Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Laphroaig 10 in the UK is bottled at 40% and here at 43% but the difference isn't that much. My current Laphroaig 10 tastes less peaty than a 40% miniature I got from the UK. True there's always some batch variation with single malts so could be that, just a very disappointing batch it seems. I personally think Ardbeg 10 is a better product. I'd still love to try cask strength Laphroaig. I have just about 3/4 of a bottle of Laphroaig quarter cask I'll probably try to give away at some point, I just don't like it as it tastes like the stout cask of Jamesons caskmates to me.

Will keep an eye out to try the Suntory Toki if I get a chance, always nice to find something that is really different.
Amazon had Laphroaig Quarter Cask on sale for the same price as 10 year old - I prefer 10 year old. I find that Quarter Cask is just so much stronger that it seems to have less taste for me.

Suntory Toki is floral. It is difficult to explain because it is so unlike other whiskies. Not smoky at all, a lot lighter than Laphroaig. No peatiness, more more floral aroma, probably more sweetness too.

I'll try Ardbeg, thanks.

Quad

Reasons to suit up for a whisky tasting.

Was great to meet you Quad.

:ROFL:

Was good to meet you, Luben. It was a good night indeed. When I get half a chance I will post some thoughts.

Anyway, just to put that pic into context, I have been a fan of Auchentoshan American Oak for some time. It seems to be a whisky with a love-it-or-hate-it status which seems to echo the opinions of the distillery in general. The evening was coming to an end when I spotted the distillery's (very empty) stand and, having never tried any of their other releases, stopped by to say hello. I tried some of the 18 year old and one other and enjoyed them both. I told the chap how the American Oak was one of my go-to NAS single malts and how much I enjoyed it. I think he was so surprised to find someone who likes their distillery that he gave me a bottle of 12 year old, much to my surprise :D.

It fitted in my jacket pocket perfectly.

Luben

:ROFL:

Was good to meet you, Luben. It was a good night indeed. When I get half a chance I will post some thoughts.

Anyway, just to put that pic into context, I have been a fan of Auchentoshan American Oak for some time. It seems to be a whisky with a love-it-or-hate-it status which seems to echo the opinions of the distillery in general. The evening was coming to an end when I spotted the distillery's (very empty) stand and, having never tried any of their other releases, stopped by to say hello. I tried some of the 18 year old and one other and enjoyed them both. I told the chap how the American Oak was one of my go-to NAS single malts and how much I enjoyed it. I think he was so surprised to find someone who likes their distillery that he gave me a bottle of 12 year old, much to my surprise :D.

It fitted in my jacket pocket perfectly.
Last year I came home with a bottle of Timoris Beastie. My BIL got 3/4 bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra(First fill) last Friday as well. The brand ambassadors do appreciate when someone takes the time to stop and chat and you are rewarded sometimes. Sometimes it's the under the counter stuff and sometimes you get a bottle, well earned there Quad.

Quad

Which was your favorite whisk(/e)y of the evening?
As far as available whiskies is concerned, the Kilchoman STR 2019 was my stand out so I bought a bottle.

Then there was this Springbank which is a blend of the dregs left over from their various bottlings. Never for sale and only normally available to taste at the distillery. Was out of this world.

There were so many good whiskies on the night. I attended the Boutiquey Whisky Co masterclass and then later in the evening was invited to attend the Ancnoc masterclass.

I must mention that this was a surprise. Copper Republic Single Grain South African whisky. Was delicious but horribly overpriced at around R650 a bottle, especially considering they are up against Bains. I told them this. Stunning bottle.

powermzii

Expert Member
I see there is a new addition in WhiskeyBrothers' collection > Port Charlotte 10yo

Anyone had this or a similar one? I haven't tried to PS range - only had the Classic laddie range and loved it

Quad

I see there is a new addition in WhiskeyBrothers' collection > Port Charlotte 10yo

Anyone had this or a similar one? I haven't tried to PS range - only had the Classic laddie range and loved it
I bought two bottles from the UK last year. They are still unopened. I then had some at TOWS last Friday, but quite late into the evening so have absolutely no recollection of how it tastes. Was probably delicious.

powermzii

Expert Member
I bought two bottles from the UK last year. They are still unopened. I then had some at TOWS last Friday, but quite late into the evening so have absolutely no recollection of how it tastes. Was probably delicious.
hahah i dont blame you. ...

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I took a bit of stock of all my closed bottles yesterday...having some shelves built next week to move it out of my cupboard.

It's a big birthday next month so I have 12 more bottles on their way as gifts, bought by my SO from Whisky Brothers, MoM and Bottega..

Lucky me!
20190731_163706.jpg

powermzii

Expert Member
I took a bit of stock of all my closed bottles yesterday...having some shelves built next week to move it out of my cupboard.

It's a big birthday next month so I have 12 more bottles on their way as gifts, bought by my SO from Whisky Brothers, MoM and Bottega..

Lucky me!
View attachment 691547
When I grow up I wanna just like you (where you whiskey collection is concerned)

Impressive haul

Luben

Lucky me!
View attachment 691547
Some good stuff in there, I've tried quite a lot of whisky and there are a few bottles in there that I haven't tried as yet.

All the best on your upcoming birthday, let us know what u get.

Luben

According to WhiskyBrother newsletter Amrut is now available locally.

R940 for the Fusion, such a great whisky.

Got a bottle of the cask strength at the show last week. 61.8abv

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
According to WhiskyBrother newsletter Amrut is now available locally.

R940 for the Fusion, such a great whisky.

Got a bottle of the cask strength at the show last week. 61.8abv

Holy crap...thats' 123 proof.

Keep the water handy...or let it sit with an ice sphere for a few minutes.

BenRiach is awesome stuff. Haven't had the Amrut. Also saw the newsletter this morning, but hastily deleted it. My kid's college fund is in serious danger...

I am also a huge peat head, but have decided to start broadening my horizens a bit.

My coming gifts will be a clear indication of that indeed.

David101

Lucky me!
View attachment 691547
The song "Smoke on the Water" comes to mind ;)

Luben

Holy crap...thats' 123 proof.

Keep the water handy...or let it sit with an ice sphere for a few minutes.

BenRiach is awesome stuff. Haven't had the Amrut. Also saw the newsletter this morning, but hastily deleted it. My kid's college fund is in serious danger...

I am also a huge peat head, but have decided to start broadening my horizens a bit.

My coming gifts will be a clear indication of that indeed.
I had the cask strength neat at TOWS last week and it went down quite nicely. It's not as good as the Fusion though but I've had a bottle of the Fusion therefore I went for this.

I'm a big fan of Benriach as well, have quite a few bottles in my collection. I've had 2 different distillery bottling of the 33 year old, gifted one of them to my BIL. I recently see a newsletter from Bottega selling his bottle for approx R14000 and mine for R4800.