Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Haha I'm just not a fan sadly...I've edited my post so it's less confusing...
I see, thanks for clarifying- I sort of got what you meant initially (Woodford being too sweet?). I still like the sweeter stuff though so I'm keen to pick the bottle up tonight.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I think there are a couple of fans on here. Not a bad price for a single malt and you probably won't feel bad about treating it as a daily driver.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I think there are a couple of fans on here. Not a bad price for a single malt and you probably won't feel bad about treating it as a daily driver.
@morkhans is being very PC...if you like real single malts, don't drink this swill.

Not even triple distilling this like the Irish do, could hide the bad use of oak and the sickly sweet, but very thin flavors of this stuff.

Rather save up R300 per month for the next 2 months and buy something good.

Quad

@morkhans is being very PC...if you like real single malts, don't drink this swill.

Not even triple distilling this like the Irish do, could hide the bad use of oak and the sickly sweet, but very thin flavors of this stuff.

Rather save up R300 per month for the next 2 months and buy something good.
You cut me deep :(

I like it. Finished about 6 bottles ...
At least I'm not the only fan. We should start a club.

HunterNW

Executive Member
Not like you are the distiller...:D

It's all subjective, mate....my opinion shouldn't matter or influence anybody and I'm sure it does not anyway.;)
I for one have taken opinions here to heart. I know for sure you are a whisky expert.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
If you watch Horst's review of Bains he was a little mean in my opinion, especially his comment about not being able to visit the distillery. So this may be a nice way of clearing the air?

I'm glad Andy was able to do such an in depth interview with them (even if Horst couldn't make it). Was really comprehensive and I learned quite a bit from it.
I discussed this interview with Andy at the distillery the other day...and I must say his comments were very interesting to say the least.:oops:

HunterNW

Executive Member
Although I'm flattered, I think that guys like @morkhans , @Luben , @Quad etc know way, way more than I do...
No flattering. That i keep for the ladies. Back to that American Oak - I compared it to a Balvenie 12 Year old (Which is also finished now). I enjoyed the American Oak much more. I think at times people 'think' because it's expensive, it must be better. Like Chivas 12 Year old... That stuff is just schit.

Luben

No flattering. That i keep for the ladies. Back to that American Oak - I compared it to a Balvenie 12 Year old (Which is also finished now). I enjoyed the American Oak much more. I think at times people 'think' because it's expensive, it must be better. Like Chivas 12 Year old... That stuff is just schit.
As with most things, you pay for what you get...with a few exceptions punching above their weight class(price). Personally I'm not a fan of triple distilled whisky(with certain exceptions), people may refer to it as smooth but I think they lack character/flavour. I prefer whisky with a bit of oomph, therein lies MightQuin's comment that a person that enjoys a single malt(more character) would most likely not enjoy the American Oak(triple distilled). The Chivas would sit between the other whisky in your post.....the Chivas being a blended malt. I personally quite like the 12 but I'm not a fan of the 18, you should try the Extra though as it's finished in Olorosso casks.

I may have said this before, we need to understand that your entry level whiskies are created to appeal to a wider group of people, it's less offensive but offers less character as to not offend. Once you start looking at the more robust whisky then you will finding much more character variations and varying opinions, these are more likely older with lesser volume produced therefore more expensive.

Luben

Although I'm flattered, I think that guys like @morkhans , @Luben , @Quad etc know way, way more than I do... @axsis as well.....
At the risk of sounding like we need to get a room, I agree with a lot of your opinions and I'm glad for your input. The group is for all whisky lovers and everyone should be open to express their opinion and I'm glad to find another forum to engage with others that also enjoy it.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Yes thanks to all of you for your valuable inputs I now have a nice small collection of whiskeys! and the problem of wanting more.... :p