Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I would have bought these specials but I bought a Talisker 10 on WWD. I find them to be slightly similar. Honestly I think the name was quite cool but maybe they should have gone for something like 'eilean nan creagan' as the name. Either way the remarkable malts series has some interesting releases! I see they did a cask strength release of the Epicurean, the only one I haven't tried at all yet!
I'm busy ordering from MoM and this one is included:

Douglas Laing's Remarkable Regional Malts With A Twist

A 10 year old blended malt made from whiskies produced across all of Scotland whisky-making regions, created by Douglas Laing in celebration of the indie bottler's 70th anniversary.

Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt

Nose: Orange boiled sweeties, liquorice, honey on toast and a touch of driftwood.

Palate: Butterscotch, peppery peat smoke, chocolate buttons, crunchy brown sugar.

Finish: Lasting citrus sweetness balanced by sea salt.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
They do gauldrons as well don't they? I quite enjoyed that. I wasn't blown away by rock oyster.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
They do gauldrons as well don't they? I quite enjoyed that. I wasn't blown away by rock oyster.
Yep...The Gauldrons. A Campbeltown version....can only be good.

Its name is a reference to the “dark sandy coves” in Campbeltown, and, according to legend, it was here that Robert the Bruce (King of Scotland from 1306-1329), witnessed a plucky spider attempt to build a web over and over again, which he took as inspiration to keep fighting. An intricate golden spider’s web on the packaging demonstrates the importance of that ode to this brand.

Nose: Sweet cereals, with a note of iodine and sweet spices.

Palate: It's slightly coastal, with smooth peat and gentle wood spice. A touch of salted caramel is there, as is a little brown sugar and smokey barley.

Finish: Medium finish, with notes of vanilla, robust peat and sea salt.

axsis

I have a bottle of Gauldrons :) I really love it, it's quite light though compared to my only Springbank but there are some similarities. Makro Montague Gardens had a few bottles still last weekend but it's quite pricey given that you can get practically every entry-level Campbeltown at or below the price Makro is currently charging (It was about R850~). I got mine for around R760 also from Makro. The peat is very much in the background and can be hard to notice. I get a lot of grapefruit(I don't even like grapefruit meh) and it can become almost like drinking candy floss...

I want to see how the batches vary though.

Naks

Executive Member
Just saw this on the Checkers FB page:

"Don’t miss out on our #WhiskyWednesday deal! Head to your nearest #LiquorShop and get 750ml Monkey Shoulder Blended Malt Scotch Whisky for only R299.99. Valid 24 July only."

shiverz

Expert Member

"Don’t miss out on our #WhiskyWednesday deal! Head to your nearest #LiquorShop and get 750ml Monkey Shoulder Blended Malt Scotch Whisky for only R299.99. Valid 24 July only."
Will be picking this up

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I have a bottle of Gauldrons :) I really love it, it's quite light though compared to my only Springbank but there are some similarities. Makro Montague Gardens had a few bottles still last weekend but it's quite pricey given that you can get practically every entry-level Campbeltown at or below the price Makro is currently charging (It was about R850~). I got mine for around R760 also from Makro. The peat is very much in the background and can be hard to notice. I get a lot of grapefruit(I don't even like grapefruit meh) and it can become almost like drinking candy floss...

I want to see how the batches vary though.
This is exactly the issue with these kinds of blends. A lot of the times the "real thing" is available at the same price...

Glen Scotia Double Wood...Hazelburn 10yo...Kilkerran 12yo etc.

Quad

:sick:

One of the few whiskies I can honestly say that I hate.

axsis

Birthday whisky haul! Yay! Got myself the Glen Scotia Double Cask. My Fiancée got me the Port Charlotte and my work got me the Bells Special Reserve which probably isn't as bad as the usual Bells haha! It was a nice surprise to be honest heh. The miniature Laphroaig 10 is from my Father for my Birthday heh it's only 40% so will be a bit different to what we get here.

Bruichladdie glasses are very nice, Glen Scotia glasses are ok but the etching is a bit poor? Either way glasses tend to always be handy/niché to have. Hopefully can give these all a try on the weekend heh! I thought the Bruchladdich gift box was big but that Glen Scotia box takes the biscuit, it's massive!

Attachments

Luben

Birthday whisky haul! Yay! Got myself the Glen Scotia Double Cask. My Fiancée got me the Port Charlotte and my work got me the Bells Special Reserve which probably isn't as bad as the usual Bells haha! It was a nice surprise to be honest heh. The miniature Laphroaig 10 is from my Father for my Birthday heh it's only 40% so will be a bit different to what we get here.

Bruichladdie glasses are very nice, Glen Scotia glasses are ok but the etching is a bit poor? Either way glasses tend to always be handy/niché to have. Hopefully can give these all a try on the weekend heh! I thought the Bruchladdich gift box was big but that Glen Scotia box takes the biscuit, it's massive!
3 solid favourites of mine. That Bells is one of the most underrated whiskies out there. That Glen Scotia has gone up quite a bit, I used to but it for R400 from Checkers when they had the 25% off specials.

Last edited:

Quad

Bells Special Reserve is a vast improvement over the normal swill. I sometimes buy it if I see it on special. It's lovely neat.

axsis

Bells Special Reserve is a vast improvement over the normal swill. I sometimes buy it if I see it on special. It's lovely neat.
3 solid favourites of mine. That Bells is one of the most underrated whiskies out there. That Glen Scotia has gone up quite a bit, I used to but it for R400 from Checkers when they had the 25% off specials.
Tried a little tonight, a bit bitter initially but I actually quite like it. Though opinon might change, neck pours ya know x)!

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Living in the UK is great. Laphroaig 10 year old is so much cheaper here. Its my go to whiskey.

I've also developed a taste for Japanese whiskey. Suntory Toki is fantastic. Very different to Scotch whiskey but amazing.

axsis

Living in the UK is great. Laphroaig 10 year old is so much cheaper here. Its my go to whiskey.

I've also developed a taste for Japanese whiskey. Suntory Toki is fantastic. Very different to Scotch whiskey but amazing.
Laphroaig 10 in the UK is bottled at 40% and here at 43% but the difference isn't that much. My current Laphroaig 10 tastes less peaty than a 40% miniature I got from the UK. True there's always some batch variation with single malts so could be that, just a very disappointing batch it seems. I personally think Ardbeg 10 is a better product. I'd still love to try cask strength Laphroaig. I have just about 3/4 of a bottle of Laphroaig quarter cask I'll probably try to give away at some point, I just don't like it as it tastes like the stout cask of Jamesons caskmates to me.

Will keep an eye out to try the Suntory Toki if I get a chance, always nice to find something that is really different.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If you're in Cape Town you can pass that quarter cask my way

I'll let you taste some of my cask strength quarter cask. It's a different animal to the normal QC.