Why I love Linux

reneg8or

Do I love Linux because it is free?

No.

So why do I love it so much?

Because Linux liberates me; it gives me freedom!

mwill

Too many people still have the idea that Linux is 'difficult'.

Linux has been improving to the point where, if a child is started on both OS's it will be able to use both of them equally easily.

It really is a no brainer for anyone prepared to put in a bit of time. The increased freedom and diversity with Linux, plus it doesn't cost a cent, makes 'free software' the way of the future.

My distribution of choice is PCLinuxOS, but 'Distrowatch.com' will show the top 100 distros and their rankings.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
All modern OS take the same effort to learn so use the one that is going to work the best for you.

I love Linux for various reasons but the most important being that I find it the most productive for what I need.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Too many people still have the idea that Linux is 'difficult'.

Linux has been improving to the point where, if a child is started on both OS's it will be able to use both of them equally easily.

It really is a no brainer for anyone prepared to put in a bit of time. The increased freedom and diversity with Linux, plus it doesn't cost a cent, makes 'free software' the way of the future.

My distribution of choice is PCLinuxOS, but 'Distrowatch.com' will show the top 100 distros and their rankings.
All modern OS take the same effort to learn so use the one that is going to work the best for you.

I love Linux for various reasons but the most important being that I find it the most productive for what I need.
Erm, BS!!!

Linux is dam difficult esp when compared to say Windows or OS X, and I am typing this on Ubuntu running E17 with at least 15 years of Linux XP behind my back. Yes it gives your freedom to tinker where no other does, its also faster and more stable once its up and running, but in no way is it easier.

Not once do I need to open command line in windows to get Dual monitor set-up with Nvidia FX and diffrent sized monitors nevermind other hardware issues like say getting Linux based Android to connect to my Linux PC via MTP(Yes I know Microsoft Transport Layer is made for Linux).

What I am saying is that its still pretty much a Microsoft world, both in software and in hardware and untill that change Linux will never be as easy to use as Windows.

cpu.

Expert Member
The best thing about Linux is that you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Erm, BS!!!

Linux is dam difficult esp when compared to say Windows or OS X, and I am typing this on Ubuntu running E17 with at least 15 years of Linux XP behind my back. Yes it gives your freedom to tinker where no other does, its also faster and more stable once its up and running, but in no way is it easier.

Not once do I need to open command line in windows to get Dual monitor set-up with Nvidia FX and diffrent sized monitors nevermind other hardware issues like say getting Linux based Android to connect to my Linux PC via MTP(Yes I know Microsoft Transport Layer is made for Linux).

What I am saying is that its still pretty much a Microsoft world, both in software and in hardware and untill that change Linux will never be as easy to use as Windows.
Go and try osx and then then tell me all of that is so much easier. The only thing that would be easier is the dual monitor bit.
Windows is still more productive in my opinion but desktop linux isnt what it was a few years back. Its still exactly the same server wise but im guessing that is where you have your most experience.

reneg8or

Some very interesting responses. AlphaJohn, you are so right in saying that it is difficult. At the same time, it has been adventure for me especially over the past 3 years. I also am of the opinion that productivity is the most important and there the average user may prefer Windows. However, the latter also nowadays require some learning curve and therefore it makes sense to start looking at alternatives. Lazy butts or others who are just tired of battling it out with computers are best advised to look at Mint or PCLinuxOS that come battle-ready from the box. There is the brand new MakuluLinux in tap now as well, promising a rewarding user experience.

I get my work done on a Linux box at the moment and my legit Windows complete with licence key is filed in a CD cover right next to my PC, just to show that I don't hate it at all. It just so happens that Linux works on my USB ports, to connect my phone to the Internet, without me needing to install some software suite. By the time my desktop loads, I am already online!

It is so simple and straightforward but tinkering can break it and then you can grey quite fast; been there, done that. No, just as I like peaches and pears, I like Windows and Linux. I just never buy apples.

MyWorld

Executive Member
Erm, BS!!!
Not dissing or defending, but I tried a dual monitor setup just now after reading this, all I had to do is add the the second monitor and KDE picked it up right away, gave me a setup wizard and done. Less than 5 minutes.

graviti

Yours took 5 mins. Mine detected out the box, automatically set it to clone. Go to monitor settings and change to extended, and done. Took me all of 30 seconds. And both monitors are unusual res for normal desktop setup. So I think multi monitor is a null argument these days.

MyWorld

Executive Member
Yours took 5 mins. Mine detected out the box, automatically set it to clone. Go to monitor settings and change to extended, and done. Took me all of 30 seconds. And both monitors are unusual res for normal desktop setup. So I think multi monitor is a null argument these days.
Hey, don't diss me, it took me a couple of minutes to find a VGA cable.
:(
:p

Mars

Honorary Master
Go and try osx and then then tell me all of that is so much easier. The only thing that would be easier is the dual monitor bit.
Windows is still more productive in my opinion but desktop linux isnt what it was a few years back. Its still exactly the same server wise but im guessing that is where you have your most experience.
Yea I have to agree with AJ on this one.

Its easy in Linux IF you have the right hardware. If you dont, you struggle and struggle. And linux is not as free as you say it is. Or maybe its not as free for the average user or if you have the wrong hardware.

I love the idea of linux (and android for that matter) but actually using it is not as simple as I would like it to be (the same goes for the droid).

ponder

Honorary Master
Same here with nvidia gpu and dual monitors.

Hey, don't diss me, it took me a couple of minutes to find a VGA cable.
:(
:p
:D

reneg8or

Some only notice a thick, black hair of around 50mm and a grey background. Others see the entire elephant.

reneg8or

Its easy in Linux IF you have the right hardware. If you dont, you struggle and struggle. And linux is not as free as you say it is. Or maybe its not as free for the average user or if you have the wrong hardware.

I love the idea of linux (and android for that matter) but actually using it is not as simple as I would like it to be (the same goes for the droid).
Love for Linux by no means imply dislike in any other. I have yet to find and OS that I really dislike. Oh, there was one, ages ago. My first computer was a Sanyo MBC-1100 with CP/M-80 OS. Horrid.

I even got on well with Vista, Me had hassles but no OS ever has been perfect. Windows really is more productive and, armed with Companionlink, one can even sync data between phone & Outlook in remote places where internet isn't around. Think of travel between Jozi and Windhoek, or across Bushmanland where 3G is a pipe dream.

I do enjoy Linux despite its quirks. It is easier after having lived 3 full years with it. Even so, I will easily revert to Windows.

reneg8or

Love for Linux by no means imply dislike in any other. I have yet to find and OS that I really dislike. Oh, there was one, ages ago. My first computer was a Sanyo MBC-1100 with CP/M-80 OS. Horrid.

I even got on well with Vista, Me had hassles but no OS ever has been perfect. Windows really is more productive and, armed with Companionlink, one can even sync data between phone & Outlook in remote places where internet isn't around. Think of travel between Jozi and Windhoek, or across Bushmanland where 3G is a pipe dream.

I do enjoy Linux despite its quirks. It is easier after having lived 3 full years with it. Even so, I will easily revert to Windows. At the moment, Linux connects to the Internet easily whilst XP SP3 on the very same machine keeps dropping connections.