What's for supper - Second Course

cerebus

Honorary Master
Sous vide......why does one want to cook food in a plastic bag ?
So that you can precisely control the level of doneness of the food and use a long cook time to break down tough cuts of meat while leaving the interior medium rare. Obviously you need to use another stage of searing to brown it.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Sous vide......why does one want to cook food in a plastic bag ?
If you have to ask then you probably don’t know what good food is.

Every steak you’ve ever had in a fine dining place that was amazing to your taste buds was more than likely sous vide cooked.

Other meats potentially too.

HunterNW

Executive Member
If you have to ask then you probably don’t know what good food is.

Every steak you’ve ever had in a fine dining place that was amazing to your taste buds was more than likely sous vide cooked.

Other meats potentially too.
Matter of opinion what good food is ? But thanks for explaining fckall.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Matter of opinion what good food is ? But thanks for explaining fckall.
It's not a matter of opinion, it's science. When you put meat on a high heat, you're searing the outside to create the Maillard reactions that give it the dark crust. But at the same time, the longer it stays on the heat to get the interior cooked, the drier the exterior becomes.

A sous vide allows you to pre-cook the interior very precisely without drying it out. Then you can use a very short sear time that doesn't make the interior grey at all.

HunterNW

Executive Member
It's not a matter of opinion, it's science. When you put meat on a high heat, you're searing the outside to create the Maillard reactions that give it the dark crust. But at the same time, the longer it stays on the heat to get the interior cooked, the drier the exterior becomes.

A sous vide allows you to pre-cook the interior very precisely without drying it out. Then you can use a very short sear time that doesn't make the interior grey at all.
Thank you.... Did google it now, seems interesting. So obvious you need that special sous vide pot to keep it at the right set temperature ? Can't use a pot of water and throw in a steak sealed in a bag ?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thank you.... Did google it now, seems interesting. So obvious you need that special sous vide pot to keep it at the right set temperature ? Can't use a pot of water and throw in a steak sealed in a bag ?
You can use a cooler box or even a normal pot if you are happy to watch it all day long.

Loads of hacks out there.

cerebus

Honorary Master
You can use a cooler box or even a normal pot if you are happy to watch it all day long.

Loads of hacks out there.
All depends on the length of the cook. A thicker cut like a chuck or brisket roast might need 72 hours, then you don't really want to chance it on a hack.

HunterNW

Executive Member
All depends on the length of the cook. A thicker cut like a chuck or brisket roast might need 72 hours, then you don't really want to chance it on a hack.
True..... but R1K for a hot water caserole is expensive.... or can you use that for something else ?

cerebus

Honorary Master
True..... but R1K for a hot water caserole is expensive.... or can you use that for something else ?
I mean, R1k is actually cheap. I'm not even sure I'd trust that machine tbh. Rather get an Anova. But yeah it can do a ton of things including vegetables, chicken, basically any kind of meat. As I said, if you have a large cheap cut like a chuck, it'll turn it into a filet mignon after 32 hours in the bath.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/ultimate-grilled-chuck-steak

Note that I have zero experience with a sous vide and I'm speaking purely off what I've read. Randhir has one so he could advise more but he's gone awol.

HunterNW

Executive Member
I mean, R1k is actually cheap. I'm not even sure I'd trust that machine tbh. Rather get an Anova. But yeah it can do a ton of things including vegetables, chicken, basically any kind of meat. As I said, if you have a large cheap cut like a chuck, it'll turn it into a filet mignon after 32 hours in the bath.

Note that I have zero experience with a sous vide and I'm speaking purely off what I've read. Randhir has one so he could advise more but he's gone awol.
I've noticed Randhir took to the hills. Will do some googling about that sous vide/slow cooker.
https://www.banggood.com/Digoo-DG-SV10-Sous-Vide-Cooker-Digital-Accurate-Temperature-ControlLED-Touch-Screen-p-1333228.html?gmcCountry=ZA&currency=ZAR&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_union&utm_content=2zou&utm_campaign=ssc-za-all&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoOHT4cqe3wIVDpPtCh3zzQqdEAQYAiABEgIT3_D_BwE&ID=523698&cur_warehouse=CN
That thing ?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Oh for sure I wouldn’t risk it on that as I also wouldn’t be watching it constantly.

But for 4 hours it can be done with reasonable results.

Peder

Hobbit

A Colleague of mine got a Annova and he is extremely happy with it. I'm green with envy...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Mmm R3.5K ? So that cheapie from Checkers, any reviews from you ?
Haven’t tried it myself but I think someone here was planning to buy it.

Interesting question though I wonder if the Severin swirls the water since someone said the Checkers one doesn’t.

Then again I’ve had success with no swirling at all.