WANTED: Windows XP

Neville

Greetings all

I've got old hardware that besides the harddrive that recently failed, is still running nicely. Scanner etc still working well and no need or desire to replace any of it. I had to replace the harddrive and somehow managed to loose my original XP CD. Retailers I've called so far are not longer stocking XP. Microsoft are supporting XP until March 2014 so I have at least another year of usuage out of this hardware. Biggest loss for me will be my hi-res flatbed scanner that has no drivers for Vista onwards - it will only run on XP.

Any idea where I can purchase a valid XP license?

Cheers
Neville

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Scanner may work fine on Linux if you willing to give it a go then you dont need to waste your money on a dead OS. Download an Ubuntu live cd and test it out. Have no idea where you will be able to "purchase" XP.

JohannesPaulsen

Greetings all

I've got old hardware that besides the harddrive that recently failed, is still running nicely. Scanner etc still working well and no need or desire to replace any of it. I had to replace the harddrive and somehow managed to loose my original XP CD. Retailers I've called so far are not longer stocking XP. Microsoft are supporting XP until March 2014 so I have at least another year of usuage out of this hardware. Biggest loss for me will be my hi-res flatbed scanner that has no drivers for Vista onwards - it will only run on XP.

Any idea where I can purchase a valid XP license?

Cheers
Neville

I have Windows XP Professional Sp3 if you are still interested. I went for Windows 8 Pro about a week ago.

Avenue

Expert Member
Do you still have your serial key- then you can use any XP disk- I'm sure one of your friends will have one.

Neville

Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, available on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate, allows you to run multiple Windows environments, such as Windows XP Mode, from your Windows 7 desktop, if your PC supports hardware virtualization.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Great for people with NEW hardware just wanting to run some old XP apps. I have OLD hardware I need to keep alive. That means I don't have a gazzilion mHz super-dooper quad processer with a trillion GB's of memory to run VM's on.

Neville

You can read the installation key from the OS by using something like Magic Jellybean key finder:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Use that key for your new installation. You don't even need a fully running OS to do it. Just copy the software registry hive and load that into the key finder.

Yip, works great if you have an existing XP machine. I did not plan for my HD to fail.

riscbroker

Expert Member
Scanner may work fine on Linux if you willing to give it a go then you dont need to waste your money on a dead OS. Download an Ubuntu live cd and test it out. Have no idea where you will be able to "purchase" XP.
+1 for this idea - I'm running a Knoppix distro off a USB key on an Acer laptop that suffered a hard drive failure. It picked up all the devices including wireless mouse, wifi and 3G USB stick and keeps a persistent image of your settings and stuff.

Neville

+1 for this idea - I'm running a Knoppix distro off a USB key on an Acer laptop that suffered a hard drive failure. It picked up all the devices including wireless mouse, wifi and 3G USB stick and keeps a persistent image of your settings and stuff.

The key phrase in that post was "..may.." in "Scanner **may** work on Linux". Not a hater but this just confirms one of my all time favourite anonymous quotes: "Linux is for people who do not value their time." Thanks but no thanks.

vinodh

Expert Member
I have a valid XP Pro key. It was bought years ago but was never activated. PM me if you want it.

vinodh

Expert Member
you have to buy original cd from shop that is near to you. And dont try to download from internet because it creates problem while installing drivers.

Transportation from and to PHL airport

That's nonsense. If you download an ISO from the net and hash check it against a an MSDN version, then there is no need to buy a genuine disk. Also, drivers are freely available from the manufacturers website as well as BTS driver packs. Ideally, the restore disks would be perfect because that would include drivers and will have SLP activation. That's obviously not available in this case.