Why Google's Android is a winning formula

Cat011

I will be hard pressed to go for an Android phone rather than another iPhone

I think you meant "Hard pressed NOT to go for an Android phone"

Pyro

Expert Member
Odd how similar that is to me... except in 8 months, I will probably be going for another Android Phone ;)

That is, unless I am happy with what Microsoft brings to the market. I'm more likely to develop for WM7 than Android, but I don't know if they'll be on the market by year-end in South Africa.

Also - being the first of a massively redesigned system, the first generation WM7 phones would probably dissapoint.

TimTDP

Expert Member
what has everyone got against Windows mobile?
I have an HTC HD2 running Windows mobile.
My PC OS is Windows 7
My e-mail client is Mozilla's Thunderbird.
Everything syncs perfectly. Address books, calendars. This very important to me.

With Andriod, so I understand, you use google mail / address book so now have to change to that. I don't want to!

Anyway, how many of all these extra "features" & "apps" does the actual user really use? It is a phone / communicator! Get on and do some real work rather than play. Sureley there is more to life than playing with your smartphone all day?

Raphael123

Expert Member
Back to the topic on the Android O.S would the better phone be the Samsung Galaxy Spica of the HTC Desire? Both are great phones.

DailyTech

The new WM7 will NOT be compatible with any older software. It is completely new.
YOU will have to pay for the new stuff.
Same as IE9 will not work on XP, and the newer hard drives (by end of 2010/early 2011) will also not work with XP.

Microsoft and hardware vendors colluding ??? :)

t123

My PC OS is Windows 7
My e-mail client is Mozilla's Thunderbird.
Everything syncs perfectly. Address books, calendars. This very important to me.

My Android phone syncs with Exchange Server (contacts, calendar and mail). Don't know if all Android phones can do this though.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
It's definitely interesting to have this kinda choice - however as usual, I suspect the new WM7/Android phones will be priced right out of my reach when it comes time to renew my contract (august). That means either an older Android device or the iPhone really since I already have a Blackberry for work.

news24

Expert Member
The problem with Android is that you have too many vendors running different versions, and it is a pain in the a$s to upgrade to the latest release version. This is where Android fails against iPhone, whenever Apple releases an upgrade, its a global upgrade.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Android will beat the iPhone for the same reason the PC beat the Mac. With the PC vs Mac wars Apple lost the Attack of the Clones, just as it is going to lose in Revenge of the Droids.

People want something that can run what they want on what they want.

news24

Expert Member
Android will beat the iPhone for the same reason the PC beat the Mac. With the PC vs Mac wars Apple lost the Attack of the Clones, just as it is going to lose in Revenge of the Droids.

People want something that can run what they want on what they want.

No you are wrong. Smartphones are not like computers. You cannot install a GPU of your choice, upgrade internal storage, add RAM modules etc.

PC v/s MAC
PC Apps>>MAC Apps
PC Accessories>>MAC Accessories

iPhone v/s Android
iPhone Apps>>Android Apps
iPhone Accesories>>Android Accesories
iPhone=A tested Gaming Platform>>Android=???

Poor Apple, with less than 8% Global Market share they are still able to make 53% of what Microsoft makes in revenue, 28% in Profits
Rank Company Country Industry Sales ($bil) Profits ($bil) Assets ($bil) Market Value ($bil)

49 Microsoft United States Software & Services 61.98 17.23 65.79 143.58

113 Apple United States Technology 33.04 4.86 42.79 79.54
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/18/global-09_The-Global-2000_MktVal.html

Last edited:

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
apple: you need to have a mac to develop apps for it. all apps have to be approved by apple.
win7: only allows proprietary code. issues around oss support - hence firefox on mobile being canned. no local app store. requires windows dev environment. legacy support issues.
rim: lack of local support for app store (need a paypal account to sign up), signing fees high.
symbian: too many devices and formats to support, but a wide codebase and local store is available.
android: cheap to signup and deploy. code can be written on any platform using a familiar ide (eclipse on mac, windows, linux)

i don't see the hype or payoff on iphone, win or rim from a local dev point of view to be honest.

news24

Expert Member
apple: you need to have a mac to develop apps for it. all apps have to be approved by apple.
win7: only allows proprietary code. issues around oss support - hence firefox on mobile being canned. no local app store. requires windows dev environment. legacy support issues.
rim: lack of local support for app store (need a paypal account to sign up), signing fees high.
symbian: too many devices and formats to support, but a wide codebase and local store is available.
android: cheap to signup and deploy. code can be written on any platform using a familiar ide (eclipse on mac, windows, linux)

i don't see the hype or payoff on iphone, win or rim from a local dev point of view to be honest.

