Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Some recent bottle kills. Reducing the amount of open bottles.

Some very nice peaty stuff there, especially that BenRiach and the Bowmore 15yo.

I recently very nearly bought that exact same Glen Moray on Horst Leuning's recommendation...but had to do some budget adjustments.

How is that Glenfiddich with the rum cask finish?

I am a huge rum fan and collector, so am always very interested in Whiskys with rum influence.

Luben

Some very nice peaty stuff there, especially that BenRiach and the Bowmore 15yo.

I recently very nearly bought that exact same Glen Moray on Horst Leuning's recommendation...but had to do some budget adjustments.

How is that Glenfiddich with the rum cask finish?

I am a huge rum fan and collector, so am always very interested in Whiskys with rum influence.
The Glenfiddich undertones are there in the Fire and Cane but add in the soft peat underneath it all and it brings out another dimension to the whisky. The rum cask adds the right amount of sweet to match the peat. Maybe when I hear rum I think tropical so maybe it's just me but I get some nice sharp sweet flavors in there, like pineapple sharpness. I had some Glenfiddich 21(also rum cask) on Sunday, they are so different but great in their own way.

I'm trying to think of other rum cask whiskies, off hand I can only think of the Balvenie. What others are there? Possibly a Kilchoman?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I'm trying to think of other rum cask whiskies, off hand I can only think of the Balvenie. What others are there? Possibly a Kilchoman?
Most recently I bought the Glen Scotia Campbeltown Malts Festival 2019 Rum Cask Finish - 2003 Vintage (Peated).

The Balvenie Carribean Cask is, as you mentioned, well known, but don't forget the Teeling Small Batch, as well as the Tullamore D.E.W. XO Carribean Rum Cask Finish.

I would love to get my hands on the Benriach 22yo Dark Rum Cask Finish, but that price makes me remove it from my MoM basket every time...

I also just heard the Smokehead is releasing a 43% ABV "Rum Riot", matured in Caribbean Rum Casks, sometime in October this year. Something to keep an eye out for indeed.

Last edited:

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
I would love to get my hands on the Benriach 22yo Dark Rum Cask Finish, but that price make me remove it from my MoM basket every time...
Only 2 left, I would buy one for myself if it were my birthday one of these days...

Vitriolic

Oh man, I am glad I came across this thread <3
I am a huge whiskey fan myself. I'll post a picture of my small collection this weekend.

In the meantime, I am doing some research of the SA whisky market to help construct a business plan of sorts. I would really appreciate it if you could respond. Survey Linky

KantSnyer

I am a huge whiskey fan myself. I'll post a picture of my small collection this weekend.

In the meantime, I am doing some research of the SA whisky market to help construct a business plan of sorts. I would really appreciate it if you could respond. Survey Linky
Welcome! Survey done.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

Welcome. I did the survey.

Maybe include CT as part of your "General Area" and also have multiple answer options to a single question?

Vitriolic

Thank you very much for your feedback! Originally the survey started out as a JHB only thing as that is where I am interested in setting up shop. For the timebeing, I'll leave the general area as other for everyone. It is mostly everyone's consumption and appetite for price that I am interested in.

On a side note, Glendalough on special on Onedayonly. Tried them at TOWS and for those price points would certainly recommend them as an easy drinking Irish.

powermzii

Expert Member
Weekend away in the vaal and brought these 2. Almost polished the Naked Grouse, really enjoyed it, easy drinking blend that doesn't try too hard.

The Oban was interesting, much more complex and serious than the grouse... I like it but it's not something I can just pick up and drink after a day at work. Have to be in a specific mood to have it and enjoy it

Will go looking for another bottle later perhaps if I don't end up switching to wine

Luben

My personal collection at the moment. Not pictured is Benriach Birnie Moss.
I approve of all. Many say that the Glenfarclas 17 is the best out of the range. Tasted the 25 at TOWS and I loved it, the nose was more like a good EDT than whisky. Getting my wife a bottle of the 25 for her bday.

Naks

Expert Member
Have you tasted it before? It has rather disappointing reviews it seems...

Let us know.

Yamazakura Blended Bottling Note

A blended whisky from Japan's Yamazakura range, which is brought to market by Japanese company Sasanokawa Shuzo. The name itself a portmanteau of two Japanese terms 'Yama' means 'mountain' and 'Sakura' means cherry tree. If you think about it, a portmanteau is kind of like a blend but with words, so this name is rather apt for a Japanese blended whisky.

yeah, pretty average if you ask me - there isn't really any defining characteristics to it other than the typical 'floral' aromas in most Japanese whiskeys.

I would save my money for something else.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Finally managed to snag my first "travellers whisky" picked up a JW Island Green in Paris duty free. Didn't have time to look at anything else super tight connection. Will do that next time though :) Super tasty :)

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I took a bit of stock of all my closed bottles yesterday...having some shelves built next week to move it out of my cupboard.

It's a big birthday next month so I have 12 more bottles on their way as gifts, bought by my SO from Whisky Brothers, MoM and Bottega..

Lucky me!
View attachment 691547

@MightyQuin Allthough it's a whisky thread, mind posting pics of your Rum collection ?
Most of it is in that top row. I added a Ron Zacapa Edicion Negra 1L recently that's not on there.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
American Barrels Bourbon .... Any opinions ?
Is that the thing that looks like a bullet? If so go read some reviews, I glanced over one or two and it wasn't favourable.

If you want to try bourbon look at Makers, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Sazerac, Knob Creek.