Web Squad ISP

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza - Not sure if it's just me by myWebSquad portal is ultra slow this morning (like took about 3 minutes to load the login page)
Assume something y'all are aware of?
@Chiller89 I was just about to post the same thing lol. Portal wont even load this end.

Morning, we picked up on this too. Devs are looking into what caused it. In the meanwhile, looking a lot better already.

JustinB

Last night I noticed that the pings to Europe (Warzone) were back(?) To ~170ms. When I posted previously they were at ~200ms...

I'm not sure if the backup routes were quicker than the normal ones... But I hope the lower ping prevails.

Meester

Am I the only one that triggers the anti-DDoS filters?

Tonight it's while I'm pulling backup data from rsync.net ;(

Meester

Question to Vumatel users: Would an add-on (IE a small extra cost per month) SLA interest you?
  • Assuming it provided you with the following:
    • Quicker access to support and escalations (We're talking from the Vuma end here) and;
    • Guaranteed Mean Time to Repair (ie, your line is repaired within a certain time frame between Monday and Saturday)
This would be a pseudo SLA (with proposed numbers that aren't far off what the FTTB providers provide). Comment below whether you would be interested in this add on and what you would be willing to pay for a service like this.
Well... there is a reason I got myself 2x lines with 2x ISPs (behind a FortiGate 61F that fails over when one link is down), and it happened that the one line (the one that terminates in my neighbour's flat) "failed" and had to be unkinked/unpinched by the installers/techies.

I'd more like pay R50-R100 more to be able to talk to a WebSquad person between 07:00-22:30 to attend to things like this anti-DDoS filter that is (at least the third time I'm reporting it) 'causing me a effective 50% *loss* in time and bandwidth ;(

Seeyou

Expert Member

Ran into it pretty much any time I forgot to put a bandwidth limit on when downloading over NNTP while I was on 1gbps. Pretty much the reason I downgraded back to 200mbps. Octotel packet loss + NNTP protocol = way too many packets for the DDoS protection. I guess so is rsync.

Meester

Ran into it pretty much any time I forgot to put a bandwidth limit on when downloading over NNTP while I was on 1gbps. Pretty much the reason I downgraded back to 200mbps. Octotel packet loss + NNTP protocol = way too many packets for the DDoS protection. I guess so is rsync.
yeah, the issue is not the the forward data stream, but the return, as the routing typically happens on a different circuit than the outgoing traffic, os the one see the big data packets, and the other the massive number of miniscule ACK.

I recall tripping the first time on it while still on 100/100 (and I was pushing data out, now it's the reverse)

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member

As with @Seeyou , I also trigger the anti-ddos on nntp connections.
If I try max out 50 connections then it triggers quickly but prior to the trigger I reach about 50MB/s.
30 connections seems like a safe number but I don't get the speed I was hoping to utilise, peaks at about 30MB/s.

Seeyou

Expert Member
If I try max out 50 connections then it triggers quickly but prior to the trigger I reach about 50MB/s.
30 connections seems like a safe number but I don't get the speed I was hoping to utilise, peaks at about 30MB/s.

Exact same scenario I had, exact same speed thresholds.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
yeah, the issue is not the the forward data stream, but the return, as the routing typically happens on a different circuit than the outgoing traffic, os the one see the big data packets, and the other the massive number of miniscule ACK.

I recall tripping the first time on it while still on 100/100 (and I was pushing data out, now it's the reverse)

Responded on your ticket. Your traffic seems to have triggered a different filter to usual - but we're working on this. Will update you as soon as we hear more from our Vendor.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Exact same scenario I had, exact same speed thresholds.

We're continuously trying to tweak these filters to ensure a good balance of protection and optimal access - which at these packet volumes, becomes a bit of an art. We're checking through logs to see what alarms are being set off and which other ones we can adjust or tweak.

Seeyou

Expert Member
We're continuously trying to tweak these filters to ensure a good balance of protection and optimal access - which at these packet volumes, becomes a bit of an art. We're checking through logs to see what alarms are being set off and which other ones we can adjust or tweak.

No longer an issue for me personally, but if you ever find a good balance, I'd be tempted to upgrade back up to 1gbps :)

FrikVirNRuk

Anyone has major packet loss as well? I'm just downloading a game on UPlay and if I don't limit my download speed to below 10MB/s then it starts dropping packets left and right?

Even at 5MB/s I still get 5-10% loss.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Anyone has major packet loss as well? I'm just downloading a game on UPlay and if I don't limit my download speed to below 10MB/s then it starts dropping packets left and right?

Even at 5MB/s I still get 5-10% loss.

Not seeing any issues here. Network and area? Any MTRs we can check?

JustinB

Last night I noticed that the pings to Europe (Warzone) were back(?) To ~170ms. When I posted previously they were at ~200ms...

I'm not sure if the backup routes were quicker than the normal ones... But I hope the lower ping prevails.
Back to >200ms

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
I havent tried hitting max speeds for a while but would be happy to assist if needed

FrikVirNRuk

Not seeing any issues here. Network and area? Any MTRs we can check?
It's weird I think it may be my router. There was something about UPlay it really didn't like, got a bunch of DoS warnings on the router that made it drop the connection every few minutes, and I think that also played a part in the packet loss.

Not really sure what to make of it to be honest.

S.Claus

Expert Member
@websquadza Thank you for the test account (loving the IPv6 support). I noticed that my packets are getting fragmented on PS5 so I ran an MTU test and it said the max packet size is 1492 (which my router is set to). I changed to another provider and the message went away.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza Thank you for the test account (loving the IPv6 support). I noticed that my packets are getting fragmented on PS5 so I ran an MTU test and it said the max packet size is 1492 (which my router is set to). I changed to another provider and the message went away.

No problem at all. Glad to see you're enjoying the IPv6! What router are you using? Your PPPoE should connect at 1480.