Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

Messugga

Honorary Master
Is that the thing that looks like a bullet? If so go read some reviews, I glanced over one or two and it wasn't favourable.

If you want to try bourbon look at Makers, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Sazerac, Knob Creek.
Maker's Mark (not the 46) is nice. Then there's also Blanton's, of which I'm a fan.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Maker's Mark (not the 46) is nice. Then there's also Blanton's, of which I'm a fan.
I heard the 46 is good, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Friend of mine also swears by Bulleit.

Got a bottle of the Makers 101, which I'm saving for a special occasion.

HunterNW

Executive Member
I heard the 46 is good, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Friend of mine also swears by Bulleit.

I've got the 46 - Not bad. Very strong flavoured. As for the bullet bourbon..... just bought it to try. Will have a taste tonight.

Vitriolic

I approve of all. Many say that the Glenfarclas 17 is the best out of the range. Tasted the 25 at TOWS and I loved it, the nose was more like a good EDT than whisky. Getting my wife a bottle of the 25 for her bday.
I am also a firm believe that the 17 is the best in their range. I did try the 25 at TOWS but did not find it that remarkable and certainly not worth the extra money over the 17.
I also gave the 105 a try and will definitely be getting a bottle soon.

Luben

I am also a firm believe that the 17 is the best in their range. I did try the 25 at TOWS but did not find it that remarkable and certainly not worth the extra money over the 17.
I also gave the 105 a try and will definitely be getting a bottle soon.
The decision to get the 25 over the 17 is purely based upon the wife preferring the 25. Happy wife...... :p

powermzii

Expert Member
American Barrels Bourbon .... Any opinions ?
I have it at home and this might be courted by my overall pallete on bourbon, but I don't like it much. I'll try it again sometime but it's not something I have a huge desire to have again

axsis

I quite like Bulleit but it's basically my first bourbon, I tried woodford reserve but was way too sweet for my liking. I'd recommend it to scotch drinkers though...

Edit: I'd recommend Bulleit to scotch drinkers. Woodford maybe for Glenmorangie 10 drinkers looking for a different take on sweetness.

My shelves are done...no more booze inside my cupboards.
Nice, now the cupboard can have more haha!

Last edited:

David101

Is that the thing that looks like a bullet? If so go read some reviews, I glanced over one or two and it wasn't favourable.

If you want to try bourbon look at Makers, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Sazerac, Knob Creek.
Good choice there.: Makers, Buffalo Trace
Want to get a bottle of Four Roses from Bottega Whiskey

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I quite like Bulleit but it's basically my first bourbon, I tried woodford reserve but was way too sweet for my liking. I'd recommend it to scotch drinkers though...

Nice, now the cupboard can have more haha!
I was curious so I ordered a bottle of Woodford from Makro, as I like the sweeter stuff. Also have the bulleit and I quite like it.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Good choice there.: Makers, Buffalo Trace
Want to get a bottle of Four Roses from Bottega Whiskey
Buffalo trace was my first bourbon, pretty delicious stuff! also quite cheap checkers was R250 if I remember correctly 2 months ago.

Looking for Nikka from the barrel. Which brick and mortar stores would stock it?

axsis

Buffalo trace was my first bourbon, pretty delicious stuff! also quite cheap checkers was R250 if I remember correctly 2 months ago.

Looking for Nikka from the barrel. Which brick and mortar stores would stock it?
Checkers I think still has it but it's gone way way up to R700~. Not worth it in my honest opinion, I'd rather grab Dewar's 15 in terms of fairly similar flavour profiles.

Buffalo trace is now R289~ in Makro and R299 in Checkers. Still not bad, I'll probably try it at some point soon.

I was curious so I ordered a bottle of Woodford from Makro, as I like the sweeter stuff. Also have the bulleit and I quite like it.
Haha I'm just not a fan sadly...I've edited my post so it's less confusing...

Snyper564

Expert Member
Checkers I think still has it but it's gone way way up to R700~. Not worth it in my honest opinion, I'd rather grab Dewar's 15 in terms of fairly similar flavour profiles.

Buffalo trace is now R289~ in Makro and R299 in Checkers. Still not bad, I'll probably try it at some point soon.

Haha I'm just not a fan sadly...
Thanks!

Quad

I've seen it at Makro and WhiskyBrother.