What's for supper - Second Course

cerebus

Honorary Master
Hoping to have chickpea curry.

But eish, using uncooked chickpeas I thought I could get away with a 5 min boil then cool for a few hours in that water then cook again but this last cook is taking hours to soften up. Yeah, should soak overnight or use pressure cooker but I had neither patience nor pot. So **** knows when this chickpea curry will be ready. Rolling past hour 3 now...
How did it come out?

Had baked hake in sundried tomato pesto and panko, with roasted sweet potato and beetroot.

saor

Honorary Master
How did it come out?
Was ok, but chickpeas weren't as soft as I'd like them. Will soak overnight and try again. Might also cook then freeze in bags as an alternative to buying canned chickpeas. Creamy plain chickpeas with loads of olive oil & flaked salt :love:.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Was ok, but chickpeas weren't as soft as I'd like them. Will soak overnight and try again. Might also cook then freeze in bags as an alternative to buying canned chickpeas. Creamy plain chickpeas with loads of olive oil & flaked salt :love:.
Yeah you really need to soak dried chickpeas overnight. There's no substitute. I've done the same thing before and it never comes out soft enough, especially if you want to puree them for hummus.

saor

Honorary Master
Yeah you really need to soak dried chickpeas overnight. There's no substitute. I've done the same thing before and it never comes out soft enough, especially if you want to puree them for hummus.
How's your cooking time after an overnight soak?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Got the butcher at checkers to cut me a nice 2" thick piece of chuck so it's tacos time... in about six hours.

View attachment 574525
Halfway though the cooking now and I've added the black beans and onion to cook in the juices from the meat (which is already falling apart nicely and tastes awesome). :)

Definitely worth the [minimal] effort it took to make.

Last edited:

Sean008

Expert Member
Halfway though the cooking now and I've added the black beans and onion to cook in the juices from the meat (which is already falling apart nicely and tastes awesome). :)

Definitely worth the [minimal] effort it took to make.

What’s that salsa of sorts. Looks awesome. Is it homemade ? If so, recipe please

CT_Biker

Curry.

It's taken me a while to finally start making curry that's really, really nice. I always struggled with the consistency and I've never bothered trying a recipe - don't enjoy cooking like that; so it's been a lot of trying different things until eventually started cooking it for much longer on a very low heat. The water cooks away, leaving a thick rich food.

There's also a person in Salt River who sells a wet masala mix - fresh garlic, ginger ground up with other ingredients. It's amazing, and so is the fresh curry powder they make.

Still room to improve, but it's getting there :).

View attachment 560657
Use another onion and less oil.

I use hot water to unstick things from the pot, and to keep things from going dry. The natural oils in vegetables should be enough to prevent burning at the beginning of cooking, and it concentrates flavor.

Do not use cold or tap water, this will make the meat tough from the change in temperature in the pot. Keep a boiled kettle of water on hand and add water as you see fit.

I do not cook with oil at all, unless I am cooking Thai food.

Last edited:

cerebus

Honorary Master
Use another onion and less oil.

I use hot water to unstick things from the pot, and to keep things from going dry. The natural oils in vegetables should be enough to prevent burning at the beginning of cooking, and it concentrates flavor.

Do not use cold or tap water, this will make the meat tough from the change in temperature in the pot. Keep a boiled kettle of water on hand and add water as you see fit.

I do not cook with oil at all, unless I am cooking Thai food.
I don't understand this advice. You can't cook Indian food without oil. Indian food uses a ton of oils like ghee, especially in the initial steps when you are releasing the flavours from spices and sauteeing the onions/garlic/ginger. Trying to fry onions in water will result in under-caramelized onions, IMO.

saor

Honorary Master
I don't understand this advice. You can't cook Indian food without oil. Indian food uses a ton of oils like ghee, especially in the initial steps when you are releasing the flavours from spices and sauteeing the onions/garlic/ginger. Trying to fry onions in water will result in under-caramelized onions, IMO.
Dunno, I've also spoken to a few people who've given similar advice. Indian is a bit of an odd term, we have quite a mix of Curry styles here and it's not really surprising that some of them do it without oil. I've also for the last few years done it without any oil. Dry fry the onion and go from there.

CT_Biker

For reference when I make a curry, I end up using 5 onions to make a pot of curry for 6 people. The reason I use so many onions is because they have a high oil content(apparently) and it is also the base of the gravy, so the one thing I do not want a lot of is the taste of over caramelized onions, it is quite overpowering.

Indian cooking, much like Thai or Japanese and many other cultures styles of cooking is regional. So you could go from one area to another and the will be a vast variation on how a certain type of food is made.