "breathes" from a radius of 3km to less than 500m. This is what would need to happen with a tower which is literally in line of sight. But no as usual it's the customer and everybody else that is wrong. Always easier to blame it on somebody else. I am sick and fcking tired of this crap from Vodacom and their "representatives".
 
While this is not the appropriate place for this discussion, I would like to point one thing out to you - I was trying to offer constructive suggestions to kenironside, while your totally useless reply was simply negative and had no value other than to say that I was wrong and that you knew better, that is not the sort of post that actually helps anyone who is experiencing a problem and it's about time that you stopped posting crap like that.
No it wasn't simply negative and totally useless. Perhaps you failed to see that he didn't believe it was signal problems and I can agree with him on that. As usual you and your partner took a post and turned it into something it was not. As it turns out we were right but as I said always easier to blame someone else. :rolleyes:
 
Perhaps you can explain to everyone how a cell "breathes" from a radius of 3km to less than 500m. This is what would need to happen with a tower which is literally in line of sight. But no as usual it's the customer and everybody else that is wrong. Always easier to blame it on somebody else. I am sick and fcking tired of this crap from Vodacom and their "representatives".

Please show where I said the problems posted above by kenironside and others, at the same time, were caused by cell-breathing? :confused:

I clearly stated that, in this case, it was caused by inter-failing links.

Also please show why a cell will not shrink past 500 meters? As per usual you seem to have better information that the guys actually designing, building and deploying WCDMA networks.

500m is a pretty average size for a WCDMA cell and under heavy load can shrink down to 200 - 300 meters radius. So if you're 500m from a tower and it gets loaded (even by one remote user), you will see the effect of cell breathing.

But we obviously got it wrong (yet again), so please publish your data here that cells don't 'breathe' down to less than 500m.

I understand you're getting "sick and fcking tired of this crap", but when you know so much better, rather educate us than just swear at us. We're just not at your level.

I just phoned the person in charge of the Vodacom radio network, and as rpm and ic who have met him in the past will tell you, he is one of those true guru's in the field. But even he was stumped to hear that we had it wrong all along and these cells cannot shrink past 500 meters. Your revelation is going to save Vodacom 100's of millions as we can now drastically reduce the number of new 3G towers we were going to build.
 
What gets me, is that even after I posted that I suggested it could be related to Cell Breathing - not that it definitely was Cell Breathing - just that it could be, I still get accused of making stuff up.

@Prometheus, I think you need to start emailing Mythbusters before you post anything more here - if Mythbusters proves that any of your theories are true, then we can discuss that particular theory.

@v3g, how is Pe*** - was he at the conference? - didn't see him there this year - full name obscured to avoid conspiracy theorists calling the switchboard to get through to him.

Don't think I saw him there, was probably somewhere trying to figure out how the hell a cell got down to 200 meters in size when it clearly is not possible :rolleyes:

But the person I referred to above is actually his boss. When he starts talking his subject I normally get Pe*** to translate for me as I get lost within a few sentences. :)

One interesting thing he explained to me earlier, when I called to confirm the minimum cell size, is that just one user can shrink a cell down to such a small size. As with any subject, the more you learn about it, the more you realise how complex it can be.
 
Aha ok Pi**** :).

Nope :), but you do make a good point that there are a few people around who knows their stuff! (obviously not at stratospheric, prom level)

Actually, a chap named Shane. I do know you've met him but we normally gag him in company as he can fry brains with just a few sentences. (And I'm not joking, as I said I normally ask Pe*** to translate for me.....)
 
it turns out that the crucial piece of info was not included in the original post which is that sometimes there was full signal strength.

On the contrary, that piece of information was included in my original post:
"3G signal varies suddenly and randomly from 0 to full but changes every minute or so."

As has been noted, the symptoms did indicate [a] cell(s) coming in and out and this was confirmed by v3g although the cause was not the cells themselves.

I didn't post in order to moan, but rather to find out if there was a problem and in order for me to better understand how things work. To that end I tried to provide as much relevant information as possible. Clearly, not all of it was read.

I must say that I have felt that my post irritated at least one person and I probably won't do this again.

But thanks, v3g and others for a rational, factual explanation. And thanks ic for introducing me to the (new to me) concept of cell breathing.

Ken
 
I just phoned the person in charge of the Vodacom radio network, and as rpm and ic who have met him in the past will tell you, he is one of those true guru's in the field. But even he was stumped to hear that we had it wrong all along and these cells cannot shrink past 500 meters. Your revelation is going to save Vodacom 100's of millions as we can now drastically reduce the number of new 3G towers we were going to build.

Should never have told the engineers about this lower size-limit for WCDMA cells. They now ask me all the time for the maths so they can re-do their planning....;)
 
Ahoy, forumites

Just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing slow speeds and disconnects in Newlands, CT over the past 2 days (evenings, anyway.. dunno about the daytime)

MY Voda speed test is usually 1800d 350u.. I can only get 500d 100u when I am able to connect. Just got TF2 and am quite frustrated that I can't play :(

My speeds have been awesome for months, and I hope this is just a hiccup. Details follow:

modem: e220
software: huwaei mobile partner
ppdb with 1000mb remaining
signal strength stable at -79dBm

Thanks,
MrOoze
 
DNS Errors

Hi everyone,

Anyone getting dns lookup errors on Vodacom since yesterday? Im using a USB E220 modem on a 2gb contract and I cant even access this site. Im accessing it from work now. V3G?
 
yes I'm using my mtn sim to connect and it's working perfectly, getting timeouts and dns errors when using voda 3G also on E220 modem also 2GB package... since yesterday evening and this morning as well. some sites no problems others dns error...
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X