What's for supper - Second Course

saor

Honorary Master
Curry.

It's taken me a while to finally start making curry that's really, really nice. I always struggled with the consistency and I've never bothered trying a recipe - don't enjoy cooking like that; so it's been a lot of trying different things until eventually started cooking it for much longer on a very low heat. The water cooks away, leaving a thick rich food.

There's also a person in Salt River who sells a wet masala mix - fresh garlic, ginger ground up with other ingredients. It's amazing, and so is the fresh curry powder they make.

Still room to improve, but it's getting there :).

curry.jpg

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Nothing exciting picture wise but so happy with my sirloin.

Just grabbed a rib rub I made months ago and moered it on with some salt and pepper.

No overnight salt or anything just straight from fridge to spice to pan in butter and couldn’t be happier.

Honestly ponder why I even bother with the extended salting normally.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Dries out the exterior for more of a crust, seasons the inside. Dry brining also enhances juiciness by denaturing proteins.
Don’t get me wrong I wasn’t saying I don’t know the science.

I do it all the time it was just a case of being in a hurry tonight and having forgotten about it the steak was still awesome.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Not cooking anything but I did get this for my birthday which seems thread appropriate.

My wife slipped what it was beforehand during some discussion and I initially told her to cancel it as I just don’t cook with physical books (don’t read them any more either) but I’m glad I didn’t.

It’s a little unwieldy and could double as a weapon.

cn@

Expert Member
I'm currently enjoying a 22kg lamb I purchased at R85/kg.

I've been luxuriating myself by eating meat every day since I purchased it.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Finally got some from Woolies.
Quite nice but my kids nearly died having to taste it
my kids love it. How do you cook it? I use 50% water and 50% milk on I think a 1:4 ratio with a nice amount of butter, on a very slow heat. Plenty of salt and pepper and parmesan of you have that.

kolaval

Expert Member
I used the instructions on the packet.
1 cup polenta to 4 cups water.
I did add salt.
The kids would have died regardless, ungrateful brats