Vox FTTB the saviour ?

Jay_Bee_Kay

Hey Everyone,

My suburb is way too small to drive FTTH, meaning that we'd probably get Fibre once the whole of Cape Town is completed.

Yesterday, I saw an OpenServe van at our local exchange, thought to have a chat:
Guy confirmed that FTTH is not available yet, however, they just finished "piping" or whatever for business fibre and was quite fond as they just finished the job and was busy finishing his report card. Found this interesting.

Went online this morning and VOX appears to be the only place that lists my area available for FTTB but not FTTH.
Phoned in and spoke to one of their techs who confirmed they can proceed with the FTTB installation should I choose to.

Question being:
- Would you consider 3k for a 20Meg line a bit steep in comparison to FTTH pricing, is it worth it?
- Anyone have experience with VOX as an ISP or even better, their FTTB performance?

Additional Points:
- Can't get ADSL due to copper theft unfortunately :(.
- Currently sitting with a WISP (bad reception, so mega packet loss etc. not fit for gaming/streaming).

Thanks in advance.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
We have a 50 Meg line with Vox at our business. Took them over 7 months to install. They had to trench from two blocks away. We didn't have to pay for the installation, but we paying R5K a month for the phone switchboard (VOIP) and Internet.

Recallza

Given your situation, I do find R3000 for the 20MB line quite steep, given that you'll be using it for home purposes, but If you can afford the R3000 a month, I don't see why you wouldn't do it... I'm sure it beats WISP ;) I use Vox for FTTH, and I've only had great experiences with them.