VPN on PPPoE Connection

Tryn

I am hoping that someone might be able to assist me. I tried to search for a thread regarding this but could not find anything.

I am with Cool Ideas, using SADV(VUMA) infrastructure. My connection type is PPPoE.

I subscribed to Express VPN with the goal to be able to stream US Netflix / Hulu.

According to ExpressVPN, I cannot set up the VPN on my router if I am using a PPPoE connection, and Cool Ideas said that I cannot change my connection to HDCP.

Has anyone else had the same issue and were you able to sort it out somehow?

I am using a TP Link Archer C20 Router (the one Cool Ideas supplied me with)

Thank you

CrypticZA

Expert Member
How are you using the VPN? Do you want to run it straight via the router or via PC?

AsianSpaceman

Do you need the VPN set up on your router? I was able to stream US Netflix content by simply turning the VPN app on for the device i was watching (pc and/or mi box). The actual experience for me wasn't perfect though, on a 50mb download line it took some time to load the stream, but once it has the title loaded it was fine.

jasweb

VPNs always have a "performance" knock both in CPU and throughput.. If you want your whole network on VPN, you need a better router..

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
There is no reason why you can't run VPN over PPPoE, that being said if you did this means all of your traffic would route via this VPN, typically via the US/UK. A DNS proxy service would be my recommendation

ThatGuy_ZA

PPPoE definitely supports VPN (both client and servers) but your router may not be able to act as a VPN client.

Either look at a DNS proxy or it might be worth getting an Asus router that supports OpenVPN client (if you want to route all of your traffic through a VPN).