Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

Luben

Not that many. Open and closed together about 45 bottles. About 6 open I think.

Rum about 15 bottles.
It'll take a while to go through them, I remember you saying that you're not a big drinker.

You're not there as yet but isn't there a law that you're not allowed to have more than 100 litres of alcohol without a liquor license of you're in the Western Cape?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
It'll take a while to go through them, I remember you saying that you're not a big drinker.

You're not there as yet but isn't there a law that you're not allowed to have more than 100 litres of alcohol without a liquor license of you're in the Western Cape?
Wouldn't know, but that isn't even remotely enforceable anyway.

Luben

Wouldn't know, but that isn't even remotely enforceable anyway.
I think it might become more of an issue if your house goes up in flames and you try to claim from insurance if you had been keeping more than 100L. Just something to consider if you are collecting more and insuring it.

Luben

What's the Fire & Cane like?
I really like it. The light peaty notes are lost to me, I'm getting too used to peat these days. The nose is typical Glenfiddich but sweeter due to the rum finish. The palate lives up to the nose and tends to build nicely as you hold it in your mouth (40% abv). You get a bit of the tropical notes....fortunately no coconut notes though.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I PERSONALLY find these NAS Big Peat blends a bit gimmicky and irrelevant to be honest.

These bottles are 90% "entry level" Bowmore, 8% Caol Ila , 1.99999999999999% Ardbeg and 0.00000000001% Port Ellen (shouldn't even be on the label).

Again this is just my own biased and cynical opinion on these specific NAS Big Peat releases.

I'd rather save up and buy the Big Peat 25yo Gold Edition or the Big Peat 26yo Platinum Editions...

phoenix99

Expert Member
I PERSONALLY find these NAS Big Peat blends a bit gimmicky and irrelevant to be honest.

These bottles are 90% "entry level" Bowmore, 8% Caol Ila , 1.99999999999999% Ardbeg and 0.00000000001% Port Ellen (shouldn't even be on the label).

Again this is just my own biased and cynical opinion on these specific NAS Big Peat releases.

I'd rather save up and buy the Big Peat 25yo Gold Edition or the Big Peat 26yo Platinum Editions...
I had the exact same bottle as Naks and I'm pretty sure you're on the money on composition. Not bad at all, but gimmicky as you said.

TBH I'm not a Caol Ila fan so that probably didn't help.

Quad

Explain what you mean by ‘irrelevant’?

I ask in the context of this being part of DL’s Regional Malts collection and also because Big Peat, and its cask strength, non chill filtered Christmas editions have been around since 2009.

Please enlighten me on its ‘irrelevance’?

axsis

I have almost finished my Big Peat Christmas 2017, I think the Big Peat Christmas is a nice release, young Islay seems to be pretty potent and at a cask strength it can be really decent value if you enjoy the style.

It is at least big and peaty as its name suggests whereas say Peat Monster isn't really. I prefer it to Laphroaig 10, and it got me to explore Ardbeg (which I find to be quite prominent in the 2017, but I have two bottles of Ardbeg 10 bottled in the same year (different months) and they taste quite a bit different so there's that...). I agree the putting of Port Ellen on the label is cheezy and I think it's basically unnecessary (ok it probably raises the price they feel they can sell it for).

Given that you can sometimes get Big Peat Christmas editions below R800 it makes it one of the most accessible cask strength whiskies around.

Standard Big Peat could very easily be argued against as it often is more or close in price to age statement Islays. Whether you should get something more expensive is debatable, I think maybe it's worth going for something like Ardbeg Corryvreckan over this, if you can get it for a good price and want a heavy hit of peaty whisky.

Last edited:

Luben

Grabbed myself another The Pogues for the weekend. SO doesn't like it much. ;)

Doesn't like their music either.
I got a bottle for my birthday, I was pleasantly surprised, I'm usually not a fan of Irish whisky. I liked almost everything about it except for the finish.