What's for supper - Second Course

maumau

Honorary Master
.............. boiled in a plastic bag :sick:

Is there another way, other than plastic?

zeb

Expert Member
When it comes to red meat I prefer reverse sear to sous vide. I have an Anova but my meat thermometer gets used a lot more often. Meat goes into the oven at around 70C till the thermometer buzzes (doneness between 45C to 50C, depending on thickness) and then a good sear afterwards.
As for a regular steak. If you know how to braai/pan fry you don't need to waste time with any of the above methods. My 2c.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Is there a big difference with sous vide steak and a quick hot cast iron pan method @zeb

zeb

Expert Member
Is there a big difference with sous vide steak and a quick hot cast iron pan method @zeb
Nah, if you have a nice 2cm thick steak it will be just as good with pan searing.
Many will disagree, but sous vide is everything it's cut out to be.

zeb

Expert Member
It does make some great tasting veggies. The most delicious sweetcorn I've had was cooked sous vide with lots of butter.
Everything else can be done just as good, or better, with other cooking techniques.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Yeah each to his own

I have had sous vide chicken and fish and was damn good

SukkaFoo

In my experience it is an extremely forgiving technique. Getting a steak perfect on the braai can be an art. Getting a steak perfect sous vide is simple. I actually found that sous vide improved my braai skills, since I had a line to aim for.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
In my experience it is an extremely forgiving technique. Getting a steak perfect on the braai can be an art. Getting a steak perfect sous vide is simple. I actually found that sous vide improved my braai skills, since I had a line to aim for.
the bigger the steak the smaller the risk

cerebus

Honorary Master

Fennel roasted pork belly with gravy, stewed red cabbage and potato pancakes

APoc184

Honorary Master
Crappy pic but it's the idea that counts.

Pork neck steak, caulirice and a sticky, stringy, goo-ey cheesy, mushroom and pepper sauce.

20181218_190036-01.jpeg

cavedog

Honorary Master
Got some marinated peri peri chicken wings with pap with some creamy spinach at PnP deli counter. I must admit that tasted better than any fast food place ever. It was sooo nice wow. Budget meal and it was really good actually. I noticed that Picknpay stores in Centurion actually make a decent menu. Checkers is just :sick: Really hate Checkers. The people behind the counters treat you like you are punishing them to dish your food.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Hooters.

Wings are bit meh seeing that it is their signature dish. Ed's Diner wings are miles ahead.

Quesadillas were amazing. And their onion rings were really nice too.

akescpt

Honorary Master
Hooters.

Wings are bit meh seeing that it is their signature dish. Ed's Diner wings are miles ahead.

Quesadillas were amazing. And their onion rings were really nice too.
Love their philly cheese steak but they are closed here now.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The three basic food groups for supper... lamb, pork, and turkey

IMG_3471.jpg
IMG_3474.jpg
IMG_3477.jpg

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Depends how thick the steak is I guess.

The closest results in my book would a slow roast in the oven at low temps and then quick pan sear.

The main thing with Sous Vide is really just that the meat is the same exact consistency from the very centre to the crust.

It doesn’t have a gradient as such and you can do it consistently exactly the same every time.