Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I've had 2 different distillery bottling of the 33 year old, gifted one of them to my BIL. I recently see a newsletter from Bottega selling his bottle for approx R14000 and mine for R4800.
Remember to swap those bottles next time you visit him.

I have a BenRiach 15yo Pedro Ximinez on the way....:giggle:

Luben

Remember to swap those bottles next time you visit him.

I have a BenRiach 15yo Pedro Ximinez on the way....:giggle:
I wouldn't do that, I prefer the Sherry Butt over the Hogshead. Price difference I assume is based on purely the amount of bottles that came out of the cask and hopefully not qualify of the liquid.

I love that 15 year old PX, my BIL had a bottle that got finished very fast. This Heredotus Fumosus spent some time on my shelf though.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I wouldn't do that, I prefer the Sherry Butt over the Hogshead. Price difference I assume is based on purely the amount of bottles that came out of the cask and hopefully not qualify of the liquid.

I love that 15 year old PX, my BIL had a bottle that got finished very fast. This Heredotus Fumosus spent some time on my shelf though.
Wow...those are some amazing collectables indeed. Very impressive.

powermzii

Expert Member
Must say I've always had good service from Bottleshop, but happy to go elsewhere based on your guy's input.

Luben

Another batch of Whisky being relocated. All from one of my favourite distilleries

Luben

Damn. Three bottles of px cask finish. Pass one my way
I wish I had more, at one stage I had 5 but my BIL had 3 so I gave him one (at cost). It was quite difficult to find them even when it was released, I think your were limited to 1 per person on the initial web offering.

axsis

Another batch of Whisky being relocated. All from one of my favourite distilleries
Hope the moving is going smoothly, that's a really nice lot of whisky there! Must admit I love the stuff out of the JSD (not really huge on Bains but it's growing on me), I'm a little late to the party and quite sad about that heh. Bought myself an extra Three Ships 10 single malt recently but ended up sending it as a surprise gift to my father in the UK, who probably won't value it as much as I do (he just enjoys drinking scotch) but I wanted to share one of my favourites. I really think that one, in particular, is quite underrated but also in a weird price bracket.

IMG_20190804_154118.jpg

There was some discussion about Big Peat quite a few pages back. I really quite liked the 2017 christmas edition so I picked up the cape town edition just because. The 2017 is quite briny and ashy, for me I think it's very much a maritime expression of Islay. The big peat cape town edition is briny and sweet but with an ashy bonfire finish, It's quite enjoyable but I think it has to be done in isolation especially if you aren't a huge fan of more maritime notes. The 2018 christmas edition is great imo, to me it's like a near imitation of a Lagavulin 16, I would wager this one is the most heavy on Caol Ila or at least is dominated by it but without imho being as boring as Caol Ila 12... It has this sweet palate which finishes in a nice woodfire smoke. I may be tempted to pick up another Big Peat Christmas 2018 at a good price...

IMG_20190804_213007.jpg
Decided to test myself with as blind a tasting as possible with most of my peated whiskies, at this point I had only tasted the big peat cape town at wade bales at the very end of the evening and I hadn't tasted the Longrow. My fiancée did all the pouring and labelling, I should get some friends too one of these days...By smell alone I only got the Big Peat Christmas 2018 and Ardbeg 10 mixed up and by taste I only mixed up the Port Charlotte and the Longrow. I was quite surprised at that, also since mostly for peated whiskies I still only get peat as the predominant smell. I impressed myself...Even if it is just a fun little exercise.

Afterwards, I had the Longrow with a bit of water and it was quite a different experience with a bit more of a seaspray character, so expecting it will grow on me. I was surprised at how vegetal the peat of the Port Charlotte was?

The Springbank 9 local barley may be a surprise for some of you in a fairly peated line up but it really comes across as surprisingly peaty, even tasting side by side it was still evidently peated but I am quite familiar with it now so it wasn't difficult to find, the high abv isn't evident in case you were wondering. I included Laphroaig 10 just for a laugh, sadly the e150 colour really gives it away but it is still very different more medicinal/cigar/aniseed/bandage notes...

I probably won't get many more heavily peated whiskies in the near future as I just find I'm preferring a wider range of flavours now (and I need to appease my wallet) and have these to work through for a good long period :D!

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I am also a huge peat head, but have decided to start broadening my horizens a bit.

My coming gifts will be a clear indication of that indeed.

