Weed growers thread

RezN88

Coco is considered hydro, RDWC is just another form of hydro, and if you go RDWC be prepared to buy an aqua chiller
yip - RDWC is much harder, as the coco acts as a kinda buffer, making certain variables not as crucial.
Friend of mine just set up a RWDC - 6 chillers :oops:

semaphore

Honorary Master
please expand if you can - problem is all GH and Bio are sold out.
Have you heard anything about aptus nutes from holland ?
GH and Bio not sold out, not sure where you're looking? Hydroponics and Futurama has them in stock.

Nope I've never used or heard of those nutes, purely because they are not readily available in SA. If you want synethic / powder go with Hydroponic Hortimix or Greenhouse Powder Feed (very expensive - Grow, Calcium, Hybrid, Booster - 1kg's you're looking at around 3k). Hortimix - R100 (friend uses it and swears by it). There are other nutrients that I'm aware of but they're still going through registration, some American ones. Some are good, some are pure snake oil.

biometrics

Honorary Master
No links, just seen first hand that they're not great, if they worked for you thats cool, but there are far better out there.
Well please do share where we can source it. I've only used nutrients once and it worked fine. I've had most success in ground, less so in pots with my own made up mixture. I'm keen to improve, so would love to hear what you use.

semaphore

Honorary Master
Well please do share where we can source it. I've only used nutrients once and it worked fine. I've had most success in ground, less so in pots with my own made up mixture. I'm keen to improve, so would love to hear what you use.
https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/biobizz-fish-mix/
https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/biobizz-bio-bloom/

https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/hortimix-nutrient-kit/

https://www.futurama.co.za/home-garden/cultivation/hydroponics-shop/nutrients-and-plant-care/

Up to you which you wish to run with.

semaphore

Honorary Master
1.) Get rid of the leca, there is no need for it.
2.) https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/promix-organic/ is considering a hydroponic medium (coco is inert, by that I mean it contains zero macro/microbiology life *living soil*). Which essentially means what you put in what is what you get out. There are pros and cons to this.

So for that medium you can actually go with any of those nutrients I suggested. If you go with general hydroponics you can follow the Lucas formula. If you go with bio bizz, then go with fish and bloom only, grow is used for soil based mediums where you would feed the macro life with nutrients which would essentially break down and create nitrogen fixating bacteria. Powder mix from Green house can be used in any medium you'd just need to follow the charts accoringly.

Are you pH'ing your water? What is the EC and PPM?

Squirrel73

Morning people I'm considering doing a winter grow op as my summer yields weren't to good. Does anybody know of a decent LED supplier in cape town, I'm either going to do a DWC or a airoponics setup... Any reasonable priced lighting cause takealot got crap and I can't see myself waiting a month on AliExpress
Got brand new 400W LED, never used + 600W LED, secondhand up for sale. Got brand new inline fans too. Located in Cape Town. PM me for more info

Fireblade74

Anyone grown this herb in Kempton Park, its a pain in the ass to buy from East London all the time?

RezN88

anyone have recommendations for an aircon for a small grow room ?

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Too many pages to go through. Can somebody please share a link to a nice guide for noobs. May or may not smoke it, my mom is interested in rubbing the oil on her joints (excuse the pun). Whether that works or not, she just wants to try it.

Somebody gave me this from the dry stock they carried.
View attachment 652212

I put everything knuckle-deep in a small pot with some compost of top. I kept it in a spot that would receive maximum sunlight, watered it lightly everyday, and had it covered in cling wrap for the first few days to force germination.

Two days ago I removed the cling wrap and by the end of the day two shoots appeared! These are some photos taken today.
View attachment 652208
View attachment 652202
View attachment 652206

So what now? Just let it grow for a while of course. But what is all this talk of separating sexes? I thought it just grows (who separates it when it grows wild in the bush?).

As you can see I had placed multiple seeds in one pot and now have multiple shoots. Is this bad?
Okay. One month and three weeks later:

IMG_0255.JPG

Let it grow more? Close up pics, anything need separating (and why)?:

IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0257.JPG

biometrics

Honorary Master
The tall ones on the left with the balls are males. The small one to the right with the hairy looking things looks female. The males you can kill.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
The tall ones on the left with the balls are males. The small one to the right with the hairy looking things looks female. The males you can kill.
Bloody feminazi! So just snip at the base and throw away? Can't use it for anything?

Ultimate goal is to make oil, though I have no clue how at this stage.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Bloody feminazi! So just snip at the base and throw away? Can't use it for anything?

Ultimate goal is to make oil, though I have no clue how at this stage.
Yip.

And you're going to need a lot more than that to make oil.

Best is to buy feminised seeds and prep some soil in your garden with compost around September/October and plant it then. Lots of sun is best.

Get well known brand seeds like Dutch Passion. You can get it locally, e.g. https://www.greensmokeroomseeds.com/index.php?route=product/manufacturer/info&manufacturer_id=53

It needs to be feminised and not auto. Expect to pay R600 for three seeds. You can get it cheaper but a good brand is worth it.

biometrics

Honorary Master
1.) Get rid of the leca, there is no need for it.
2.) https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/promix-organic/ is considering a hydroponic medium (coco is inert, by that I mean it contains zero macro/microbiology life *living soil*). Which essentially means what you put in what is what you get out. There are pros and cons to this.

So for that medium you can actually go with any of those nutrients I suggested. If you go with general hydroponics you can follow the Lucas formula. If you go with bio bizz, then go with fish and bloom only, grow is used for soil based mediums where you would feed the macro life with nutrients which would essentially break down and create nitrogen fixating bacteria. Powder mix from Green house can be used in any medium you'd just need to follow the charts accoringly.

Are you pH'ing your water? What is the EC and PPM?
Sorry, forgot to reply. The leca was at the bottom of my pots for drainage.

I haven't tested the water, just using municipal water.

If I go the promix organic medium in pots, which of the nutrients you mentioned would you recommend?