Vodacom to Telkom smooth port experience

barendict

Hi everyone.

I noticed a couple of posts regarding bad Telkom porting experiences. I have been meaning to port to Telkom from Vodacom since the Free Me packages was announced. I was hesitant due to the mentioned posts, but decided to bite the bullet. I can't be more impressed than I am at the moment. Maybe I got lucky, but I dealt with competent people all the way through. I hope my experience will balance out some of the others. Here it is:

Monday, 8 August 2016:
Phone Vodacom and request early cancellation forms for two numbers. Funnily enough, agent asks whether it is due to Telkom's Free Me packages. I say 'yes'. The forms promptly arrive via email. I was informed that my last bill will still go off via debit order at the end of the month. That evening I fill out the forms, make final payment via EFT and send back to Vodacom along with proof of payment and copy of ID. Something to note regarding this step is that I requested the numbers to go onto prepaid.

Tuesday, 9 August 2016:
Public holiday. Nothing happened.

Wednesday, 10 August 2016:
Some time late morning I receive text messages on both numbers saying they have been converted to pre paid.

Thursday, 11 August 2016:
The big day. Telkom wants three months bank statements (stamped by bank), latest payslip, proof of address and copy of ID for post paid products. I opted for month to month sim only plans, and even though they are not long term contracts, they are still post paid. I gather all required documents, stopping at the bank on my way to Telkom to get the stamped statements. On my way a thought crosses my mind. I still have an outstanding balance with Vodacom, they might use this as a reason to decline the port. So before Telkom, I go to Vodacom (all in the same mall) and settle my outstanding balance.

After that off to Telkom. There was a bit of a wait but I was helped eventually. I fill out forms and request a port in. The process is that they request it on their system and I receive an sms with a port pin. Both pins arrive promptly and they enter it on the system. Both numbers receive a message that a port was authorised and that I can cancel by replying. I receive my Telkom sim cards and is told that when the Vodacom numbers die I can insert the Telkom sims. They mention it can take a day or two.

I go home and at some point during the day I receive messages that the numbers have been ported. They are still working on the Vodacom network though. I know NST (Network Sync Time) is between 19:30 and 22:30 so I cross fingers that the port will be finalised that same evening.

At about 20:00 both numbers stop working. When I tried to make a phone call I got the message "Not registered on network", still shows strong signal though. I decide to wait an hour just to be safe. I don't want to unwittingly interrupt the process by bringing my Telkom sims online too soon. At 21:00 I change sims in both devices and switch them on. After booting, both get the same sms: "Welcome to Telkom Mobile! Your new number is **********" The new numbers in the messages is my old Vodacom numbers. I make a couple of phone calls to test and it works without a hitch. I log on to the Telkom online portal and my new(old Vodacom) numbers show alongside my LTE number.

Success!

FlashSA

Executive Member
Very cool rundown - thank you for sharing. I will be porting my prepaid Vodacom number to Telkom at the end of this month once my airtime and current data bundle are depleted :)

barendict

No problem. I'm glad you found it usefull. I hope it will help others as well. You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

biometrics

Honorary Master
After 20 years with Vodacom and having a Sony Z3 which is still awesome I may do this in December at the end of my contract.

bstarkey

So I've just been to the Telkom mobile store in City View, Durban to get a new sim and request a port from Vodacom. So far its been a pleasant and seamless experience. I was in and out in 10 minutes with my new sim, port request sent by Telkom and received confirmation by Vodacom with approval. I should be active on the Telkom network by midnight! I did get to the store earlyish (9am) so there was no Q-ing.

bstarkey

The biggest issue was cancelling prematurely with Vodacom, had to call every 2/3 days after submitting docs nd paying the balance to make sure it was done. Took them about 2 weeks to cancel and tons of frustrating phone calls with varying info depending on who you got at the call centre. So glad i'm free of vodacom..... just gotta wait for the wife's contract to come to an end, 13 months and counting...

@Flameboy ZA, yes there is an option to tick a box on the cancellation form to convert your sim to prepaid upon cancellation.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Just been to the Vincent Park Telkom store. Friendly aunty helped me. Received the sms with the pin to port, gave it to her and I was out of there in under 10min with my free microsim. While driving back to the office, Vodacom sms'ed me the "reply 1 if you did NOT request the port" sms so it looks like we are on track for tonight :)

FlashSA

Executive Member
New SMS from Vodacom stating "082xxxxxxx has been ported, if this is an error pleace call 082xxxxxxx"..... Roll on 7:30pm

bstarkey

Strange I never got the confirmation from Vodacom but as of 10pm last night I'm on Telkom, so far so good.

Joker

Expert Member
Before you port, just remember (link):
Customers who have ported in to Telkom from another network can send international SMS's but they are not yet able to receive them.
Get's very frustrating when websites/online services need to send you sms verification codes..

ngwe23

Executive Member
I wish all the Vodacom people would stay stay with Vodacom, if only just to maintaing Telkom's fabulous LTE speeds and stability.

FlashSA

Executive Member
lol, Ok then welcome. Just promise not to tell anyone how good and reasonably priced TM is. :D
I can't believe how good the voice is - I am on my phone a lot for business calls but don't manage to finish a 500mb bundle - always on wifi. I have always stuck with Vodacom because their voice here is superb, but today, Telkom has been flawless. Also, I drove across EL today and had signal all of the time without the device having to roam.

Happy so far!

CandyEvans553

When to insert telkom sim?

I ported yesterday, from voda to TM, so being a sunday i thought it might be slow.
Do i only try my telkom sim once my vodacom one has stopped working? i still have vodacom signal so i'm assuming it hasnt worked yet?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I ported yesterday, from voda to TM, so being a sunday i thought it might be slow.
Do i only try my telkom sim once my vodacom one has stopped working? i still have vodacom signal so i'm assuming it hasnt worked yet?
You should get a SMS from Vodacom saying a port has been requested. When you are unable to make calls on the Vodacom sim you can switch over to the Telkom sim. You can test it from your side by making a call to your number and checking if the call goes to the Vodacom simcard then the port is not done yet.