Web Squad ISP

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Not for 1 Gbps lite. It does for our 1 Gbps Standard service and our Business Fibre.. 1 Gbps lite is an initiative between ourselves and Vumatel to try and make 1 Gbps a more common product; but delivering 1 Gbps is costly, both in terms of International Capacity, as well as ensuring your service actually delivers - hence the huge price difference between Lite and Standard.

We are and will always be proud of our standard product's no FUP policy (10 Mbps - 200 Mbps - you will get what it says on the box (local and international), no limits, caps, monitoring or service shaping/).

1 Gbps Lite is an attempt at getting the best of both worlds; removing most limits you've become accustomed to. To this end, we're limiting P2P and international traffic to 200 Mbps to manage network performance; we've chosen this value because a) It's still fast enough to run multiple HD streams without fault (I run 1-2 Hulu streams and twitch at 1080p60 on a 200/200) b) almost everything is available locally anyway, so you'll get 1 Gbps on most CDN/streaming and content sites. c) this product is cheaper than our 200/200 line. So for our first FUP product, it's dead simple and english and available on our web site.
Plain and simple answers. I love it!

sand_man

Honorary Master
They have been around a while. So when are you changing to Web Squad? :D
You go first!! ;) If it passes your stress testing, it will pass mine.

Jokes aside, is there a better fibre deal currently, than that 1Gbps lite? I don't think so!! I think guys currently on 200/200 packages are going to jumping all over that shortly...

wingnut771

Honorary Master
When you get a chance, run the Wingnut test for us, will you please?!

The Wingnut Test:
1. One attempt at everything.

http://www.speedtest.net/
2. Local speedtest - auto select
3. London, first on the list.
4. New York, first on the list.

https://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
5. Bandwidth place test.

https://testmy.net/download
6. Testmy.net, manual test, 100MB.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
7. Dslreports.

http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/
8. Googlefiber speedtest

9. 100 packet mtr test to 5.39.226.191 (optional)

Untitled.png

46030546.png
Untitled.png
Untitled.png

sand_man

Honorary Master
Look pretty decent. Anything you concerned about? That MTR could be better...

here's mine... Home-connect...

mtr.PNG

Last edited:

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Look pretty decent. Anything you concerned about? That MTR could be better...

here's mine... Home-connect...

View attachment 619572
Everything working swimmingly, haven't tried to upload anything yet.
Maybe it's because I'm Durban based?

EDIT: Just tried a wetransfer file - getting about 25mbps to international. Happy with that, could be better but I don't upload much.

cantankerous

When you get a chance, run the Wingnut test for us, will you please?!

Sure (wingnut, whoever you are, crikey this is some work):

All in, pretty impressed with the results. Don't care for uploads (besides maybe wetransfer)- my Google Drive and OneDrive are very snappy though (any way to measure those?)

Speedtest.net:
Local:

London:

New York:

Bandwidthplace:
Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 09.33.10.png

TestMy:

DSL Reports:

Google Fibre:
Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 09.46.12.png

WinMTR: I'll get a PC and run this test later. On a MAC for now.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Impressive man!! Those Bandwidth place results?!! I can't get anywhere close on 1Gbps, wtf gives??!! Home-connect, Vuma Aerial, Norwood...

bandwidth place.PNG

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I think you need to include single threaded speed test on the Wingnut test full version... Have you given RD a spin yet?

EDIT: I mean, single threaded international is the acid test! It's where most networks fall over...
Bandwidth place is single
RD = winning :thumbsup:
EDIT: Wingnut test needs to all be single thread, came out before the feature.

sand_man

Honorary Master
All in, pretty impressed with the results. Don't care for uploads (besides maybe wetransfer)- my Google Drive and OneDrive are very snappy though (any way to measure those?)
On Windows 10 you can check throughput in the task manager ethernet sub section...

I've used a tool called Networx in the past which works brilliantly for monitoring traffic but unfortunately it causes issues with iTunes home sharing feature, stopped using it.

throughput.PNG

So, I drag and drop a single large file into Google Drive web application and that's what I'm getting which is perfect given my account is 1000/100....

upload.PNG

Last edited:

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Sure (wingnut, whoever you are, crikey this is some work):

Speedtest.net:
Local:

London:

New York:

Bandwidthplace:
View attachment 619632

TestMy:

DSL Reports:

Google Fibre:
View attachment 619638

WinMTR: I'll get a PC and run this test later. On a MAC for now.
I'm nobody special :)
I just like comparing apples with apples.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Well, my current activity... The cameras on the 1st screen are located 27km away at my business. It's a Windows 7 setup with DVR. I'm connected 24/7 via Teamviewer.