Who needs a TV licence

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Who needs a TV licence

Many South Africans are unhappy about the fact that they are expected to pay for a TV licence even if they don’t watch SABC programming.

However, if you are caught with a television but without a TV licence, you can face fines or other penalties.

daveza

Honorary Master
As mentioned ad nauseum on this forum, a TV licence is not for any service provided by the SABC. It is a licence to own a TV tuner.
I understand that, but what has owning a tv tuner got to do with SABC ?

On what basis do I have to pay someone a yearly fee for equipment I paid for and who gives me nothing in return.

I want to know how they justify this.

It's as absurd as Vodacom sending me an invoice because I have a cellphone that could pick up their signal.

SpliceGold

As mentioned ad nauseum on this forum, a TV licence is not for any service provided by the SABC. It is a licence to own a TV tuner.
That is correct! If you do not want to pay for it you will need to fill out a form stating that you are not using the built in tuner. You will then need to pay around R400 if I am not mistaken for a representative to come and remove the tuner or what ever its called. You will be responsible for the call out fee. Then every year they will have to come and check if you not using it all at your own cost again. Works out cheaper to just pay for the rubbish. I have not watched that crap in over 12 years.

Lupus

Honorary Master
That is correct! If you do not want to pay for it you will need to fill out a form stating that you are not using the built in tuner. You will then need to pay around R400 if I am not mistaken for a representative to come and remove the tuner or what ever its called. You will be responsible for the call out fee. Then every year they will have to come and check if you not using it all at your own cost again. Works out cheaper to just pay for the rubbish. I have not watched that crap in over 12 years.
Nope you don't have to pay every year for them to come around. It's generally a once off fee.

Trilkop

Why not just have a once off price that is attached to a new TV? The current model sure ain't working.
Yeah, good idea...

10 year advance payment on each Television set.

Thus R265 X 12 = R3,180 a year = R31,800 once-off fee for every TV set you buy.

Will that work for you?

gamer16

Executive Member
I think it works out cheaper to just avoid them all together, don't pay, just go on with you life.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I understand that, but what has owning a tv tuner got to do with SABC ?

On what basis do I have to pay someone a yearly fee for equipment I paid for and who gives me nothing in return.

I want to know how they justify this.
You won't get any disagreement from me. Personally I think there's no place in today's world for a publicly funded broadcaster, but a lot of people disagree and will defend the TV licence.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
I'm kind of annoyed that they stopped sending me sms bills.
The last time I remember I owed them something like R8.5K.
I really wanted to celebrate when I break through R10K.