Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Got a question for anyone that can answer, well two actually.

When I connect using the Vodafone Mobile Connect, it says connect to "Vodacom HSDPA "and after a few seconds, it changes to "Vodacom 3G" then it goes back to HSDPA and so forth. When I play games online, I notice alot of lag when this happens.

So my question, why is this happening, does it really change between 3G and HSDPA connections and how can I stop it from doing so that it only uses HSDPA?

And my other question is, sometimes it says "Vodacom HSUPA" instead of HSDPA. So does that mean HSUPA is running or being tested at the moment?

Thanks in advance for your replys.

When you're connection is idle, it'll switch down to 3G and will only jump back into HSDPA when needed. Try and run a background ping to keep it in HS.

Interesting that you see UPA, it is on the network but you can't activate it yet. What modem are you using?

I'm quite keen to see what UPA will do for your gaming latency when it becomes available.
 
This is really starting to get ridiculous! I'm getting Download speeds of under 10KB/s in the evenings. And its been going on for a while now, i left it be becoz i thought it might sort itself out. It hasnt.

Every time i have to wait till the early morning before the shop opens to download anything.

I'll PM you those details V3G, tomorrow morning.

EDIT: I just did a speedtest for interest sake, and this is what i get:

Download Speed: 245 kbps (30.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 324 kbps (40.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

:mad:

Sent you the PM V3G, hope you got it.
 
When you're connection is idle, it'll switch down to 3G and will only jump back into HSDPA when needed. Try and run a background ping to keep it in HS.

Interesting that you see UPA, it is on the network but you can't activate it yet. What modem are you using?

I'm quite keen to see what UPA will do for your gaming latency when it becomes available.

Thanks for the reply. I will try running a ping in the background.

When I saw the UPA, I ran a speed test to see what upload speed I got, but I had a normal 320Kb/sec upload. I did get excited seeing the UPA because I also hope it will improve my gaming latency.

At the moment thought, it is not too bad, I average at 90ms latency with peaks of 82ms and lows of 120ms on HSDPA 3.6. Which is a big improvement from 200ms on 3G. Guys with ADSL get as low as 11ms to about 60ms on 512Kb and upwards.

So VC HSPDA is not all that bad in terms of gaming although some times I get lag and a few times I bombed out of the game. But I can live with that.

I got a Huawei E727 modem. Its a cool modem.
 
Thanks for the reply. I will try running a ping in the background.

When I saw the UPA, I ran a speed test to see what upload speed I got, but I had a normal 320Kb/sec upload. I did get excited seeing the UPA because I also hope it will improve my gaming latency.

At the moment thought, it is not too bad, I average at 90ms latency with peaks of 82ms and lows of 120ms on HSDPA 3.6. Which is a big improvement from 200ms on 3G. Guys with ADSL get as low as 11ms to about 60ms on 512Kb and upwards.

So VC HSPDA is not all that bad in terms of gaming although some times I get lag and a few times I bombed out of the game. But I can live with that.

I got a Huawei E727 modem. Its a cool modem.

The E272 is even better ;)

You'll be glad you got it when 7200/2048 is available. Sonner than you might think ;)
 
The E272 is even better ;)

You'll be glad you got it when 7200/2048 is available. Sonner than you might think ;)

Sorry, was meant to say E272, was rushing to leave work. I heard 7.2 is coming sometime soon. Cant wait, hope telkom is up to scratch by then with the backend.

Any idea where I can get a ping program
 
Download Speed: 150 kbps (18.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 328 kbps (41 KB/sec transfer rate)

:) Lovely
 
Sorry, was meant to say E272, was rushing to leave work. I heard 7.2 is coming sometime soon. Cant wait, hope telkom is up to scratch by then with the backend.

Any idea where I can get a ping program

What do you want the program to do?:confused:

For the continuous ping just run it in a terminal or use a batch file.
 
I see the guys already tried to call you, but they're probably trying to call your data number......

Thanks V3G, got some feedback from Shaun. I know now whats causing the slow speeds, and why it started happening at the time i specified.

I'm not happy about it because its gonna be a long while that i will have to 'bear' with these speeds.

And i finally know now where the Cell is.

EDIT: Just did a test for interest sake:

Download Speed: 129 kbps (16.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 156 kbps (19.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

:mad: :(
 
Last edited:
friday and saturday was rather good for me, had stable speeds. Only on sunday from about 5pm till 9pm did things go bad, after which my connection stablized at a semi-decent level again.
 
Is there any problem in the midrand area at the moment? We were in barbaton the weekend and all worked fine. Now my couzin is in midrand, the card connects to the net but cannot ping any address. Just says could not resolve ip address.

Any ideas?
 
Vodacom - Please fix your DNS servers

Hi v3g

The DNS server issues are back again this evening

20:27
IP: 10.62.244.17

C:>\nslookup www.google.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 196.207.40.167

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out
20:29
IP: 10.63.28.53

Error as above

20:30 - 20:40
IP: 10.62.103.198

As above and then experienced derivatives where I could look up google, but on the whole it was impossible to surf or pop for mail. I left the connection going for a bit, but the problem persisted so I gave up and popped in my MTN SIM.

Details: internet APN, PPDB. Century City, Cape Town.

C:\>nslookup www.google.com
Server: dnscache1-cba.3g.vodacom.co.za
Address: 196.207.40.167

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.l.google.com
Addresses: 64.233.183.147
64.233.183.99
64.233.183.104
Aliases: www.google.com

C:\>nslookup www.google.com
Server: dnscache1-cba.3g.vodacom.co.za
Address: 196.207.40.167

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to dnscache1-cba.3g.vodacom.co.za timed-out

C:\>nslookup www.google.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 196.207.40.167

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.l.google.com
Addresses: 64.233.183.99
64.233.183.104
64.233.183.147
Aliases: www.google.com
 
I'm having the same problem here in PE.

The last couple of days were bad, and tonight it's just DEAD.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X