Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Vodacom PAYG.

I'm in Humewood PE and my HSDPA connection drops very often and when I manually reconnect often only GPRS is available.
It's been like this since 19 Dec. and worse during the day.
When I have an HSDPA connection then the DL and UL speeds are good.
 
I use Vodacom PAYG.

I'm in Humewood PE and my HSDPA connection drops very often and when I manually reconnect often only GPRS is available.
It's been like this since 19 Dec. and worse during the day.
When I have an HSDPA connection then the DL and UL speeds are good.

Have you tried setting up a 3G only profile?
 
Have you tried setting up a 3G only profile?

I'm not sure what you mean - please tell us more.

I have used this modem and SIM for some time without a problem, and as I say, when it does connect at HSDPA the speeds are very good.
 
I'm not sure what you mean - please tell us more.

I have used this modem and SIM for some time without a problem, and as I say, when it does connect at HSDPA the speeds are very good.

On the VMC software you can set up a 3G only profile so that the card will only connect to 3G/HSDPA, not GPRS/EDGE, sometimes that'll force a 3G connection when it would've otherwise reverted to GPRS.
 
On the VMC software you can set up a 3G only profile so that the card will only connect to 3G/HSDPA, not GPRS/EDGE, sometimes that'll force a 3G connection when it would've otherwise reverted to GPRS.

Thanks for that.

In my connection software I changed the radio from "3G/3.5G first" to "3G/3.5G only" and it looks good so far - I'll see how this goes and let you know.
 
Thanks for that.

In my connection software I changed the radio from "3G/3.5G first" to "3G/3.5G only" and it looks good so far - I'll see how this goes and let you know.

I've found it helps sometimes, only problem is if you're in an area with no 3G coverage it won't connect to GPRS at all, so then you'd need to change it back obviously.
 
WTF is going on! :mad:
Super high latency, no throughput or throughput freezes, server cannot be found, local and inter.
This progressively got worse from just before the festive period. :mad:
I wasted over 200MB in attempts to down a 174MB file. :mad:
 
Last edited:
I have been seeing a number of DNS issues over the last 2 days. More so yesterday than today. I can connect but am unable to resolve things (i.e. nslookup of www.google.co.za fails / times-out). My DNS server: 196.207.40.165. The first time I connected today I could not resolve anything. Disconnected/Reconnected working. So at the moment things are working.
 
In the Centurion area things has gone bad. Before today a reliable connection was possible but not easy to get. It seems like a DNS issue because I can connect but nobody answers.

Today… after quite a few attempts I’ve given up and writing this on a different connection.
 
WTF IS UP WITH VODACOM. i have been unable to connect to anything since last night. it is now 2.30pm and im getting pissed off now. im in durban on the berea.
 
The first time I connected today I could not resolve anything. Disconnected/Reconnected working. So at the moment things are working.
I tried connecting tonight at 21:45, couldn't resolve anything, but couldn't ping anything either. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting several times, tried 'internet' and 'internetvpn' APNs, tried switching to GPRS and back to 3G, but nothing seemed to help. On pre-paid and balance according to *111# is 1.6GB. Posting this on MTN.

Update: Tried again at about 23:45, still no luck. This morning it is working again.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X