Weight Loss/ Gain thread Dec 2014 - 2015

My wife has gradually put on weight since we started dating. She then naturally put on a lot of weight during our first pregnancy which she could not lose. She tried every diet without much success as they all required willpower and made life miserable.

She then joined me on LCHF and lost nearly 10kg's but at a very slow rate - I had to coach her as she got upset that I lost a lot faster but she found the food awesome and we ate like kings together. She is now pregnant again so she has introduced more fruit and veg as I have not found enough solid info re LCHF while pregnant.

As soon as she gives birth she will go back onto LCHF.
Thanks very much, will show this to her as motivation.
 
Thanks very much, will show this to her as motivation.

One last tip: Initial weight loss will be sudden, but it slows down a lot. Many people, including my wife and I, lost centimetres but the scale never budged. Eventually the scale catches up as the body dumps the water which replaced the lost fat in the fat cells - called Whoosh effect.

LCHF needs to become a lifestyle and not just a diet. When low carbers go back to their old ways the weight comes piling back on very quickly - I have been there.

I am a LCHF'er for life now. I will NEVER go back to how I used to pig out on take aways and pies. Now, the food is so good and I am so satisfied after normal meals, biltong in the cupboard goes mouldy before I get a chance to snack! There really is no urge to eat junk and sweets... although the occasional dark chocolate is allowed.
 
One last tip: Initial weight loss will be sudden, but it slows down a lot. Many people, including my wife and I, lost centimetres but the scale never budged. Eventually the scale catches up as the body dumps the water which replaced the lost fat in the fat cells - called Whoosh effect.

LCHF needs to become a lifestyle and not just a diet. When low carbers go back to their old ways the weight comes piling back on very quickly - I have been there.

I am a LCHF'er for life now. I will NEVER go back to how I used to pig out on take aways and pies. Now, the food is so good and I am so satisfied after normal meals, biltong in the cupboard goes mouldy before I get a chance to snack! There really is no urge to eat junk and sweets... although the occasional dark chocolate is allowed.
Noted thank you.
 
Just a quick thing for the guys talking about their wives. There is an extra degree of complexity for women because of hormones, especially with contraceptive pills.

Some pills can interfere with the normal carb/lipid metabolic cycles. Minulette is one of them.
 
This is true yes but do you perhaps have a different diet you can suggest?
 
This is true yes but do you perhaps have a different diet you can suggest?

Let her try out LCHF/banting it may still work for her although the weight loss tends to be more gradual in women so she'll need to be patient
 
Thanks. Will keep it in mind and also mention it to her.
 
So what exactly happens to the 100g -300g of fat consumed through LCHF daily?

Is it burnt as fuel, passed out of the system or join their brothers around the belly?
 
So what exactly happens to the 100g -300g of fat consumed through LCHF daily?

Is it burnt as fuel, passed out of the system or join their brothers around the belly?

1 and 2.

Fat's converted to ketones. If ketones aren't used, they're excreted - there's no way for the body to store them.
 
3rd boxing session done for the week. This time was an afternoon class and I sweated so much that I ended up consuming about 1.5 litres of water in the one hour session! Hitting up the 9am class tomorrow morning to make my goal of 4 classes this week.
 
How is the weight losses and gains coming along. I'm down to 91kg this week. Looks like a steady 1kg a week i'm dropping, although last week i dropped 1.8kg. My pants fits a bit better as well. :D
 
Bad weekend. Two birthday parties on Saturday, one after the other. I don't have the willpower to resist the carbs at those, especially when the first one starts before lunch, and they only braai at 3... :/
 
Yes I had a really horrible week. Cheated with 90g almonds (the food tracker says it's more than 500 calories :cry:), 80g nectarine and 4 tiny pieces of biltong which I don't even like. Anyway so I'm only weighing myself again this Saturday.
 
This thread is very quiet, did everyone have a bad week? :D

I'm updating when I exercise. I'm boxing at least 3x a week, but I don't really think I've lost any weight. I'm 2 weeks in to this routine but I've maybe only lost 1kg so far - but I seem to be bouncing between 79 - 80 kg so i'm not sure if i'm actually losing any weight yet :P
 
I'm updating when I exercise. I'm boxing at least 3x a week, but I don't really think I've lost any weight. I'm 2 weeks in to this routine but I've maybe only lost 1kg so far - but I seem to be bouncing between 79 - 80 kg so i'm not sure if i'm actually losing any weight yet :P

Is boxing fun? I've been toying with starting.
 
Is boxing fun? I've been toying with starting.

I find it immensely fun and useful BUT i'm probably one of few that gets enjoyment out of it. Most balk at the idea of getting hit!

You could however just do it for fitness and never fight if you wanted to, but that kind of defeats the point for me.
 
Bad weekend. Two birthday parties on Saturday, one after the other. I don't have the willpower to resist the carbs at those, especially when the first one starts before lunch, and they only braai at 3... :/

This is something I realised with this... there's no half measures. If you want to do LCHF, do it. If you maybe going to do it, then rather don't do it at all. Also, having 1 handful of carbs, leads to more... it's a very slippery slope. I'll rather just leave it completely and do it proper like.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X