Weight Loss/ Gain thread Dec 2014 - 2015

Official weight update for the week

2015-02-06 08_33_22-weight tracker - Google Sheets.jpg

*Goal Disclaimer - Goal is not the ultimate goal. I prefer to break it down into smaller, achievable chunks. Small wins, they say ;)
 
Last edited:
Bit torn by it. It was my fault getting to that stage but thanks guys. Which is a better measurement bmi or body fat or do you use both. I never reached the body fat level required but did the bmi level.

BMI is pretty worthless unless you have a very average build.

Body fat is much more realistic.

(If I get my BMI into the "normal" range for my height, I'll have 0% body fat and probably have had an amputation)
 
It's well known that BMI is next to useless for individuals. Body fat percentage is much more useful.
 
However, I have drastically reduced my carbohydrate consumption, even without going completely low carb. I was thinking, I probably consume about 50% less sugar than last year, and compared to 2007, about 90% less sugar.

I think one of the key realisations is how much sugar normal, everyday things contain. One tends to associate it with sweets, actual sugar (like in coffee), cake and so on. But there can be a lot more sugar in so many things that one doesn't think. Liqui Fruit has (a little) more sugar than Coke, for example. Sweet Chilli sauce has a boatload of sugar, etc.
 
I think one of the key realisations is how much sugar normal, everyday things contain. One tends to associate it with sweets, actual sugar (like in coffee), cake and so on. But there can be a lot more sugar in so many things that one doesn't think. Liqui Fruit has (a little) more sugar than Coke, for example. Sweet Chilli sauce has a boatload of sugar, etc.

Yeah, I am more aware of that than I used to be, but I think the main thing I have realised is how much you eat sugary things that you don't need to, because you feel like it. I mean, sometimes it is almost out of boredom, or of the sense, "Well, it is after supper, it is 8PM, and what would go down really nice right now is some rusks with some sweet tea."

Food was often a reward for me.

When I was really overweight, I used to snack on biscuits and chocolate, even during the day at work. Last year, I would still do things like eat rusks and tea after getting home from work. Now, if I am hungry when I get home from work, I snack on nuts instead.

I do still sometimes treat myself to chocolate on weekends, but far less than I used to, and I am trying to see if I can switch to dark chocolate instead.
 
I dont understand my metabolism at the moment. Ate lots of choc peanuts after dinner last night. Snacked on ostrich and all kinds of crackers at 1am. Still dropped 300g by this morning... Maybe it was the all bran flakes that cleared me out yesterday :p
 
I dont understand my metabolism at the moment. Ate lots of choc peanuts after dinner last night. Snacked on ostrich and all kinds of crackers at 1am. Still dropped 300g by this morning... Maybe it was the all bran flakes that cleared me out yesterday :p

hang on. wait for tomorrow's weight in, and the day after ;) I've seen the things i eat have a delayed effect on my weight.
 
Want motivation on getting that six pack? Just stand in the changing room at any clothing store. The lighting in there is not kind :(
 
I weighed in at 81.5kg this morning. I've gained 2.5kg by boxing 3-5 a week. Not what I was looking for but i'll take it if it actually means I'm building muscle and losing fat. My diet hasn't been the best since my brother and his girlfriend have been visiting, but then again it also hasn't been the worst.
 
I weighed in at 81.5kg this morning. I've gained 2.5kg by boxing 3-5 a week. Not what I was looking for but i'll take it if it actually means I'm building muscle and losing fat. My diet hasn't been the best since my brother and his girlfriend have been visiting, but then again it also hasn't been the worst.
My 2 cents, don't assume, see how you look in the mirror (google built lean body fat and check the pics in the first link) or get a fat % test done with calipers or fancy body fat scale.
 
This weekend was bad. Went a bit crazy. Went to oceanbasket on sat and had a platter for one plus starters. . . I regret nothing. It was divine.
 
My 2 cents, don't assume, see how you look in the mirror (google built lean body fat and check the pics in the first link) or get a fat % test done with calipers or fancy body fat scale.

I've got a scale that does body fat % - I just need to go find the damn manual and find out how it works! How accurate is it compared to calipers though?
 
I've got a scale that does body fat % - I just need to go find the damn manual and find out how it works! How accurate is it compared to calipers though?
It depends on how experienced the person with said calipers are at measuring body fat and what method they use.

My take on the scale is that it is at least consistent. Use that to see whether you lose or gain body fat, i.e. is the percentage going up or down over time.
Use the scale in combination with being objective about how you rate compared to those photos I linked to from builtlean.

But since you doing this for your upcoming fight, so long as you are losing weight and gaining strength & cardio fitness, surely then you are meeting your objectives and happy?
 
So... for me, it's about portion control. I ate all bran flakes with milk for brekkies. For lunch 3 slices of white bread with black cat choc peanut butter. For a late afternoon snack 2 slices of white bread with black cat choc peanut butter. Dinner was grilled hake 280g with veggies CTFM half price Monday special. Grapes at 11pm. Various crackers between 5 and 8 at 2am because I couldn't sleep because I was feeling peckish. Dropped another couple of hundred grams as of this morning.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X