What access point can I use to control data usage and bandwith

MuawiyyahKhan

Hi
I want to provide free internet access at my business for my customers.
Is there an access point device that will automatically allocate a data usage cap and control bandwith to every device that connects to the wifi?

JohnStarr

Executive Member
I use the TP-Link Wireless N Router WR845N at home and it has Bandwidth Control as an option. This is obviously linked to my Frogfoot ONT. No need for me to enable this, but assuming you assign a static IP to each PC or device on your client network, you can control bandwidth this way (Egress/Ingress) with a minimum and maximum being assigned.
It doesn't do data usage though. Maybe something higher up in the product chain can.

ThatGuy_ZA

Hi
I want to provide free internet access at my business for my customers.
Is there an access point device that will automatically allocate a data usage cap and control bandwith to every device that connects to the wifi?

Have a look at the Ubiquiti Unifi range. They can do that and they're pretty easy to setup. Mikroitk is another option but it's not as easy to configure.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Separate "Guest" SSID, coupled with a set of rules governing access and bandwidth usage ---- surely no one sets up an AP with uncontrolled access to company resources?