If you are in business and cannot afford a Mac then you should probably quit. How many start-up companies are out there to develop for iPhone vs Android? Even some Academic institutions in US support and edge their students to get an iPod Touch. Apple have a winning formula, that's why all software vendors are moving to centralize their app stores, apple revolutionized Touch Screen Phones, now all vendors have joined the wagon and are making touch screen phones. It is still feasible to brag about iPhone whether 2G, 3G or 3GS, can you do the same with Samsung Omnia, HTC Magic, Nokia 5800 Express???? No because the manufactures have long forgot about them and churning out other models.

bekdik

Honorary Master
The problem with Android is that you have too many vendors running different versions, and it is a pain in the a$s to upgrade to the latest release version. This is where Android fails against iPhone, whenever Apple releases an upgrade, its a global upgrade.

Microsoft are fixing the (minimum?) hardware spec in order to ensure that apps work accross all models.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
If you are in business and cannot afford a Mac then you should probably quit. How many start-up companies are out there to develop for iPhone vs Android? Even some Academic institutions in US support and edge their students to get an iPod Touch. Apple have a winning formula, that's why all software vendors are moving to centralize their app stores, apple revolutionized Touch Screen Phones, now all vendors have joined the wagon and are making touch screen phones. It is still feasible to brag about iPhone whether 2G, 3G or 3GS, can you do the same with Samsung Omnia, HTC Magic, Nokia 5800 Express???? No because the manufactures have long forgot about them and churning out other models.

Thats not really a point. Apple revolutionized the PC market with their early macs... and lost it. Why? Because of their propriety only run on Mac losing formula. Bill Gates took it with an OS that could run on more hardware (ie IBMs). This will just be history repeating itself.

FYI.. as far as I am concerned (and by recent polls... a majority of this forum) most people think the Google Nexus One (Android) is cooler and more wanted than the iPhone.

news24

Expert Member
Take a look

attachment.php

MOTO Development Labs devised a simple method of analyzing capacitive touch screens using drawing programs. They put the iPhone, the Nexus One, the Droid, and the Droid Eris through the paces and proved not all touch screens are created equal.

Using only your fingers and a drawing app, MOTO shows how you can test out the accuracy of your smartphone's touch screen. The test is simple: draw some slow, steady lines across the screen with your finger. If they're smooth and straight, your touch screen is tracking with relative accuracy. If they're wavy or jagged, your phone might not be giving your fingers the attention they deserve.

MOTO's test showed the iPhone tracking the most accurately of the four, with smooth, straight lines. The Motorola Droid fared worst of the bunch, its crossing lines tracking so jaggedly that the screen looked like a jigsaw puzzle. The Eris and the Nexus One landed somewhere in between.

If jagged lines are the symptoms of a subpar touch screen, MOTO suggests that the affliction can be any combination of too large a sensor, too low a touch-sampling rate, or too inaccurate an algorithm
Gizmodo

iPhone Rocks :D

news24

Expert Member
Microsoft are fixing the (minimum?) hardware spec in order to ensure that apps work accross all models.

I think WM 7 is going to be even bigger than Android, because your going to have the same experience across different models, with centralized updates, much more like what they are doing with PC Operating Systems. Although some of us would like to think that we are much smarter than Microsoft R&D team, they also realized that they have to do things the Apple way and instill tighter controls over applications.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
I think WM 7 is going to be even bigger than Android, because your going to have the same experience across different models, with centralized updates, much more like what they are doing with PC Operating Systems. Although some of us would like to think that we are much smarter than Microsoft R&D team, they also realized that they have to do things the Apple way and instill tighter controls over applications.
lol. Thanks. I dont think WM will be bigger than Android but each to their own.