Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Please provide price on this
It was R1 438.50, but that excludes shipping and duties.

I bought 5 bottles in total and shipping was R943.69 in total, with R 1085 for duties and taxes.

So I'd say about R 1900 for the bottle, if I divide the shipping and duties by 5 each...

Luben

It was R1 438.50, but that excludes shipping and duties.

I bought 5 bottles in total and shipping was R943.69 in total, with R 1085 for duties and taxes.

So I'd say about R 1900 for the bottle, if I divide the shipping and duties by 5 each...
Seems like customs only adds 15% for vat, bonus.

axsis

This is quite an in depth review..... Even more impressive is the ability to identify and isolate those characteristics as well as being able to identify the different whiskies in a blind tasting.
Thanks, it's fun to share the experience, I'm glad that my nose and palate are improving at one point I couldn't tell Glenfiddich 12 from Tullamore DEW 12, and my fiancée is much better at tasting whisky. This could have even been a fluke but either way it was really fun.

I could taste a whisky a month apart and find different flavor profiles, love it at one time, hate it the next or vice versa. I prefer comparative tastings to figure out the differences but it gets overwhelming very fast.
This is exactly why I love whisky, it's very much a journey and you do notice differences along the way, and mood certainly changes how you feel about certain whiskies. I long to get more subtleties out of these, I find that much more challenging with peated whisky, I only occasionally get a pear like note in Ardbeg 10... With this I did get overwhelmed by the peat, to such an extent I really thought I tasted a bit of classic laddie in the longrow peated!

Luben

Not sure how you reached that conclusion?

You definitely pay duties on the total % of alcohol contained in your shipment.
Simple maths
R1438.50 * 5 = R7192.50. Vat @ 15% = R1078.88

Customs are notorious for not being consistent with application of duties therefore I said bonus as it seems like you were only charged VAT. As far as being charged based upon abv, see below.
1565075300575.png

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Simple maths
R1438.50 * 5 = R7192.50. Vat @ 15% = R1078.88

Customs are notorious for not being consistent with application of duties therefore I said bonus as it seems like you were only charged VAT. As far as being charged based upon abv, see below.
View attachment 693371
I did not buy 5 of the exact same bottles at the exact same price, so that led to your confusion.

My total purchases was : R 4 533.82 on which I paid R 1 085 vat and duties...so about R 680 in VAT and about R 405 in duties and some extra hidden DHL costs.

Luben

I did not buy 5 of the exact same bottles at the exact same price.

My total purchases was : R 4 533.82 on which I paid R 1 085 vat and duties...so about R 680 in VAT and about R 405 in duties and some extra hidden DHL costs.
Ouch, not nice. Thanks for the info though, will bear that in mind for future purchase.

I placed an order earlier in the year, 5 x Glenfiddich Winter Storm @ R2800 per bottle. Shipping was R1100. Paid R2500 in Vat and DHL clearance charges, I scored here because I was only charged VAT. I'm planning on purchasing more therefore the interest, will factor in your charges in when I calculate my future purchases.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Ouch, not nice. Thanks for the info though, will bear that in mind for future purchase.

I placed an order earlier in the year, 5 x Glenfiddich Winter Storm @ R2800 per bottle. Shipping was R1100. Paid R2500 in Vat and DHL clearance charges, I scored here because I was only charged VAT. I'm planning on purchasing more therefore the interest, will factor in your charges in when I calculate my future purchases.
Do you buy from MoM and/or Whiskey Exchange?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
MoM. Have you used Whiskey Exchange, what was your experience?
I have used them once and they are on par with MoM. Some of their stuff are pricier, but then again others slightly cheaper.

I used them because they had something I really wanted and MoM doesn't stock that specific product.

But I prefer using MoM...they know me already and I get awesome service from them.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Just picked one of these in Mauritius, can't wait to taste it tonight

View attachment 693959
Have you tasted it before? It has rather disappointing reviews it seems...

Let us know.

Yamazakura Blended Bottling Note

A blended whisky from Japan's Yamazakura range, which is brought to market by Japanese company Sasanokawa Shuzo. The name itself a portmanteau of two Japanese terms 'Yama' means 'mountain' and 'Sakura' means cherry tree. If you think about it, a portmanteau is kind of like a blend but with words, so this name is rather apt for a Japanese blended whisky.

Luben

I have used them once and they are on par with MoM. Some of their stuff are pricier, but then again others slightly cheaper.

I used them because they had something I really wanted and MoM doesn't stock that specific product.

But I prefer using MoM...they know me already and I get awesome service from them.
So far I haven't found anything cheaper at Whiskey Exchange. They might be cheaper on single bottle shipping though but I plan to purchase a few bottles when I'm ready.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
So far I haven't found anything cheaper at Whiskey Exchange. They might be cheaper on single bottle shipping though but I plan to purchase a few bottles when I'm ready.
If you were in CT we could've shared some shipping costs on future purchases from MoM...