I probably won't get many more heavily peated whiskies in the near future as I just find I'm preferring a wider range of flavours now (and I need to appease my wallet) and have these to work through for a good long period :D!
Firstly great post!!

Secondly...your peat comment sounds very familiar...;)

David101

Something different and quite unique...arrived today as the second installment of my 3 part b'day gift:

View attachment 693007
Sounds very interesting indeed!
Compass Box Affinity
A new and rather exciting idea: Compass Box Affinity is a combination of Scotch whisky and Calvados. They’ve been working on this for years and it can be seen as a successor of their Orangerie which combined whisky, spices and orange peel.

It is composed with 29.5% of Glaser’s typical Highland malt blend (Clynelish, Dailuaine and Teaninich) from casks with three different toast levels. Then there’s 20% of Craigellachie whisky finished in first-fill sherry and 13% blended Scotch from sherry butts. The remaining 37.5% is Calvados Christian Drouin (6 and 8 years of age). A limited release of 6436 bottles

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Sounds very interesting indeed!
Compass Box Affinity
A new and rather exciting idea: Compass Box Affinity is a combination of Scotch whisky and Calvados. They’ve been working on this for years and it can be seen as a successor of their Orangerie which combined whisky, spices and orange peel.

It is composed with 29.5% of Glaser’s typical Highland malt blend (Clynelish, Dailuaine and Teaninich) from casks with three different toast levels. Then there’s 20% of Craigellachie whisky finished in first-fill sherry and 13% blended Scotch from sherry butts. The remaining 37.5% is Calvados Christian Drouin (6 and 8 years of age). A limited release of 6436 bottles
I have a bottle of Christian Drouin Calvados and some of their cider in my collection as well.

Luben

Hope the moving is going smoothly, that's a really nice lot of whisky there! Must admit I love the stuff out of the JSD (not really huge on Bains but it's growing on me), I'm a little late to the party and quite sad about that heh. Bought myself an extra Three Ships 10 single malt recently but ended up sending it as a surprise gift to my father in the UK, who probably won't value it as much as I do (he just enjoys drinking scotch) but I wanted to share one of my favourites. I really think that one, in particular, is quite underrated but also in a weird price bracket.

View attachment 692757

There was some discussion about Big Peat quite a few pages back. I really quite liked the 2017 christmas edition so I picked up the cape town edition just because. The 2017 is quite briny and ashy, for me I think it's very much a maritime expression of Islay. The big peat cape town edition is briny and sweet but with an ashy bonfire finish, It's quite enjoyable but I think it has to be done in isolation especially if you aren't a huge fan of more maritime notes. The 2018 christmas edition is great imo, to me it's like a near imitation of a Lagavulin 16, I would wager this one is the most heavy on Caol Ila or at least is dominated by it but without imho being as boring as Caol Ila 12... It has this sweet palate which finishes in a nice woodfire smoke. I may be tempted to pick up another Big Peat Christmas 2018 at a good price...

View attachment 692755
Decided to test myself with as blind a tasting as possible with most of my peated whiskies, at this point I had only tasted the big peat cape town at wade bales at the very end of the evening and I hadn't tasted the Longrow. My fiancée did all the pouring and labelling, I should get some friends too one of these days...By smell alone I only got the Big Peat Christmas 2018 and Ardbeg 10 mixed up and by taste I only mixed up the Port Charlotte and the Longrow. I was quite surprised at that, also since mostly for peated whiskies I still only get peat as the predominant smell. I impressed myself...Even if it is just a fun little exercise.

Afterwards, I had the Longrow with a bit of water and it was quite a different experience with a bit more of a seaspray character, so expecting it will grow on me. I was surprised at how vegetal the peat of the Port Charlotte was?

The Springbank 9 local barley may be a surprise for some of you in a fairly peated line up but it really comes across as surprisingly peaty, even tasting side by side it was still evidently peated but I am quite familiar with it now so it wasn't difficult to find, the high abv isn't evident in case you were wondering. I included Laphroaig 10 just for a laugh, sadly the e150 colour really gives it away but it is still very different more medicinal/cigar/aniseed/bandage notes...

This is quite an in depth review..... Even more impressive is the ability to identify and isolate those characteristics as well as being able to identify the different whiskies in a blind tasting. I could taste a whisky a month apart and find different flavor profiles, love it at one time, hate it the next or vice versa. I prefer comparative tastings to figure out the differences but it gets overwhelming very fast.